Henan River "Ta-taki Waterfall Trek [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(36)
Kunigami, Okinawa, Japan

Henan River "Ta-taki Waterfall Trek [CLOSED] is a 2.4 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kunigami, Okinawa, Japan that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 2.4 km Elevation Gain: 68 m Route Type: Out & Back

closed

Note: This area is currently closed due to COVID-19.

closed

Closed April 24th until further notice due to COVID-19.

flooded

Water shoes highly recommended as you’ll have to wade across some water and go over lots of rocks. Trail was very scenic and beautiful, easy to do and you’re able to swim once you arrive at the waterfall! Water temperature was perfect in March, on the cooler side but so refreshing

Amazing waterfall at the end, there is also a rope swing! Great hike, in the water a lot and climbing over boulders

Water was perfect.

Great trail. You’re walking through the water the majority of the time so water shoes are amazing for this! It’s not physically demanding, more like a stroll to a beautiful waterfall. I wouldn’t recommend going right after it rains since the water will be higher it would be more difficult to see some of the rocks to jump across. The waterfall also has a rope swing so you can plunge in!

Short river hike with an awesome waterfall at the end. Not physically demanding, but it can be technical in sections. Plan to get wet. You must cross at least waist deep water in one section. You can hike the river the entire way starting from the parking area, or take the road that parallels the river for the first half. The pay-by-the-hour parking lot is open 0800-1730 with last entry at 1600. We paid 400 yen for 2 hrs. There are nice restroom facilities including a shower.

Even though majority of this hike is in the water, you should still wear closed toe shoes, the rocks are slippery and it’s better to be safe than sorry. Overall it was a fun like hike, there’s a rope next to the waterfall that you can swing from.

Great trail!! definitely bringing some shoes next time. Great swim when you get there clear water and just beautiful.

Did this trail with my baby in a carrier, everyone loved it and it’s a nice cool hike since you are in the water majority of the time. Can’t wait to do it again.

Tue Apr 30 2019

It's a little dangerous. It took my friend and I (two fit 20 yr olds) roughly 30 minutes to walk/climb through a rocky river to reach the water fall. I slipped from a meter high and collided my shin with a rock. I sprained my leg and was unable to bend it for a week. But please do this hike! if you're very careful, you won't get hurt and you will reach an incredible water fall where you can swim and lay in the sun. I would do it again with more caution. Also don't go if it has rained the previous day. water levels are too high and it's very dangerous

Wed Feb 27 2019

By far one of my favorite hikes! Pretty easy with a huge waterfall at the end. We have taken several family members out every time someone visits.

Fri Sep 14 2018

Great short trail that goes to the base of Hiji falls. I did it in sandals with my kids, 7 & 5, and my wife. We walked in the stream for the most part, so would recommend small backpack if you are carrying anything and plastic bags to keep electronics safe. My wife calls this a medium hiking trail. Cheers.

Sun Aug 26 2018

A great quick hike when visiting northern Okinawa

Sun Jul 08 2018

Absolutely perfect! Cliff jumps (15-20 ft) on the way to the waterfall. Once you’ve made it to the waterfall, a rope swing and a nice pool area for the family. Definitely doing this again.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Amazing trail. Easy to get to. The water fall at the end was worth getting wet

Wed Jun 13 2018

Short hike with easy to reach waterfall. Very enjoyable as we walk along the stream to reach the waterfall.

Sat Apr 07 2018

What a lot of these reviews didn’t say is that you’re hiking in a river bed and have to scale some rocks to get to the waterfall. Make sure you wear shoes that you can climb in and get wet. Still had a lot of fun with my husband and three year old in a carrier.

Sun Oct 29 2017

We headed out as a family to this hike. It was fantastic. The children loved it and defined it as an epic adventure!

Sun Oct 15 2017

The hike to the waterfall consists of walking along the river. It was nice to be wet the whole time until reaching the waterfall. I really enjoyed this hike. Next time I'll definitely waterproof my phone.

Sat Aug 26 2017

Loved this trail! Given the heat, having to walk through the river was so refreshing! Some areas the water was up to my hips (I'm 5'1). My husband loved the cliff jumping into the deep end almost to the end of the trail. And swimming through the waterfall was amazing. I also loved the ropes other okinawan locals put on branches to swing into the water! When we went there were a few children field trips enjoying the hike too so if your kid is adventurous, they'd love this hike for sure!

Sat Jul 08 2017

We completed this fun hike through the waters of the Henan River and visited the Ta-taki waterfall at the turn-around point. We entered the water at the corner of the parking lot, but there is another entry point if you walk up the road along the river for a bit. Overall, all four members of our group (youngest was 8 yrs old) completed the uploaded track and only required getting wet to a level of about 3-4 feet deep. There of plenty of areas that are suitable for swimming if you wish. Please read and follow all directions on the sign at the parking lot (see uploaded picture). It is especially important to stay out of the "river" during/after any rain as flash floods can occur. Overall, a very fun outing for a very hot Okinawa summer day.