Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mt. Rokko Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashiya, Hyōgo, Japan that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.8 miles Elevation Gain: 4,110 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail up to Mt. Rokko is very nice with beautiful views over Osaka and Kobe. Starting from Ashiya will lead through a very rocky landscape and most locals wear gloves to not cut their hands. While hiking downhill to Arima it seemed that completing the trail from west to east, starting from Arima, must be much easier. A map or GPS tracking is highly recommended as all trail signs are in Japanese language, only the distance signs give an indication of direction.

Loved this hike. The Rock Garden scramble was fun, the view from the top was amazing, and the hike down to Arima Onsen was an interesting aside. A variety of ups downs and flats, as well as different terrain, and the purple flowering trees were amazing. It helps to have a photo of the Japanese characters for 'Mt. Rokko' and 'Arima Onsen' to help with navigation. (No English signs at all.)

Great day out with good views good for part-time hikers, not a short trip!

Quite crowded when I went - a weekend in late autumn - so going was a little slow. Made it to the top in around 4.5 hours, while stopping for many breaks and lunch. Wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be, with steep sections interspersed with flatter sections. There were many kids and older people going alongside us.

These are some pictures on the top of Mount Rokko. You can see the city of Kobe,Osaka very well and beautiful night view from there.

Una caminata de diez. En total me pasé dando vueltas por el monte 6 horas. Todo muy bien. Finalmente bajé a Arima y de ahí volví en autobús a Osaka. A mí me costó y terminé cansado, anduve unos 18 kms y gran parte en subida. La bajada de dos horas fue rápida pero la subida por momentos complicada porque elegí senderos secundarios. Con unas mandarinas, un par de plátanos, medio litro de agua y un poco de chocolate me alcanzó para todo el día. Lo recomiendo!

A nice trail that is strenuous at times...but nothing a bit of rest and water can't fix. Do not pay too much attention to the comments below with regards to difficulty. Personally, I would place this at a Moderate to Hard as oppose to just Hard. Definitely give it a go

It was a very nice trail, we went on a rainy day so no nice views for us but it was still awesome. Very rocky terrain, but the signs were all in Japanese so without the app we would probably have taken a few wrong turns.

Didn't bring enough water in summer, ran out halfway through so I had to drink from a stream (do not do this). Thought I was going to die, literally drenched in sweat the whole way. 5/5 most exciting and interesting hike I've done yet. Take either the cable car or the mountain tram back down the mountain.

Sat Apr 13 2019

There were a ton a people today.

Fri Apr 05 2019

We made our first attempt at Rokko Mountain today and it was tiring and fun. This is definitely a hard hike, and as other reviewers have mentioned, there is quite a bit of rock scrambling at the beginning. it pretty much either goes up or down without much in the way of a flat course. The trail itself was very fun and somewhat technical. The views were good, not great because there were only maybe 3 vantage points worth trying to take a scenic shot from. We also stopped, ate, and turned around about four miles in at the restaurant. The restaurant was a godsend to me because I ate too light a breakfast. not the best restaurant in the world, but the location couldn't have been better.

Mon Jan 21 2019

A great trail. There is some scurrying over rocks to be done and some almost climbing, so only attempt if you are confident with heights. Trail requires moderate-high fitness. If you feel you are somewhat fit and don't mind a bit of scurrying/climbing then sure, give it a go. I started the track from the Koza falls (a right hand start about 50m back from the falls themselves).

Sat Dec 29 2018

I got lost on my first attempt at this hike (google maps sent me on a highway around the mountain) so I tried again. I’m glad I did. Loved it. The beginning of the trail has a tough scramble up boulders through the waterfall (and therefore the end of the hike is the same on the way down). The rest of it is very runnable with nice soft trail that alternates (undulates?) between flat and about 5-10% grade. I was wearing Inov-8 Roclite 290 trail shoes and they were perfect for the terrain. I also had gloves on for the cold and that proved helpful because the technical bits required quite a bit of hand action for balance and boulder-hopping.

Thu Dec 27 2018

I followed Google maps from Ashiya station and got totally lost. Ended up walking on a major highway. I got lucky on my way back and found a trail up Mt. Kannon, which was also very cool. But now I’m determined to try the Mt. Rokko route again next week.

Sun Sep 09 2018

Great trip. We did the trip with our child in the backpack and it was really challenging. We only met locals and it was a great experience. Unfortunately the restaurant near the top was closed and we were starving after his challenging uphill hike....

Sat Jul 14 2018

This trail is what hiking is all about. I was intimidated by the description of "experienced hikers" because I tend to minimize my experience. Yes it is challenging but I will now officially call myself experienced because it was not intimidating. However if you think hiking is mostly flat terrain or gentle inclines then this might not be for you. I missed the summit because I didn't realize I was there. When you get to the restaurant at the road, zoom in on the map, I think you need to follow the road around the curve for the view. I am disappointed I missed the view but it was definitely an excellent hike.

Mon Nov 20 2017

Beautiful trail and a great little workout! It's a bit steep on the way up but once you reach the peak it's an easy trek down to the Arima area. Stopped in at the Kin no Yu onsen to soak in the natural, mineral enriched waters - absolute must! Trail signage is all in Japanese with multiple forks, so make sure your GPS device or phone is charged to last the distance.

Wed Aug 30 2017

Beautiful trail that provides a great workout climbing. Note that there are two ascents to make it to the top. If you want to return to Kobe instead of Arima, then follow the trail along the road to the right. It will take you to the top of the cable car for a descent. There is some up and down hiking through here, but avoids the road with traffic and no road shoulder.

Sun Dec 18 2016

Awesome trail with great chances of meeting locals that complete the trail about twice a week.

recorded Recording - Dec 29, 04:11 PM