Mt. Katsuu Dake Trail

Mt. Katsuu Dake Trail is a 1.4 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kunigami, Okinawa, Japan that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking.

Distance: 1.4 km Elevation Gain: 147 m Route Type: Out & Back

The trail has plenty of parking and an onsite restroom. There is also a building at the south end of the parking lot that provides great views and picture opportunities. Once you hit the trail its uphill all the way but the trail is well maintained and pretty easy going. Overall the hike is short but provides a great opportunity to stretch your legs.

Steep climb from the start. Extremely rocky and muddy right after a rain. The view at the top is totally worth it though. Just consider this hike as a great leg workout!

Uphill hike most of the way. Very rocky, and can get slippery/muddy after a big rain. View from the top was worth the uphill battle.

Moderate length rocky hike with a short scramble at the end. Finishes strong with great views of Motobu. I took my dog but he is obedient and athletic. I don't recommend for most dogs. Kids 5+ should be ok.

I followed the signs for Mt. Katsuu. Parked on the side of the road and enjoyed a peaceful walk to the parking area for Mt. Katsuu. I'll be back and try to find the route for Mt. Awadake.

Did this trail again with just adults and again was blown away at the views! Great climb and a wonderful hike. Out and back was 1 hour for us (4 adults).

I have done this trail twice now and both times it’s been muddy but the view is amazing. I wouldn’t recommend taking young kids or dogs. Today I did it with my 15 year old and we made it to the top in less than 30 minutes and only got rained on a little bit. Coming down is the tricky part due to the rocks and it being so slick so be prepared. Took us about 40 minutes to get down.

Really loved this hike!! Took my 3 kids (12,8,6) and we got up in 30 minutes! Super short but you def get a good burn in with the incline! The views at the top were amazing and beautiful this was only my third hike on Okinawa so far but definitely will be a favorite of ours to do!

Don’t let the 0.9 miles fool you. It is a pretty rough half mile up and then back down. That being said, my 3 and 5 year olds did it with me and another adult today! It also took us two hours. BRING BUG SPRAY! Also, the butterflies were probably one of my favorite things about this trail. There were a ton of them. Big and beautiful! Happy hiking!!

Perfect distance. Great views!

Me and my husband and our kids, 6, 5, and 2 years old. My husband carried our 2 year old half the way since it was very rocky in some parts. They handled it like champs. Can be slippery on the way down, but took us about 50 minutes each way. Great work out and hike, especially if you are new to hiking! Great view, but not much room to maneuver at the top.

What a wonderful tree covered hike, till the last 40-50 meters, then you realize how high you are as the tree coverage is gone. The very last bit is very rocky and right on the side of the mountain so be careful. The view is worth it! We went with young children, and even saw people hiking in flip flops.

If you’re looking for a decently easy mountain trail with great views Katsu is it!

Fri Nov 23 2018

I hike this trail almost every weekend I love it!

Sat Nov 17 2018

Short trail with a quick ascent/descent. Last section to the top is mostly climbing on rocks. Rocks can still be wet and slippery after a rain.

Sat Nov 17 2018

Great hike. Trail can be slippery but with proper hiking shoes and a walking stick if you need, a beginner at hiking can do it.

Sat Oct 27 2018