Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Yamada Trail is a 5.6 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kunigami, Okinawa, Japan that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

5.6 km
230 m

cave

historic site

Loved this trail! Just bought new boots and this was a little break-in hike. If you are more mature or have knee issues, a hiking stick would be a bonus. Dog friendly. Beautiful. And very peaceful on a Sunday in January.

Easy trail. Fun with some nice view points. Weather was nice out so didn’t overheat. Lots of bugs, banana spiders and overgrown paths.

We had a good hike up. It had rained 2 days before and trail was slippery in spots. I loved all the different butterflies we saw. We made an error and returned on what looks like a road on the map, but it is years overgrown. We bushwhacked it though and made it out. Don’t get fooled with small blue or red 2x2’s on the ground as they appear to be markers to grave/tombs. I did not see the rocks with the purple arrows mentioned in Alyx’s post.

This was such a fun hike. We got a little lost but oriented once we hit the café. I took my 4 & 3 year old to do some bug catching and exploring; it was not disappointing. It was a great hike. Definitely take water and a walking stick for the spider webs.

A beautiful walk through bamboo and forest. I was able to find the multiple geocache hidden here. I didn’t make is all the way to the far end since the geocache was towards the middle of the hike. Will definitely come back to explore.

One of my favorite routes to run! We currently have it marked with purple arrow painted rocks (from the Explore Okinawa free group on Facebook) but it’s fairly manageable to find, even if someone swipes a rock! Enjoy the views !
Be sure to take the extra set of stairs closer to Onno no Eki market to get to see more ruins, an amazing view, and a hidden cave!
Kids and dogs can conquer this hike even though the full route is around 4 miles, just pack plenty of water for the Okinawa heat!

Great trail... great view at the observatory. There are a few narrow spots and a few places where the forest is overgrown a little. We took an 8 year old, a 5 year old and a 2 year old; they all did fine.

recorded Yamada Trail