Mount Rinjani (from Senaru) is a 15.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lombok Utara, Sumbawa, Indonesia that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking.

Distance: 15.2 miles Elevation Gain: 8,740 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a great hike! We got to the rim and the view was obstructed by cloud cover, but that ended up making for a spectacular evening. You felt like you were literally sleeping in the clouds. The view in the morning was beautiful. This isn't an easy hike by any means and is pretty steep at times. They recommend you use a guide which provided us with porters. At first the idea felt strange, but it actually really added to the experience. They were wonderful and very fun to be around. We stayed at the Rinjani Lighthouse Lodge before and after our trek and I highly recommend it.

just came back today. jan 27 2020 be in shape for this trek, the Crater rim view amazing

When you reached the rim, The Majestic Beauty will take your breath away. I used Rinjani Hero as my trekking guide they are an amazing company well organized. They will organize all your needs, transportation from your hotel to your next destination and they will make your hiking a pleasure with an abundance of food and nice accommodations at the rim

Superbe treck avec une vue garantie à l’arrivée. Coucher et lever du soleil spectaculaire. Ascension et descente sportives!

Sat Feb 23 2019

Trail is fairly well used but it seems less so recently due to the earthquakes in July and August 2018, rendering large parts of the trail impassable. This includes the trek down into the crater and the climb to the highest peak. I have done shorter more intense treks and longer less intense treks and this one sits somewhere in the middle - 2 days of steep and often uneven trekking. The first 2 thirds of the trek is through jungle with tree roots and fallen logs making up the “stairs”, along with slightly muddy trails. In some areas the trail edges along the top of landslide, but the trail is sturdy. The jungle gives way abruptly to grass tufts and sparse alpine trees and the view as you ascend is beautiful. This is also the steepest part of the trek and the path is a mixture between volcanic acres and and football sized stones all the way to the crater rim. Upon arrival at the rim you are rewarded with a view of the caldera, containing a lake, which itself contains the newly forming “baby volcano”, which can be seen smoking. It really can’t be described fully in words, the magnificence of it all! Absolutely breathtaking! Perhaps one of the most beautiful views I have had the privilege of witnessing! There are many comments in other reviews about the amount of rubbish left along the trails... there is some, but not so much as I expected, besides the campsites at the crater rim. If using a guide (which I did) expect to pay between 1.7m and 2.5m rupia, which included transport from Bangsal to Sanur, 1 night lodging in Sanur w/ breakfast, a motorbike to the trail starting point, a guide, a porter, all meals during the trek (yum), tent, sleeping bag, foam roll for a mattress, and some generally good company! Night time on the rim was windy and around 10 degrees Celsius. I brought with me a small day bag with some snacks and my warm clothes, power bank and valuables. The only thing I might have brought extra would be some knee braces and perhaps a small first aid kit with bandaids and the like. Also, ask your guides to point out which plants sting, haha! Jokes aside, I found this out the hard way while taking a wizz in the bushes. The stinging can last days to weeks and there’s not much you can do about it. All in all this trek was one of the most rewarding treks I have experienced! The only real negative is that I would have loved to do the full, 3/4 day trek. The damaged trails are currently under repair and are expected to be operational towards the end of 2019... so keep an ear to the ground (no pun intended) for news regarding this. Enjoy, stay safe, and take a bit of trash home with you :)

Tue Jul 17 2018