Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Shioya Bay Paddle is a 11.6 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kunigami, Okinawa, Japan. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and is primarily used for nature trips.

11.6 km
118 m

beach

Kayak paddle from the beach just south of Shioya Bay, out and around Miyagi Island, and as far as possible up into the bay.

paddle sports

We stopped by late on a Sunday afternoon to paddleboard. Wind pushed us back sometimes when we rounded the peninsulas but it was flat where there shelter. Very tranquil. We even startled a cuttlefish or squid at one point, left a big ink cloud. Watch out for shallow rocks near the surface if you circumnavigate the island Miyagi is on. I took off one star just due to the water quality further back in the bay. There’s a lot of brown froth from erosion that was kind of gross and filmy.

paddle sports

I found this to be very challenging, yet, beautiful! I went on a Monday and no one but I was on the water creating a sense of shear tranquility. Seemingly, the only ripples on the water was that from my kayak. Moreover, the splash from my paddle would scare the schools of fish sending them flying in the air. Only one word to describe this experience.. Magical! I loved every second of this paddle and would do it again. Filmed the whole event using my GoPro, https://youtu.be/WbCNnLDsCWU