Mt. Rokko Trail

Mt. Rokko Trail is a 17.4 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashiya, Hyōgo, Japan that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 17.4 km Elevation Gain: 1,253 m Route Type: Out & Back

The trail up to Mt. Rokko is very nice with beautiful views over Osaka and Kobe. Starting from Ashiya will lead through a very rocky landscape and most locals wear gloves to not cut their hands. While hiking downhill to Arima it seemed that completing the trail from west to east, starting from Arima, must be much easier. A map or GPS tracking is highly recommended as all trail signs are in Japanese language, only the distance signs give an indication of direction.

Didn't bring enough water in summer, ran out halfway through so I had to drink from a stream (do not do this). Thought I was going to die, literally drenched in sweat the whole way. 5/5 most exciting and interesting hike I've done yet. Take either the cable car or the mountain tram back down the mountain.

There were a ton a people today.

We made our first attempt at Rokko Mountain today and it was tiring and fun. This is definitely a hard hike, and as other reviewers have mentioned, there is quite a bit of rock scrambling at the beginning. it pretty much either goes up or down without much in the way of a flat course. The trail itself was very fun and somewhat technical. The views were good, not great because there were only maybe 3 vantage points worth trying to take a scenic shot from. We also stopped, ate, and turned around about four miles in at the restaurant. The restaurant was a godsend to me because I ate too light a breakfast. not the best restaurant in the world, but the location couldn't have been better.

A great trail. There is some scurrying over rocks to be done and some almost climbing, so only attempt if you are confident with heights. Trail requires moderate-high fitness. If you feel you are somewhat fit and don't mind a bit of scurrying/climbing then sure, give it a go. I started the track from the Koza falls (a right hand start about 50m back from the falls themselves).

I got lost on my first attempt at this hike (google maps sent me on a highway around the mountain) so I tried again. I’m glad I did. Loved it. The beginning of the trail has a tough scramble up boulders through the waterfall (and therefore the end of the hike is the same on the way down). The rest of it is very runnable with nice soft trail that alternates (undulates?) between flat and about 5-10% grade. I was wearing Inov-8 Roclite 290 trail shoes and they were perfect for the terrain. I also had gloves on for the cold and that proved helpful because the technical bits required quite a bit of hand action for balance and boulder-hopping.

I followed Google maps from Ashiya station and got totally lost. Ended up walking on a major highway. I got lucky on my way back and found a trail up Mt. Kannon, which was also very cool. But now I’m determined to try the Mt. Rokko route again next week.

Great trip. We did the trip with our child in the backpack and it was really challenging. We only met locals and it was a great experience. Unfortunately the restaurant near the top was closed and we were starving after his challenging uphill hike....

Saturday, July 14, 2018

This trail is what hiking is all about. I was intimidated by the description of "experienced hikers" because I tend to minimize my experience. Yes it is challenging but I will now officially call myself experienced because it was not intimidating. However if you think hiking is mostly flat terrain or gentle inclines then this might not be for you. I missed the summit because I didn't realize I was there. When you get to the restaurant at the road, zoom in on the map, I think you need to follow the road around the curve for the view. I am disappointed I missed the view but it was definitely an excellent hike.

Monday, November 20, 2017

Beautiful trail and a great little workout! It's a bit steep on the way up but once you reach the peak it's an easy trek down to the Arima area. Stopped in at the Kin no Yu onsen to soak in the natural, mineral enriched waters - absolute must! Trail signage is all in Japanese with multiple forks, so make sure your GPS device or phone is charged to last the distance.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Beautiful trail that provides a great workout climbing. Note that there are two ascents to make it to the top. If you want to return to Kobe instead of Arima, then follow the trail along the road to the right. It will take you to the top of the cable car for a descent. There is some up and down hiking through here, but avoids the road with traffic and no road shoulder.

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Awesome trail with great chances of meeting locals that complete the trail about twice a week.

Sunday, May 20, 2018