Yamatokoriyama and Yamatokoizumi Castles Walking Tour

MODERATE 0 reviews

Yamatokoriyama and Yamatokoizumi Castles Walking Tour is a 10.1 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Nara, Nara, Japan that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking and walking.

Distance: 10.1 km Elevation Gain: 131 m Route Type: Point to Point




city walk

historic site

Yamatokoriyama, home of the Japanese Carp. Just a stones-throw from down-town Nara lies Yamatokoriyama-shi (Yamatokoriyama City) with, as it's centerpiece, Yamatokoriyama-jo (Yamatokoriyama Castle). The area is also famous for the "Yamatokoriyama Goldfish", so much so that the city is often associated with the species. As you follow this course you will be taken by some of the many goldfish-ponds that dot the area. In 1576 Tsutsui Junkei (1549 to 1584), one of the most powerful warriors of the region in feudal Japan at the time, united the Yamato Province by overcoming the rising local Samurais.In recognition of his accomplishment, Junkei was appointed to the position of Lord of Yamato by Oda Nobunaga (1534 to 1582), a Daimyo or powerful territorial lord and in 1580, he moved to Koriyama where he strengthened the existing fortifications and built Yamatokoriyama-jo. Four years later Junkei would pass-away and occupancy of the castle would be transferred to Hashiba Hidenaga (1540 to 1591)a chief retainer,who made some improvements to the castle, as well as instituting many local reforms. In 1595,Mashita Nagamori (1545 to 1615), a Daimyo,moved-into the castle, but soon abandoned it when he lost at the "Battle of Sekigahara" (a decisive battle on October 21st 1600 which cleared the path to the Shogunate for Tokugawa Ieyasu). The castle soon fell into disrepair, but, in 1615,Mizuno Katsushige (1564 to 1651), a Daimyo, was commissioned by Ieyasu to reconstruct the castle. From 1619,when the Mizuno Clan were transferred to Fukuyama,until it's final abandonment in 1873, Yamatokoriyama-jo would be occupied by four different Clans. In 1983 the Otemon, a gate or entrance, was reconstructed followed a year later in 1984,with the reconstruction of the Ote Higashisumi Turret. The final piece to be reconstructed was the Otemon Watari Turret in 1987. The Moat, Towering Stonework and overall Rustic Charm, are all that really remain of the original castle. But the grounds are quite extensive,and,during "Cherry Blossom Season" (April/May)and Autumn(October/November) the colors are abound and along with the many historical buildings, Yamatokoriyama-jo is a very-picturesque sight to behold. From the top of the castle's foundation, you can see the "Five Story Pagoda" in Nara Park. Very little information exists regarding Yamatokoizumi-jo, just that it is believed that construction commenced sometime between 1332 and 1391.In 1623 the castle was modernized into a fortified residence by the Katagiri Clan,then,in 1673,the inner moat was completed along with further enhancements to the fortifications.But,unfortunately,in 1873 the castle was abandoned then demolished, as was decreed. Today, very little remains of Yamatokoizumi-jo. The area around Yamatokoriyama station and Yamatokoriyama-jo are well signposted as well as markings on the footpath.

No one has reviewed this trail yet. Be the first!

Featured Trails