Sentiero Azzurro: Vernazza to Monterosso

Sentiero Azzurro: Vernazza to Monterosso is a 3.7 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Vernazza, Liguria, Italy that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until November.

3.7 km
210 m
Point to Point

beach

This is the fourth and final section of The Blue Trail, also known as Sentiero Azzurro, which connects all five main villages of Cinque Terre. This section connects Vernazza to Monterosso al Mare. It is a moderate hike, with some tough stairs and inclines. It offers great views of both Vernazza and Monterosso, as well as the ocean along the way. For a list and maps of all Sentiero Azzurro (Blue Trail) segments: https://www.alltrails.com/lists/sentiero-azzurro-the-blue-trail A Cinque Terre card is required to use this trail.

Glorious views, well maintained, nice variety - cliff, stream, oceanside - glad we did this off-season as it has many narrow spots.

We started from Monterosso to end up in Vernazza. It was absolutely beautiful. We ended up getting the day train pass from the Spezia train station which included the trail entrance fees. Definitely should wear good hiking shoes or tennis shoes. The first half was all up hills with lots of little stone stairs so if you have joint issues, might be a bit challenging. But you can take it leisurely so very doable. The views are spectacular of the sea and also the. Vineyard studded hill side. We made it to vernazza just before sunset. Stunning. No bathroom on the trail so go before. Would definitely recommend. Took us close to 3 hours because we went on a leisurely pace, stopping to take thousands of pictures. Bring plenty of water As well.

Splendid!

My favorite hike so far! Absolutely breath-taking views. I was in awe the entire time. It is definitely more strenuous than I thought, but very doable even for a novice hiker.

There are a lot of stairs on the Monterosso side. We went from Vernazza to Monterosso in October. Beautiful weather, bordering on a bit too warm. However, there is a lot of shade, and let's face it, you don't mind with those views!

Trail is very beautiful though it can be quite rough and steep at times, though walked past plenty of people over 65+ and some were overweight walking this path so for most people it can be done. Add on as many other walks in this area to create a bigger hike, as I believe most people walk or have walked from Corniglia - Vernazza with this hike.

Moderate - Heavy Traffic, Moderate Difficulty

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!

Beautiful! Wish I had my hiking poles with me.

great hike. trail is very narrow in places. uneven terrain and stairs in numerous locations. I left Vernazza at 830am, when I arrived in Monterossa there was an attendant charging people for access to the trail. no attendant at Vernazza. I have no idea if you hike early it's free or I just got lucky. the climb from Monterossa is very, very steep and long.

It’s definitely a challenging trail.

Incredible views throughout! Definitely not for the faint of heart or those wearing flip-flops. You will sweat. A lot. Bring water, wear sturdy shoes or better yet hiking boots. Bring a few euros for a chance encounter with an 80 year-old man selling fresh squeezed orange juice and grapes along the way!

Very crowded and hot! No shade, but coming into Vernazza is worth it! The climb up and the descent are steep.

Beautiful hike, we went from Monterosso to Vernazza. I liked doing the steepest section at the beginning. Picturesque hike and some stunning views.

loved this hike with my family. Beautiful views the whole time.

Rating it only a 3 because it was a LOT harder than the easy ratings I saw here. My iPhone app said we did over 59 “floors”. It is only 2.3 miles or so, but the up and down, and the footing made it pretty tough on this 64 year old! Took us 2.5 hours going from Monterosso to Vernazza. Views were spectacular to be sure. But it was not easy.