Cinque Terre Trail to Portovenere

Cinque Terre Trail to Portovenere is a 25.6 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Monterosso al Mare, La Spezia, Italy that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

25.6 km
1836 m
Point to Point

beach

historic site

Walking trail connecting five coastal towns in Italy.

It's seems like a dream as I hiked this ages ago with some fellow travelers while going around Italy. Extremely scenic while providing me with fond memories.

I visited Cinque Terre in late-October and although it was pretty much end-of-season, this fairytale land stole my heart. I absolutely LOVED this hike. You can piece it up as you wish, taking advantage of the train that stops at each town to supplement return hikes. My friend and I stayed in Vernazza and hiked different segments across a couple days to give us equal time to explore (and eat our way through) the villages. Be aware: although these trails are easy-to-moderate, any amount of rain can make them dangerously slippery with mud. This is a definite must while visiting northern Italy!

My wife and I hiked a section of this trail system back in 2014. Would have done the whole stretch from Riomaggiore to Monterosso, but the first section was washed out still. So we took the train to Riomaggiore anyway, then a ferry to Vernazza, and then hiked from there to Monterosso. What a great hike. It was definitely warm the day we did it. Bring water!!!. The coastal views back down the Riviera were awesome. Some great spots to get good photos. I would do this again for sure, but would wait till I knew some other sections were open again.

This was the most beautiful hike I've ever gone on. It was a warm day and at times very steep but the views were worth it! We started in Riomaggiore and ended in Monterosso. It was a bit more than 14 miles. Once in a lifetime views!

I spent some time living in Italy and have done this trail several times... and STILL I go back time and time again. It is unlike anything else.

This was such an amazing hike. Due to the coastal route being washed out we had to travel up and over all of the cities. Most people start in Montorosso and end in Riomaggio. We started in Levanto and ended in Riomaggio. This ended up being a total of 18.5 miles for us. Make sure you purchase your Cinque Terre pass upon arrival and get it stamped when you start the hike. This pass is only about 30 Euros pp and includes all your buses and train rides for the day. Since we were staying in Levanto it was our train ride back that was only about 15 mins. If you start in Levanto it will add about 6.5 miles to the trek. It is definitely worth it. We only saw one group the entire way to Montorosso. Once you get through Montorosso it was so crowded and some people are out for a leisurely stroll. You have to be aggressive and say pardon on your left/right and just pass otherwise you will be struck forever. There are so many groups of kids too. Most of the groups are only going through one town and not doing the entire hike. We started at 9 am and ended at 5:30 pm. Killer dinner in Riomaggio too.

Very nice in May.

There are sections that are closed. Hiked from Verano to Monterosso. pretty much a straight uphill steep trail up and the same coming down. Give yourself a little extra time to enjoy the views.

Monterosso to Vernazza. Amazing but very crowded in the towns. We went in September and it was unusually hot and dry.

beautiful .

Not your typical hike through the vineyards and incredibly picturesque towns. We did this over a couple of days, be sure to have a glass a vino in each of the 5 lands.