Mount Fuji Gotemba Trail is a 21.1 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gotenba Shi, Shizuoka, Japan that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is best used from May until November.

Distance: 21.1 km Elevation Gain: 2,368 m Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

Completed back in August 2014. One of my earliest hikes and by far one of my most memorable. Incredible feeling to see the sunrise after starting at midnight.

Confirmed what all the official pages say. Gotemba is the way to go to avoid the crowds. Drove to the parking lot (only one not restricted to personal cars during the official season). Bullet climbed, starting at 2:15am to summit in 4+ hours just after sunrise. Circumnavigated the crater than ran down the loose scree in just over an hour. Back to Tokyo before noon. Trail gets steep at times, especially when you miss the uphill turnoff because you turn your headlamp off to enjoy the stars and end up on the downhill only section going up.

Great trail. Not too many people. Took me 4 hours up and 2 hours down but was going quick. And ran the downhill which was like skiing on the loose rocks. places to stay in the huts, but I preferred the challenge to summit in 1 day. If I did it again, I'd taxi to 5th station from gotemba hotel at 2am and hike up for sunrise. Can be back in Tokyo for lunch.

I like the longer length, but have not been on the other trails, so tough to compare. However, the joy of hiking on Fuji, masks some of the annoyances. For example, the slope is often so step that you slide back a step for every two. You also have to be careful for loose large stones, that appear solid. I was in the mountain May 23, so the trail was still officially closed. I am sure I was one of only a few that made the summit. It was slow going especially navigating around the ice fields. I did not have crampons.

Wed Sep 26 2018