Path of the Gods: Bomerano to Positano

Path of the Gods: Bomerano to Positano is a 8.0 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Agerola, Campania, Italy that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until September.

Distance: 8.0 km Elevation Gain: 291 m Route Type: Point to Point

This takes the most famous Amalfi Coast hike - The Path of the Gods - and extends it to Positano. The starting point is in Bomerano, and can be accessed by local bus 5020 leaving from the main bus station near the beach in the town of Almalfi. The bus may say “Agerola” or “Agerola (Bomerano). This can also be done as a day trip from Naples using public transportation. The hike features breathtaking views of the coastal towns and the natural beauty of the Italian coast as you hike from us on the bluffs down to sea level. The hike is rocky and the end is hundreds of stairs down to Positano. You can also follow signs to head down earlier, and you will find yourself in Arienzo instead. From here, it is a short hike along the road to Positano or the bus back to Amalfi. If you instead start in Positano and hike to Bomerano, be prepared for a more challenging, uphill hike

Incredible walk. You do not need a guide, although I’m sure a guide can give you insights into the history of the path and the surroundings you find yourself walking in. My wife and I started from The Bomerano end out of Amalfi. When you catch the Argerola Bus in Amalfi center, just let the driver know you are going to Bomerano. He will make a point of stopping. The start of the walk is on the left side of the road and slightly behind the bus stop. Walk through town and look for signs and a red mark on the stones to lead your way. If there are questions about directions, ask a local. They are happy to help. Before you start, there is a nice coffee shop at the stop. They are friendly and accommodating. A quick espresso is a nice way to start a walk. Here are a few simple suggestions. Wear adequate walking shoes. We saw a few people in sandals. While they probably succeeded in completing the walk, I am certain their poor feet were not happy. There is a fair amount of scrambling. Nothing terrible, but not fun in sandals. Second, if it’s summer, start as early as you can from Amalfi. The first bus was 7:10 a.m., and although the entire walk only took us three hours, it was getting hot when we descended into Positano. Three, take your time. Enjoy the scenery and views. We saw far too many people in far to big of a hurry. I guarantee they did not have the same experience my wife and I did. You have lots and lots of time. It’s not a race. The walk is described as taking 4 to 5 hours. As I mentioned, it only took us 3, and the last 45 minutes of that was the 1500 stairs from Nocello into Positano (we found that to be the most difficult part of the walk). Plus, we stopped for a LOT of photos. Finally, take a hat and at least 48 ounces of water per person in your group. Hope this was helpful. Enjoy! It was one of the most beautiful, if not THE most beautiful walk I’ve ever been on.

Did this trail in October, there was no shade and > 25 degrees C. I recommend to bring a lot of water, sunscreen and comfy clothes cause it is a long and sometimes a bit tiring :) but 100% recommended! Sea view it’ stunning. Would do it again.

Hiked from Bomerano to Nochelle in 2 hours after a one hour cab ride out of Sorrento. Great hike and very easy for the whole family. Beautiful views from soaring cliffs along the Almalfi Coast. Only complaint is much of the trail is up in the clouds which takes away from the views a bit. Still well worth doing....wish we had time to continue into Positano.

Beautiful hike! We took the 8am bus from Positano to Nocelle. We then hiked Nocelle to Bomerano and back to Nocelle. We stopped for lemonade in Nocelle and then took the 1500 stairs back down to Positano. The stairs were a little tedious and hard on the knees and ankles. The views on the hike were amazing. It was definitely worth it and I would do it again if I return. We are in ok shape in our 30s and took it slower but still fairly quickly with a lot of pictures on the way to Bomerano, but had a faster pace back to Nocelle/Positano even though the trail was much busier on the hike back. We were back at our hotel at noon (it was 1201 to be exact). The last stretch from the stairs to Positano was a busy street, so we did run when cars were not coming to speed it up- for safety more than anything. So depending on your speed the hike can be done from Positano in 4 hours round trip leaving time for more activities later in the day. The bus from Positano to Nocelle bypassed walking up the stairs and was well worth the 1.30 Euro per person. I would also recommend starting as early as possible to avoid crowds. 8am was ok, but would likely start earlier in the future.

If you start in bomerano the trail is relatively flat most of the way. Great views nothing difficult about the terrain. The trail will end above Positano at a overlook from there you walk down a lot of stairs to get down to street level with another 5 minute walk into positano

Fantastic walk! Hiked up from the Positano ferry in thick sea fog so didn’t see the views but the path was still nice. Had to wait for large groups coming down in the morning so took 3hr45 to Bomerano. On the way back down the fog had lifted to a large extent and the views were lovely. Took 2hr45 on the way down and as it was the afternoon there were far fewer people on the trail. If going one way, would recommend an afternoon walk to avoid all the large tour groups that seemed to only be there in the morning.

Absolutely loved the view!

Wonderful trail that provides all types of train and views. Begins and ends in fun towns that gives you a great taste of Italy.

Absolutely worth it with breathtaking views!

Recommended walk of the Amalfi coast. Bus to Bomerano then hike the way down. Relative fitness needed but plenty of places to take a breath/enjoy the views. Many users on the trail so hard to maintain a good pace. Still worth it, plenty of shade and sun during middle of the day

The most BEAUTIFUL hike I have ever done. In general it’s easy. However there are some spots that are a bit more challenging requiring you to go up or down some rocks. WELL WORTH IT! We took the SITA bus from Amalfi. The views are SPECTACULAR. To Nocelle takes about 3 hours where you can take a local bus to Positano. Of you can continue for approximately another 1.5 hours down 1500 steps into Positano for some incredible views of Positano. The last bit will be on the crazy Amalfi coast road to get all the way into Positano but the views were worth it. We went in early May and arrived in Bomerano around 9am and we did have to share the path with some people but it was NOT super crowded. We then took a water taxi from the beach back to town we were staying in Praiano. If you are in this area this is a MUST DO! If you would like more info on hikes get this book. “Sorrento, Amalfi, Capri. Car tours and walks”. It had good directions to hike and how to follow it. It was a well marked path. Follow red dots.

Simply one of the most breathtaking views I've ever seen. A beautiful walk, just perfect

Beautiful views of the southern Amalfi Coast with added excitement from the local goats, sheepdogs and shepherds. Wildflowers are in abundance including poppies and brilliant yellow broom which contrasts amazingly with the azure sea. Highly recommended trail that is on the easy side of “moderate”.

The trail has wonderful views for almost the entire time. A little yellow dog walked with us for an hour before finding a new couple to hike with. We also saw a goat and some lizards. It was a great hike! Make sure you buy your Sita bus tickets before you reach Positano.

Spectacular Hike! Comparable to hiking in Yosemite. Do not skip this, more difficult than “Moderate” rating. If you are in Positano take the Ferry to Amalfi €8.00; then a taxi or bus to Bomanaro, a taxi will drop you at the Start, bus leave you 15 minutes away. The hike finishes with a long walk down steps. Bus stop near bottom of steps. Recommend NOT starting in Positano due to long uphill climb! Ciao...

Nice view! Near Positano there are many cafes near the path)

AMAZING. WE WENT THE LOOP AFTER BOM.....and down

Definitely go back!

Amazing hike. I could have stayed a week. The little dog met me when I got off the bus in Bomerano and stayed with me for well over half of the hike, then disappeared.

As shown in the pictures, this hike is absolutely breathtaking. A few tips to make this hike go smoothly: - If you're traveling from Sorrento on the SITA bus, go early and don't return super late. You'll find yourself with a crowded bus, certainly on the later return trips back to Sorrento. - If you get motion sickness, take some Dramamine before you get on the bus. Yes, it's that twisty. - There are two stops in Agerola/Bomerano. They should let you off at the one where you see a big sign to the left of the drop off point with a cobblestone walkway to the right of it (the start of the trail). - I will strongly caution you not to do this hike from Positano to Bomerano. The 1,600 or so steps that take you from Nocelle to the outskirts of Positano will make your legs feel like jelly going DOWN. I can only imagine how they are hiking up from Positano. - Other than the Nocelle steps, the hiking isn't very difficult. A few elevation climbs a mile or so out of Nocelle. - At the bus stops in Positano, be sure to wave the SITA bus driver down. We waved them down too late and they simply ignored us. So we had to wait another 30 minutes for the next bus. It was very crowded. But yes, I would definitely say this is one of the most beautiful hikes in the world.

The views on this trail can’t be beat. It’s an easy to follow trail, some parts more difficult than others. The stairs at the beginning or end are horrible, but well worth it for a hike like this. Grab a sandwich and picnic above the world. ❤️

An incredible trail. The natural and man-made beauty along the way is insane, and the trail allows you to meet some very friendly locals and animals as well. If you do one hike in your lifetime, do this one. Simply amazing.

The most amazing hiking trail I’ve encountered yet. Grab a sandwich from the mom-and-pop grocery and stop at the entrance of the advanced section for a bite before heading upwards. Stay on the lookout for the wild goats, you’ll hear them as you get closer - listen for bell sounds. They’re super nice and will let you feed them.

12 minutes ago This is a hike you will remember for the rest of your life. We hiked from bomerano to the shore of Positano and it was the most amazing hike I have ever completed. The views are so amazing it is hard to comprehend that they are real. If you are visiting the amalfi coast and in good physical condition, I 100% think you should do this hike. I couldn't think of one other thing that I would rather do if I were in this area again. This hike will take you the better part of the day if you plan on taking you time and soaking in all the views, plus stopping in Positano for some much needed food after the long hike. Also, the trail can be difficult to follow sometimes. Keep an eye out and bring a map.