Cinque Terre Trail to Portovenere

Cinque Terre Trail to Portovenere is a 25.6 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Monterosso al Mare, La Spezia, Italy that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

25.6 km
1431 m
Point to Point

historic site

Walking trail connecting five coastal towns in Italy. Check trail closures before you plan your trip - portions of trail are often temporarily closed. You can take the train between villages where trail is closed.

As good as it gets.

This was the best hike I have done in Italy

Loved this. Hiked only
Part of this and had to train to two of the cities. It is simply beautiful but quite a challenge both climbing uphill and steps and then rocky down. But worth the views completely. Very good. Would so
Do it again if I get to go back.

A great hike and great scenery all the way from Monterosso to Riomagiorre. The leg from Monterosso to Vernazza could be quite challenging for some as there are literally 100s of stairs to climb. We had great weather and quite a warm day, so ensure you have water. The track was closed between Corniglia and Riomaggiore, but it is an incentive for us to go back and do it again!!! The picturesque villages are just a bonus along the way and there are plenty of photo opportunities.

It was an amazing day from motonrosso to corniglia(the rest was closed)! The weather was overcast and there was practically no one on the trails! It was nice to have steps but I was sore for days after this hike!

I visited Cinque Terre in late-October and although it was pretty much end-of-season, this fairytale land stole my heart. I absolutely LOVED this hike. You can piece it up as you wish, taking advantage of the train that stops at each town to supplement return hikes. My friend and I stayed in Vernazza and hiked different segments across a couple days to give us equal time to explore (and eat our way through) the villages. Be aware: although these trails are easy-to-moderate, any amount of rain can make them dangerously slippery with mud. This is a definite must while visiting northern Italy!

My wife and I hiked a section of this trail system back in 2014. Would have done the whole stretch from Riomaggiore to Monterosso, but the first section was washed out still. So we took the train to Riomaggiore anyway, then a ferry to Vernazza, and then hiked from there to Monterosso. What a great hike. It was definitely warm the day we did it. Bring water!!!. The coastal views back down the Riviera were awesome. Some great spots to get good photos. I would do this again for sure, but would wait till I knew some other sections were open again.

This was the most beautiful hike I've ever gone on. It was a warm day and at times very steep but the views were worth it! We started in Riomaggiore and ended in Monterosso. It was a bit more than 14 miles. Once in a lifetime views!

I spent some time living in Italy and have done this trail several times... and STILL I go back time and time again. It is unlike anything else.

This was such an amazing hike. Due to the coastal route being washed out we had to travel up and over all of the cities. Most people start in Montorosso and end in Riomaggio. We started in Levanto and ended in Riomaggio. This ended up being a total of 18.5 miles for us. Make sure you purchase your Cinque Terre pass upon arrival and get it stamped when you start the hike. This pass is only about 30 Euros pp and includes all your buses and train rides for the day. Since we were staying in Levanto it was our train ride back that was only about 15 mins. If you start in Levanto it will add about 6.5 miles to the trek. It is definitely worth it. We only saw one group the entire way to Montorosso. Once you get through Montorosso it was so crowded and some people are out for a leisurely stroll. You have to be aggressive and say pardon on your left/right and just pass otherwise you will be struck forever. There are so many groups of kids too. Most of the groups are only going through one town and not doing the entire hike. We started at 9 am and ended at 5:30 pm. Killer dinner in Riomaggio too.

Very nice in May.

There are sections that are closed. Hiked from Verano to Monterosso. pretty much a straight uphill steep trail up and the same coming down. Give yourself a little extra time to enjoy the views.

Monterosso to Vernazza. Amazing but very crowded in the towns. We went in September and it was unusually hot and dry.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

beautiful .

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Not your typical hike through the vineyards and incredibly picturesque towns. We did this over a couple of days, be sure to have a glass a vino in each of the 5 lands.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Breathtaking view

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Ummmm, goddamn spectacular and exotic! Hot even in the Fall and a little more taxing than we expected (must have been all the sedentary life and pasta eating we enjoyed in the days leading up to it). Few people on the trail this time of year.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Monterosso to Vernazza. Lovely little beachside hike. Interesting view of the small working vineyards. Crowded with sweaty and huffing tourists. A lot of people talk about the difficulty of this trail, but conditions were what I would consider average, and elevation made it a breeze for this Utahn. Trail was closed from Manarola to Corniglia and Riomaggiore, plus My lovely wife was waiting for me back on the beach in Monterosso. Love the Cinque Terre!!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

We started from Portovenere, took the ferry to Monterosso, hiked from Monterroso to Vernazza, ate and swam in Vernazza, hiked to Manarola then took the train to Corniglia and Riomaggiore. Lots of hiking in each town. Great experience.

manarola to corniglia was closed.
corniglia to riomaggiore was closed.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

I only hiked from Monterosso to Vernazza and it was a constant stunner. It's legitimately one of the most exhausting hikes, in terms of the trail: it's legitimately straight up stairs for the vast majority of the hike. But it's not without the constant reward of gorgeous views. The ocean was always on one side and even when it isn't, the trail is made more unique by little homes sprinkled throughout the mountainside with grape fields and even a little homeless cat community (make sure you bring snacks for these guys; they'd grearly appreciate it).

At the end of this hike, treat yourself to a glass of red and fresh fish on a patio in Vernazza. One of my greatest memories!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

I visited this area in 2004 but it's one of my all-time favorites among my many travels. Each section between two of the towns is different... some are easy, wide and paved and others are not for the faint of heart (or the clumsy) as they're little more than goat paths along the ocean cliffs. That said, anyone can hike at least a piece of this! Though there are no cars, a train links the five villages, and then I caught a boat down to Porte Venere (not one of the five but the next town over) and walked up and around the castle there. You can hike, and ride, and spend time wandering the cobbled villages and view the amazing terraced vineyards. Make sure you try gelato at a few different shops and take time to sample the amazing wine.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

one of the best hikes I've completed. definitely an accomplishment. every second is a song for the eyes.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Note that the section of coastal trail from Manarola to Coniglia is closed with no current plan to reopen it anytime soon (as of 25/10/2015). It is the section known as Via dell'Amore.

The views from the top trail are well worth the time and work to get to. Some of the trail between Manarola and Volastra are very narrow with steep drop-offs.

paddle sports
Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Challenging hike, incredible coastal views, quaint villages with yummy mid-hike treats

Monday, August 03, 2015

Beautiful sights along the Med. My favorite place is Vernazza, best part of the walk is Vernazza to Monterosso. If you're going to be staying in the area, again I'd recommend making Vernazza your home base.

Monday, July 20, 2015

The first day we hiked from Monterosso to Vernaza then onto Corniglia and back on the sea level trail that's the most popular. The views of the Mediterranean were breathtaking. Occasionally we came across someone's home. There were many vineyards and a few waterfalls. The trails were well maintained. It was more challenging than I expected. It's lovely to hike and stop in the little towns for espresso and focaccia. Just carry some water with you.

The second day we took the train to Riomaggiore. (Parts of the sea level trail between the lower towns were closed.) We explored there. Be sure to stop at II Pescato Cucinaton for a paper cone of the days fried fish. We took trail 531 to Manarola. It was steep and full of switch backs. Only 1.3 k, but challenging.

From Manarola, we walked on the sea side trail until we could see Corniglia and the landslides that had closed the trail. If it had been open, the hiking would have been as easy as walking along a boardwalk.

Put this on your bucket list and plan time to explore the charming little towns!

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

10/10/2007 - Walked from Vernazza to Riomaggiore, then took a boat back up to Monterosso and the train back to Vernazza. Put it on your bucket list. This place is amazing.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Beautiful area with great trails. Highly recommend.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

I hiked all 5 towns in one day, but I wish I hadn't!! If you have the opportunity- please take a few days and enjoy eating the amazing seafood and talking to the very interesting coastal natives.