Wicklow Way (Complete)

Wicklow Way (Complete) is a 128.9 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Brockagh, Wicklow, Ireland that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

129 km
5,033 m
Point to Point

The Wicklow Way is a long distance walking route that starts in Marlay Park and finishes in the village of Clonegal, Co. Carlow. It is the oldest such route in Ireland, having opened in 1981. It was originally devised in 1966 by J.B. Malone, an author who wrote a regular column on hillwalking for the Evening Herald newspaper. The Wicklow Way forms part of the European long-distance walking route E8 that runs from Dursey Head, County Cork, Ireland to Turkey. The first stage, between Marlay Park and Knockree in the Glencree Valley is approximately 20km long. It starts amid the pleasant surroundings of Marlay Park in the south suburbs of Dublin before ascending Kilmashogue Mountain where panoramic views of Dublin can be enjoyed before the trail passes over the top of Kelly's Glen and into the Glencullen Valley. The city is quickly left behind as the vista of the Dublin and Wicklow mountains opens up for the first time. The trail descends into the Glencullen Valley near Tibradden Mountain and follows the road to the hamlet of Bornaraltry. The path then begins the ascent of the southern side of the Glencullen Valley, climbing towards Prince William's Seat. Close to Prince William's Seat, near a rocky tor known as Raven's Rock, the trail reaches the Glencree Valley, leaving County Dublin and entering County Wicklow. It descends into the valley through Curtlestown Wood before passing along the side of Knockree, a solitary hill sitting in the middle of the valley.

Wonderful journey.

Friday, April 14, 2017

My wife and I went to Ireland just for this trail. We were able to complete it in 7 days, staying at B&Bs each night along the way. We took the path from South to North, however, starting our trek in Clonegal and ending at Marlay Park in Dublin. I am glad we took this direction, as it made the trail get more interesting the farther we got in. The southern section of the trail is mostly farm land with trails through pine woods. There are quite a few stretches where we were walking on roads with cars periodically whizzing past us. In my opinion, this was the best way to experience a new country; walking through it. The countryside is gorgeous, as are the wooded areas. We did not see too many other walkers until we got near Glendalough, so that was nice as well. I do think I assumed it was going to be easier than it was. Some of the uphill stretches are much more steep than some of the mountain hikes near Los Angeles. Also, we carried all of our items in our packs, and if I could do it over again, I would have brought less clothing. I would have brought maybe 2 outfits of athletic materials that I could wash in the sink and dry overnight. My pack was about 30lb, and after 12-13 miles each day, it got pretty cumbersome.

Monday, July 24, 2017