Carrauntoohil via The Heavenly Gates

hard(14)
Killarney National Park

Carrauntoohil via The Heavenly Gates is a 11.6 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

Distance: 11.6 km Elevation Gain: 937 m Route Type: Out & Back

Lovely hike . on a clear day .wount your wits about you on way down

A wonderful hike and we went via the zig zags and knocknatoini and then up the saddle to the summit of Carrantoohil. We then came down by the devils ladder which involves some scrambling. A seven hour up and down but great views and without the doubt the alps of Ireland.

Great hike, started off in the morning around 9 with heavy cloud cover above 1000ft or so. Took the right side of Carrauntoohil up. The path up there is steep but if you hang to the left of the waterfall and hug the left side of the rock face its just a matter of walking up the rocks. Once I reached the lake close to the top of the mountain. Absolutely stunning by the way. I was told by some locals that there are three gullies that lead to the top. The far left is the most difficult and ends up at the very top, the middle one is not as difficult but requires a bit of rock scrambling. There were two instances where I needed to climb up about 8-10 feet or so but it was very nice. The actual trail is the gully on the right and is the easiest way up. Once I hit the top of Carrauntoohil coming on the way down there were three options for me. Either the heavenly gates, the zags, or Devils Laddar. Advise against going down devels ladder but it is doable if it's dry out. I took neither of these routs down as the clouds disappeared and had the urge to climb the neighboring mountains. I kept going until I bumped into another local who informed me that I would not need to backtrack my way to my previous 3 options down. There is a ridgeline leading down from the peak right before Knocknapeasta. It is fairly safe even in wet conditions as the boulders are porous and dig into the rubber on your boots very nicely. I went barehanded and had no issues with cuts. The local said to stay on top of the ridgeline as it is tempting to deviate to the right or left but it gets much steeper and is deceptive. once down the ridgeline you just walk across the field and through the exit mouth of the lake at the bottom. It is shallow enough that there are plenty of rocks to walk across on. Absolutely beautiful hike! Never hike alone like me! I'm an idiot, if you are an idiot like me, always let someone know when and where you are going to be back so they can send help! BTW there is very good cell service all along the mountain, intermittent at some spots but very good.

Beautiful trail. We went up Devil’s Ladder then came down Heavenly Gates. Warning- unless you have the map downloaded and can track yourself on the app as you climb down Heavenly Gates, DO NOT go down this way. Can be very easy to lose the path if you are not experienced with this hike as the path is not clear. Many people have gotten stuck along this trail and have needed to be rescued. Lovely hike all around. Took us 7 hours.

Do not attempt on windy, rainy day.

Sat Jan 19 2019