New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Gunung Gede Trail

Gunung Gede Trail is a 17.7 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cianjur, West Java, Indonesia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking.

Distance: 17.7 km Elevation Gain: 1,638 m Route Type: Out & Back

This is Gunung (Mount) Gede and you reach the summit via the Gunung Putri Trail. There is camping at Alun Alun Surya Kencana and you can also complete a loop trail via the Cibodas Trail.

fee

it was pretty unsafe due to heavy rain. steep tracking with some track have elevation >60°. Breathtaking view in Surya Kencana and the Summit.

Hiking to Mt. Gede is my first 'real' hiking experience. Hiked from Cibodas basecamp at 7am and camped at Kandang Batu at 12pm. We prefer Kandang Batu post due to easy access to water, less crowded, and flatter terrain. The trade-off is, you have to go earlier for summiting if you want to catch sunrise on the top. Started our summit attack at 3am, but reached the summit at 7am. However, it was a great experience!

Sat Oct 13 2018

mantab

Sat Sep 29 2018

Good

Sun Jul 01 2018

man5ap

Sat Jun 16 2018

Nice trail, and very creepy when its night

Sat Jun 09 2018

if you are interested in mystical trail and you can get the permit, try mt Gede Rumpang Cliff trail. Get the experience stay one night at the edge area of the crater contiguous the climb trail to Kandang Badak. Via this trail you come to the volcano crater then you come to the trail to Mt Gede Summit if turn the left or if you go/climb straight you will come to Kandang Badak. In 1986 I had experience slept one night at that area (I got only one night stay permit from the Mt Gede Authority). Remember use good quality of ⛺ tent only. The view via Cibereum waterfall is better but the experience climb via Rumpang Cliff will give you unforgettable experience.

Thu Apr 19 2018

Good trails

Mon Jul 10 2017

Completed this hike during the monsoon season. The trail was wet and there was heavy rain. This didn't stop people from hiking or camping on the mountain. Once you arrive you will have to check in at the ranger station and pay for ticket. I didn't see a single ranger on the trail though nor did anyone ask to see my permit. I paid 45$ for mine, since I am a westerner and they charge us more. Once you set off on the trail there is a river that is on your right side and is warm due to the volcanic active. There is also a lot of wild animals including monkeys. There is a point in the trail where you cross a hot spring waterfall and it is incredibly slippery. They do have hand rails to assist you though but the water is pretty hot. When we arrived at the camp ground, it was completely full and over crowded. I took a break and then continued on to Gede. The trail gets pretty steep and will require ropes to help you scramble up. Upon reaching the top there was a group of small stores that sold food and water. It also gets pretty cold at the top due to the elevation. Also, not sure if the stores are there 24/7 or if they arrive based on the willingness of eager opportunist. Once I took my photo and ate I head back down. The total trip took me about 11 hours. This wasn't the best hike I have ever done. I think it was due to the rain and the fact that the trail wasn't taken care of. This include trash and how people treated the area, especially at the camp site.

Sat Jul 21 2018