Stromboli Island Loop is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Vicenzo, Sicily, Italy that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,611 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail requires accompaniment of local guides. 900m in altitude, descent on dusty skiing, seen a beautiful eruption. it is worth the expense, even if the guides could put a little bit of added value.

Mon Jun 03 2019

The hike itself was not my favorite, as you have to go with a guide in a group, and there are hundreds of other people all doing the exact same hike at the same time, so you feel like a conga line or herd of cattle climbing a volcano. It is very steep, and even though I hike often, I found the climb to feel quite strenuous as we neared the top... this was steeper than the hike I just did to Upper Yosemite Falls! The volcano was pretty active yesterday, and the view from the top was absolutely incredible. There was a lot of volcanic dust and gas coming out of the craters, so I had to cover my face and wear sunglasses in the dark at times. The tour guides really should supply dust masks and safety goggles. We probably breathed a questionable amount of toxic gas, but it was worth it to witness an active volcano at dusk and night! I brought trekking poles and I’m really glad I did. This hike is very hard on the knees, not just because of the incline, but the steep descent in changing depths of sand. I used my wool hat, gloves, and many layers of wool and down at the top after the sun went down. Soon after descending I was sweating, so pack a lot of layers!

Sun Jun 02 2019