Blue Mountain Peak is a 16.4 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Penlyne Castle, Saint Thomas, Jamaica that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

16.4 km
1,244 m

Jamaica's World Heritage Site, the Blue and John Crow Mountains National Park, is one of the richest biodiversity sites in the world and a nature-lover’s paradise. It is home to over 1,300 flowering plant species, the largest butterfly in the Americas - the 6-inch Giant Swallowtail and over 200 species of native and migratory birds. The broadleaf forest bears the footprints of two of the oldest communities in the Caribbean - the Amerindian Taino and the Windward Maroons. The national park covers over 100,000 acres (41,000 hectares) in eastern Jamaica and includes Jamaica's highest point - the Blue Mountain Peak at 2,256m.

Visitors can enjoy nature walks and hiking, birdwatching, camping and stays in wood cabins complete with fireplaces. The Blue and John Mountains National Park is managed by the Jamaica Conservation and Development Trust (JCDT); a registered charity. The JCDT maintains three main recreational areas within the park, Holywell Recreational Area and Cabins, the Blue Mountain Peak Trail and Portland Gap Cabins - the last rest stop on the Peak Trail. Income from recreational facilities supports the management programme in the Blue and John Crow Mountains, which includes, reforestation and invasive species control, trail maintenance, resource monitoring and community education.

It has been my dream to hike Blue Mountain to reach to peak. We hiked from Whitfield Hall Hostel to the peak (about 7 miles). Let me tell you something friends, the soreness that I feel today is worth it. It is not everyday that one has the opportunity to stand above the clouds and laud such natural beauty. The Blue Mountain is not just home to the best coffee there are some endemic plant species, lichens, mosses and calla lilies that were so perfect they looked like plastic. As we emerged from the Elfin Forest at the peak I felt triumphant and fatigued at the same time. Whose great idea was this? Now that I am up here who the hell is going to take me down? I had this brainwave that Jeff would carry me on his back but he asked if I thought he was a jackass. The hike up was challenging yet doable. Going down was excruciating. I did not pack my hiking boots and feet suffered as they did have the support that was needed. Great hike. Bucket list item checked.

Great trail for any time of day. We started around mid day and still were able to complete before 6 pm. Did a video review for anyone interested: look for Sailing Knotty Maria on YouTube or follow this link: https://youtu.be/cwA78g-SG1w

Jacob's Ladder at the beginning of the hike was a challenge but overall a moderately difficult hike. I did the sunrise hike which starts at 2:30 AM.

Saturday, February 18, 2017