Learn more

Snake Path is a 1.1 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Arad, Southern District HaDarom, Israel that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.1 miles Elevation Gain: 994 feet Route Type: Point to Point

historic site

Masada is a UNESCO Heritage Site and the second-most visited site in Israel, after Jerusalem. Masada, the last fortress of Jewish freedom fighters protesting Roman rule, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and national park. Its camps, fortifications and assault ramp constitute the most complete surviving ancient Roman siege system in the world. Because of its history and the wonderful condition of its ruins, its second in popularity only to Jerusalem as an Israeli tourist destination. Herod, a Roman king of Judea, created Masada in 37-31 B.C. as a winter palace. In 66 AD it served as a fortress against a Roman attack. The snake path was a "back door" to the fortress and rarely used at the time. Today there are around 700 steps that cover 2 km, and gain 350 m (1,148 feet) in elevation. This trail is frequently completed by taking the tram back down, but you can also return the way you came or take the path down the other side of the plateau.

I hated and loved this trail...we hike the Snake Path on June 2019, very early in the morning and we got to see the sun raising over the Dead Sea and the Judaean Hills. Strenuous and hot but worth every single step

Fall 2019–sunrise hike was spectacular

fee

It was a comfertable day (15 C with a nice strong breeze) to climb the Snake Trail. It was a well marked trail and yet, I found the trail difficult due to its steep slop to the top. To hike to the top and return was 39 IS which included covered parking and entrance fee to the archeological digs. We paid extra 20 US and went down by the cable car. Recommended.

It was a grinder but worth it this morning!!!

Short hike, great view. Better to do early morning, before it gets too hot.

Tue Apr 23 2019

I did a self-supported race summiting Masada via the Snake Path 9x through the early morning to afternoon. This route is arduous, but fulfilling whether you are hiking up/down one time or multiple. 9x will give you just over 10k ft of ascent or 3,050 meters and about 25 miles or 40 kilometers. If you want the real experience, forgo the gondola ride all together. For ultra runners and those in mountain running, this is a technical, mostly single-track course that's more like stair climbing than running trail as its composed largely of stone steps. For the gravel sections, it's loose stone with embankments you can use to your advantage. You don't want to fall on the downhill on this trail as the risk of injury is real. I made the mistake of going out too hard and did not use poles on the first 4 trips. This caused my legs muscles everywhere to lock up for the remainder of the day so if you're make a serious workout out of this, slow and steady with spot on nutrition and hydration is a requirement. FYI, you'll burn through electrolytes as it's dry and hot here. Miscellaneous: - Have your receipt for the entry to the trail handy as you'll be asked for it nearly each trip - if you want to get in additional running, but more flat, try running from the trail entry to park entry- it's a long road but not flat. For zero grade I went to Arad and ran alongside the Dead Sea in town to finish my miles. - this is a very special place to run...the views are unique and beautiful - the Dead Sea couldn't be a better place to soak your legs in afterward, I had zero swelling the morning after...just start early enough so you can get into the sea before dark

Fri Mar 15 2019

Short. Heavy Traffic. Nice climb

Wed Oct 31 2018

amazing trail, went on it downhill in 90 degree weather. took about 35 minutes

Tue Aug 28 2018

Worth every step. Take extra water and a hat- all sun.

Sun Jul 15 2018

Amazing hike! You must go before sunrise

Tue Jun 26 2018

Amazing

Sun Mar 25 2018

Awesome short duration intense hike. If you have not hiked or been active take the gondola instead. Take one or more water up with you and the same amount goi ng down. If planning to walk down after hiking up be sure to take a good break of 60 minutes. I made it up in 31 and down in 21. I took one shade/water break early and a few quick water breaj s up, sat with a man for a minute who almost turned back about 2/3 of the way butf I heard he finished after an hour. it was about 95*F when I hiked Mesada. I'd love to do it again some day. Be ready, and if hiking back down be sure footed and know your quads will get a good workout. Bring water!

Sat Feb 03 2018

Amazing track

Mon Jul 10 2017

Current favorite trail I've done. I went, mistakenly, at midday which made it that much harder, but the ruins at the top make it very worthwhile. Took the tram down.

Tue Jun 27 2017

Beautiful for sunrise hike!!

Sun May 14 2017

Done in 35min, start early

Fri Apr 28 2017

I did this hike 2 years ago on a spur the moment decision. I was waiting in line to go up the tram and 2 of my friends decided they were going to hike it so I decided to join them. I had never hiked any kind of mountain previously. I would say that at this time I was not in the best shape and I struggled a lot with this climb. I completed it and was so proud of myself. I will be returning in 4 months and am hoping to do this again. I am in much better shape now than I was then.

Sun Apr 23 2017

Great views.

Sun Feb 19 2017

The hike was hard and the heat was about 102 but it was so worth it. I'd do it again in a heart beat. The views, the culture, there's nothing like it.

Wed Oct 19 2016

Truly a spectacular hike site for views and for culture. The hike isn't terribly long, but it is rather vertical, so young children are certainly discouraged and no pets. The top is completely open so if you're going in the summer (even arriving for sunrise) please be aware it is very warm and be sure to bring water. There are place on top to refill them. Highly recommended if you have the time.