Gunung Gede Trail

Gunung Gede Trail is a 17.7 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near CIANJUR, Jawa Barat, Indonesia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

17.7 km
1,638 m

hot springs

This is Gunung (Mount) Gede and you reach the summit via the Gunung Putri Trail. There is camping at Alun Alun Surya Kencana and you can also complete a loop trail via the Cibodas Trail. This trail begins after summiting Gunung Gede.

man5ap

Nice trail, and very creepy when its night

if you are interested in mystical trail and you can get the permit, try mt Gede Rumpang Cliff trail. Get the experience stay one night at the edge area of the crater contiguous the climb trail to Kandang Badak. Via this trail you come to the volcano crater then you come to the trail to Mt Gede Summit if turn the left or if you go/climb straight you will come to Kandang Badak. In 1986 I had experience slept one night at that area (I got only one night stay permit from the Mt Gede Authority). Remember use good quality of ⛺ tent only. The view via Cibereum waterfall is better but the experience climb via Rumpang Cliff will give you unforgettable experience.

Good trails

Monday, July 10, 2017

Completed this hike during the monsoon season. The trail was wet and there was heavy rain. This didn't stop people from hiking or camping on the mountain. Once you arrive you will have to check in at the ranger station and pay for ticket. I didn't see a single ranger on the trail though nor did anyone ask to see my permit. I paid 45$ for mine, since I am a westerner and they charge us more. Once you set off on the trail there is a river that is on your right side and is warm due to the volcanic active. There is also a lot of wild animals including monkeys. There is a point in the trail where you cross a hot spring waterfall and it is incredibly slippery. They do have hand rails to assist you though but the water is pretty hot. When we arrived at the camp ground, it was completely full and over crowded. I took a break and then continued on to Gede. The trail gets pretty steep and will require ropes to help you scramble up. Upon reaching the top there was a group of small stores that sold food and water. It also gets pretty cold at the top due to the elevation. Also, not sure if the stores are there 24/7 or if they arrive based on the willingness of eager opportunist. Once I took my photo and ate I head back down. The total trip took me about 11 hours. This wasn't the best hike I have ever done. I think it was due to the rain and the fact that the trail wasn't taken care of. This include trash and how people treated the area, especially at the camp site.

Monday, August 03, 2015