Okinawa Distance Hike (3-day North-South)

Okinawa Distance Hike (3-day North-South) is a 124.6 kilometer lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Kunigami Son, Okinawa, Japan that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from December until March.

125 km
3190 m
Point to Point

beach

city walk

After many years on Okinawa, I finally completed this hike from tip-to-tip of Okinawa (or at least close enough). I hiked for three days and I took a rest day before completing the third day of hiking. Day 1 (18 Feb 2017) was from Hedo Point to a hostel in Nago City (~30 miles). Day 2 was from Nago to Chatan (~30 miles). Day 3 was a rest day. Day 4 was from Chatan to Peace Memorial Park (~18 miles). Much of the route was along Route 58 which is a busy 2-4 lane roadway (especially in the mid-section of the island) going North/South throughout Okinawa. The first half of the hike is along the coast and the ocean is almost constantly present on your right side. The last day was in mostly built-up areas until the rural section near the end. I enjoyed the hike and the challenge of doing mileage day-after-day. My pack was relatively light and I was able to get food/drink from Family Marts, Lawsons, and the ever-present vending machines.