Path of the Gods: Bomerano to Positano is a 8.7 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bomerano, Campania, Italy that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September.

8.7 km
318 m
Point to Point

This is the most famous Amalfi Coast hike. The starting point is in Bomerano, and can be accessed by local bus 5020 leaving from the main bus station near the beach in Almalfi. This can also be done as a day trip from Naples using public transportation. The hike features breathtaking views of the coastal towns and the natural beauty of the Italian coast as you hike from us on the bluffs down to sea level. The hike is rocky and the end is hundreds of stairs down to Positano. You can also follow signs to head down earlier, and you will find yourself in Arienzo instead. From here, it is a short hike along the road to Positano or the bus back to Amalfi. If you instead start in Positano and hike to Bomerano, be prepared for a more challenging, uphill hike

path of the goats (because literally goats) is fabulous. i did the reverse. from Positano-starting at the steps near Arienzo SİTA bus stop and hiked up to Bomerano. to go back take SİTA bus from Bomerano to Amalfi and then from Amalfi to wherever.

Every corner presented new and beautiful views.

One of the rare parts of amalfi where you can get away from the rush and take in the beautiful coastline. I do not advise doing it twice in one day (return journey) as coming from Positano on the return had about 150 floors worth of stairs which hurt coming down, let alone going up after the hike and spending the day in positano, but I have no regrets.

Difficulty : Moderate - Hard, with the stairs the killer whether that be at the start or the end. Saw numerous amounts of older people (65+) struggling at stages but i do believe they all lived to tell the tale!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!

A must-do while you are on the Amalfi Coast. The most gorgeous views you will have of the coast line. Everything I had read said the entire path takes 4.5 hours but my wife and I did it in about 2. There are plenty of places to stop along to way, a few picnic tables if you decide to bring something to eat.

I would recommend starting in Bomerano and ending in Positano. It’s much harder if you start in Positano because you have to walk up about 1,000 stairs to even get to the path. The path itself is also more strenuous from the Positano side.

Incredibly breathtaking. It may be one of my favorite hikes of all time. The air is crisp and fresh and the views are spectacular. If you start in Positano and take the steps to Nocelle and then start the path in the very early morning (before sunrise) we found less people, if any at all. I’ll be dreaming about this hike for sometime.

Breathtaking views and undulating hills make for a wonderful hike on this ancient walk.

Performed this hike with my partner. She is not to used to the elevation and imbalanced surfaces that the loose rocks imposed on her and thus the duration took a little longer. However, I must give her credit, we begun in Positano and climbed up several thousands of stairs (or at least it definitely felt like it) and we took the stairs to the top to the highest point for pictures in the rocky arch. We then went back on the decent to return to the path in which we continued to hike to The end of the trail in Bomerano.
All in all the hike was picturesque and remarkable. I would love to do it again. For an experienced moderate to experienced hiker I would say it could be completed in 2.5-3hrs (fast paced, no recovery spots). For the more irregular or inexperienced hikers I’d say enjoy the view, take the time to stop and enjoy the scenery, encapsulate every minute of your surroundings, take as many pictures as you can and definitely stop and the little cafes (1 or 2) along the way for a picturesque drink and relax. So, take your time. Extend the hike from a 2.5h fast paced hike to a 5-7h enjoyable cruise.
Happy hiking ✌️

Started in Praiano and made my way up to Bomerano. The trail up from Praiano to Bomerano definitely has some overgrown plant areas but the trail is generally easy to find. Views of the Mediterranean get better as you go up and the mountain inlet is covered in local lemon farms built into the mountains side. There were some small sheep as I got close to Bomerano, but they were heavily guarded by guard wolves. The wolves chased me as I made my way on the route I had planned so I had to take a 2 mile detour into the town of Bomerano rather than cutting through it to get straight to the trailhead. The hike from the start of the Path of the Gods to Nocelle is one I will never forget; they were some of the best views I have ever seen. After resting in Nocelle, I continued on to Positano. I felt like I walked down 1,000+ stairs to make my way to central Positano. I caught a ride back to Praiano on the hourly shuttle and finished up the day at Marina di Praia Beach. The whole hike took me around 7 hours. The hardest part was making my way up to the trailhead because it was a 2,000+ ft. climb up. A definite must-hike if you are staying on the Amalfi Coast.

Great trail that makes for a challenging trail run due to some polished rocks. Nocelle has convenient parking for those heading east-to-west (and back). While certain online sources quote 7/8hours, the return trip is more likely to be a 4hours one for an experienced hiker.

Good for views. And for walking up hundreds of steps.

Of all the walks along the Amalfi Coast that I've done, the Sentiero degli Dei is definitelynthe most well-sign-posted one. Being the most well-known and well-marked trail, it's also the busiest, but ifnyoynhead out early enough in the day (think 7-8 a.m.), you'll avoid both the worst of the heat and the crowds. Going earlier in the season - think late May to early June rather than July and onwards - can also help thin out the crowds. Trainers or hiking boots will do well enough on the path; just make sure your trainers have adequate grip for some of the steeper sections with loose rock chips going uphill, and a few patches of slightly slippery dust-coated rock headed downhill.

There are water taps along the route, so no worries about needing to bring a lot with you. The trail alternates between exposed, sunny sections and shaded forest sections. For those with accessibility needs, there are some porting companies that can help with finding the best route for you (not sure of any specific company names though, sorry).

If you're into climbing, there are some sections with cliff faces for scaling! Pretty sure it's mostly trad, didn't notice much bolting, as per alpine tradition.

All in all, the route feels fun. It's not the most challenging, but offers opportunities for lots of different types of outdoor enthusiasts. It may not be "gnar," but it's worth stoke - and the views are gorgeous!!!

Easy to moderate hike itself. Unfortunately, went during a cloudy day so the views were obscured and the path was also closed onwards from Nocelle. So we had to take the stairs from Nocelle to Positano. Still worth doing the hike though as it’s a great trail that’s well marked and as busy as it is, it’s easy to separate yourself from other groups and hike in the peacefulness of nature.

So beautiful.

If you're looking for a great view, you won't find a better one around! This hike is truly spectacular. We started the trail in Praiano, where you walk up approximately 5 million steps to get to the actual path. We had almost reached the top when we got caught in a storm -- thunder, rain and hale! Luckily we happened to be right next to a cave/ overhang so we hit out there until it eased up a bit, then we ran up the last flight of steps to the monastery. Once up there, we were offered espresso and water and got to pet these 2 sweet pups who lived on / near the monastery property. Luna and Lilly! Aside from the views, that might've been the highlight of my day. Haha. So -- after the rain stopped and we dried out a bit, we continued up the mountain to the trail. This is the one part of the hike from Praiano that gets tricky. Others have said the trail of the gods is easy and you could do it in sandals, but this part is rocky and pretty treacherous unless you're really fit. I would recommend hiking shoes if you're joining up on the trail from Praiano, because while it's not necessary for the rest of the hike, it is helpful if it's slick outside for these rocky bits near the monastery. Don't get me wrong, it's not really hard, but it can be a little scary if you're not used to being at the edge of a cliff.

Must do! a beautiful hike! I would HIGHLY recommending stopping once you hit the highway. Everything after that is not very scenic, long and a lot stairs. We did the whole trail and got lost for a portion of it. You will have to cross the highway and walked through the woods unmarked.

Amazing hike!!! Breathtaking views along the way! Would definitely do it all over again if in the area. Did this hike as a part of group tour and with a guide and so glad I did it this way as not sure if I’d be able to find it on my own...trails here are not marked very well...if in Amalfi coast take the time to do this hike. It’s so worth it!!

Took the bus from amalfi to Praiano then took what felt like a million stairs up to the path of gods. If you decide to start here just be prepared to be walking up steep stairs for about an hour. Definitely worth it but a little harder than we expected. When the path ended, we had trouble finding our way out to positano but it was also getting dark. Start to finish it took us about 5 hours but we were probably a little slower than normal because my wife is 6 months pregnant. Ended taking a taxi back to amalfi for $75 euro because we were too tired to find the bus.

Monday, November 06, 2017

Path of the Gods was a hiking trail with amazing views! For the most part I did not feel the trail was very difficult. It was well traveled so easy to follow. The most difficult part was the 1700 steps down at the end. Very tough on the knees.

Monday, October 30, 2017

Magnificent hike no question one of the best of our lives. Hike towards positano to walk towards the breathtaking view

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Fantastic hike with unbeatable views. Did the day after traveling here to kick some jet lag. Would not recommend it if it recently rained/is raining...would be too slippery/muddy. Follow the red dots on your hike to know you're on the right path...

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Awesome! Definitely recommend doing the hike from Praiano (sign for Furore, across from Marina di Praia) and download a map before you go. It doesn't always follow the yellow blazes. Once you hit the actual Path of the Gods, the work is done. Just enjoy the beautiful views.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Amazing. Gorgeous views. Very hard, especially in the rain wearing a skirt and sandals. Were not sure we were on or off trail at some points. No rails and felt a bit dangerously near a steep cliff at points. Glad I did it.

Thursday, September 14, 2017

No exaggeration… This is the most beautiful trail I’ve ever been on. If your mother passes away and you are in this area for only one day to attend her funeral…I would highly recommend you skip her funeral and do this trail instead if you can’t do both. Seriously though, this trail is legit!

Thursday, September 07, 2017

It was the most incredible hike of my life!

Sunday, August 06, 2017

The most incredible views, absolutely fell in love! I would do this hike again in a heartbeat.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Just one word..: amazing!

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Great hike! End in Positano to hike downhill. It is not difficult. Our 5 year old twins did the main hike in about 4 hours.

Friday, July 14, 2017

Beautiful hike!!!!!! Views are amazing from the top .. worth every sweat!

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Breathtaking views...first time I've felt "high" hiking a trail!

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Beautiful overlook of the Mediterranean Sea, terraced farms, goats, etc... a must. Arrive I'm Bomerano early (we arrived at 8am and was plenty of parking available) because the parking lot can get full.