Cinque Terre Trail to Portovenere

Cinque Terre Trail to Portovenere is a 25.3 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Monterosso al Mare, Piedmont, Italy that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

25.3 km
1,588 m
Point to Point

beach

historic site

Walking trail connecting five coastal towns in Italy. Check trail closures before you plan your trip - portions of trail are often temporarily closed. You can take the train between villages where trail is closed.

If there was a UN World Heritage Hikes list, this would be near the top.

This app is hopeless, the maps won’t load even if you have pro.

Incredible hike! The whole thing is actually 32km long.. took me 6hrs to finish.. I confusing in some of the villages to find the right way.. I have the gpx file if anyone wants it.. email me at dagham67@gmail.com

This hike was a spur of the moment, the wife and I decided one morning to see how much ground we could cover. We are very active, in our minds it was fairly easy. There were some breathtaking views of the Mediterranean Sea but there was also a lot of time off the coast. Will do this again next time we are in the area, great way to breakup the gluttony of vacationing in Italy!

Great coastal trails with village stops!

This is a beautiful stretch of coast all located in Liguria (not in Piedmont). Best in spring and autumn (but the sunsets in the winter may be magic).

The terrain is manageable by most people. There is nothing technical or hard but lots of ups and downs and steep sections. There’s were some people wearing walking sandals but a better choice would be to wear athletic shoes and definitely not flip flops. Some might find it difficult if doing the hike in one day. We started in Monterosso around 8 o clock in the morning to avoid the August heat. Remember to bring lots of water on a sunny summer day as many parts of the trail are not shaded. We made 30- 60 minutes stops in each town then took the train back to Monterosso. We regretted not spending more time in each town. This was one of the most beautiful hikes we have done with lovely views of the sea and grape vineyards along the way. As we proceeded along the trails we were treated with gorgeous views of each colourful towns as they came into sight.

excellent and fun

Fantastic hiking trail! breathtaking views and you can stop in all the town's to explore along the way. great day.

Well trafficked trail easier going south to north. Otherwise mostly uphill. Gorgeous vistas of the towns, terraces and sea. Do stop to take photos along the way. Don’t forget water and enjoy a cold adult beverage with lunch when you get to a town. Go early for less traffic and lower temps. If you are too tired to hike back, take the train.

Most beautiful hike I've ever done, it's a long day but we stopped in every city to explore before continuing. Loved the cat sanctuary!!!

Great

Did this twice. It was amazing both times.

Great hike with my wife and kids. We hiked from Vernazza to Monterossa al Mare in March. Great views! My kids 11, 9, and 5 had a great time especially with the gelato reward at the end.

We started from Monterosso to Riomaggiore, a short section was closed when we hiked back in 2015. Beautiful hike through terrace of grape vines, scenic and colorful towns, churches, ancient towers. Great foods, yummy wines, and awesome experience. After completed the hike, the next day, we took boat trip from La Spezia to Monterosso, so we could see Cinque Terre from a far, spectacular views, well worth it.

Sections of the trail were closed when I hiked here in March 2016, so I only walked from Monterosso to Vernazza. I loved every bit of it. The colors of the water, the vineyards and terraced gardens, the boats, the sunny harbor and dark, narrow canyons of the village paths...

As good as it gets.

This was the best hike I have done in Italy

Loved this. Hiked only
Part of this and had to train to two of the cities. It is simply beautiful but quite a challenge both climbing uphill and steps and then rocky down. But worth the views completely. Very good. Would so
Do it again if I get to go back.

A great hike and great scenery all the way from Monterosso to Riomagiorre. The leg from Monterosso to Vernazza could be quite challenging for some as there are literally 100s of stairs to climb. We had great weather and quite a warm day, so ensure you have water. The track was closed between Corniglia and Riomaggiore, but it is an incentive for us to go back and do it again!!! The picturesque villages are just a bonus along the way and there are plenty of photo opportunities.

Monday, September 11, 2017

It was an amazing day from motonrosso to corniglia(the rest was closed)! The weather was overcast and there was practically no one on the trails! It was nice to have steps but I was sore for days after this hike!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Thursday, July 27, 2017

I visited Cinque Terre in late-October and although it was pretty much end-of-season, this fairytale land stole my heart. I absolutely LOVED this hike. You can piece it up as you wish, taking advantage of the train that stops at each town to supplement return hikes. My friend and I stayed in Vernazza and hiked different segments across a couple days to give us equal time to explore (and eat our way through) the villages. Be aware: although these trails are easy-to-moderate, any amount of rain can make them dangerously slippery with mud. This is a definite must while visiting northern Italy!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

My wife and I hiked a section of this trail system back in 2014. Would have done the whole stretch from Riomaggiore to Monterosso, but the first section was washed out still. So we took the train to Riomaggiore anyway, then a ferry to Vernazza, and then hiked from there to Monterosso. What a great hike. It was definitely warm the day we did it. Bring water!!!. The coastal views back down the Riviera were awesome. Some great spots to get good photos. I would do this again for sure, but would wait till I knew some other sections were open again.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

This was the most beautiful hike I've ever gone on. It was a warm day and at times very steep but the views were worth it! We started in Riomaggiore and ended in Monterosso. It was a bit more than 14 miles. Once in a lifetime views!

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

I spent some time living in Italy and have done this trail several times... and STILL I go back time and time again. It is unlike anything else.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

This was such an amazing hike. Due to the coastal route being washed out we had to travel up and over all of the cities. Most people start in Montorosso and end in Riomaggio. We started in Levanto and ended in Riomaggio. This ended up being a total of 18.5 miles for us. Make sure you purchase your Cinque Terre pass upon arrival and get it stamped when you start the hike. This pass is only about 30 Euros pp and includes all your buses and train rides for the day. Since we were staying in Levanto it was our train ride back that was only about 15 mins. If you start in Levanto it will add about 6.5 miles to the trek. It is definitely worth it. We only saw one group the entire way to Montorosso. Once you get through Montorosso it was so crowded and some people are out for a leisurely stroll. You have to be aggressive and say pardon on your left/right and just pass otherwise you will be struck forever. There are so many groups of kids too. Most of the groups are only going through one town and not doing the entire hike. We started at 9 am and ended at 5:30 pm. Killer dinner in Riomaggio too.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Very nice in May.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

There are sections that are closed. Hiked from Verano to Monterosso. pretty much a straight uphill steep trail up and the same coming down. Give yourself a little extra time to enjoy the views.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Monterosso to Vernazza. Amazing but very crowded in the towns. We went in September and it was unusually hot and dry.