Mount Batur is a 6.8 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bangli, Bali, Indonesia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Distance: 6.8 km Elevation Gain: 531 m Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

This is one of the most popular hikes near Ubud. It is located an hour north of the city. Most hikers start the hike at 2 AM so they can reach the top for sunrise. Visitors must use a guide service to hike this trail.

Very good hike, woke up at 1:30 am and drove to the mountain the hike is quite steep but my wife and I consider ourselves to be decently in shape and so though hard was not the worst we have done, but if you are not in shape and not up to hike then this will prove to be extremely challenging and hard. But don’t let it discourage you. The sunrise is gorgeous and even if you have clouds, like us, this is well worth the effort. A definite highlight of the trip!

It was great.

Did this hike in June. Usually don’t hire a guide for hikes.. but for this one we chose to after reading some reviews. I’m glad we did as twice we would have been stopped by locals who I believe would not let us continue without a guide. I’m sure you we were persistent you could get by them eventually. The first part of the hike is very easy. You will hit a fork in the trail. Left is the easy route, and also the route where you can then hire a motorbike to take you up. Right is the difficult route that you can trek up. We chose to go right, but were surprised with how many people chose to hire a motorbike for the rest of the way. The hike was steep but didn’t take very long. Good shoes are a must as there seems to be loose gravel on the trail and it is very easy to slide. Once at the top though it is very cold. I would recommend bring and jacket and wearing pants.

It was amazing I did it with my sisters in november 2018. We started the trekking at 3am snd 5am we were on the summit enjoying the beautiful sunrise

Amazing view and there was even a pack of monkeys running around that made for awesome pics. I went without guide and it was fine. The trail is paved fire road for 4/5 of the way up and the becomes grade 2 single track for the last .5 miles. FYI, mountain mafia is real, though not as bad as expected. I was hiking from 2:30am so maybe there weren’t many there yet, but I only encountered them once near the beginning of the actual trail right after the first temple. They were aggressive and pushed me, but I just shoved my way forward and walked away while they screamed terrorist at me and I wished them a good night :) come well prepared as the only bathrooms on the trail are disgusting and all food and drink at the top is hiked up 5x regular market price. Does get chilly at the top, but if you walk towards the true summit, you may get some small gusts of steam to cool you down.

Unbelievable. Best hike I may ever complete.

Crowded.

Difficult because of the guide who have to bring you faster as he can to take more people the same day. The last part in sand is hard but the sunrise and the view is so cool. Beautiful but guides are not good

youll go with a big group, so plenty of breaks and traffic jams on the mountain if youre worried youll get tired. its not an easy hike for an average person, but not too bad if youre used to hiking. the worst part is the path is slippery from the rocks and dirt. it will likely rain a few times during the hike to make it worse. but if youre careful and pay attention its wonderful. a lot of the articles about screaming leg muscles and exhaustion youll read online are way overly dramatic, theres far worse hikes. oh and theres tons of monkeys on top (fit level - 30 year old inactive desk job worker, some hiking experience)

If it were feasible, I would so this without a guide. Our guide did this hike twice a day and could do it in less than an hour and a half to the top. His expectations were that we would make it to the top that fast. This hike is difficult, the footing is soot like material and there are dirt bikes constantly passing up and down the trails which truly take away from the hiking experience. Their exhaust fumes made my lungs sting. I hike and have done these distances and elevations before but hiking is about enjoying the journey, taking in the stars. Every time I stopped to look up or catch my breath, he would offer to put me on a dirt bike, have me only go half wat or take my pack (which I carry all the time and am fine). I refused every time. I was to the point of tears because I felt bullied though the people I was with were equally grateful to stop. He was passionate to stay with us which from reading other reviews I'm glad he did. You had to get out of the way of dirt bikers and them stiring up the ground made it a harder trail than it wouldve been without them. The sky is stunning with the dark sky and stars. please stop and take it in. stop and look at the sky changing on your way up. it is worth it. The sunrise was stunning. We hung out longer than other hiking groups and the monkeys came out which was an amazing experience. The down for me was a breeze but for my friends who arent hikers, they were slower going down than up. The soot and loose dirt makes for hard footing if you arent used to hiking. I'm glad we did it, I just didnt appreciate the tour guide stuff. His daughter sold us a candy bar at the top and the rush up made sense since she had to rush down to get to school.

Over two years ago I hiked this trail at 1:30am to start our hike up, and I can tell you with each drop of sweat that I shed everything there, and was rejuvenated. Stay focused every moment with every step and you will be rewarded with the most amazing views and sunrise. I’m so thankful for this hike that truly opened my eyes and opened my heart again.

Definitely not moderate for the average tourist. Amazing, but the hardest hike I've ever done.

don’t eat the banana sandwich

I really enjoyed this trail. I went on a planned trip and this was included. Our guides were great and very helpful. I am not as fit as I used to be so for me it was quite hard and I struggled at some places, but I made it. The sunrise was definitely worh it! I would definitely recommend it!

Our guide took us a different route than the top. He brought us to a hut where we bought a few eggs from some friendly locals (and a candy bar if I remember correctly). We then went to the side of volcano where there was hot steam coming out of a hole. Our guide put the eggs in a bag and stuck it in the hole for a few minutes. Perfectly cooked eggs (delicious too)!!! The views were still awesome. Fun day.

Great sunrise hike, going down was super challenging because of magma soot. I wouldn’t however call this a moderate, more hard.

Done this on 2018Feb07. My first taste of serious hiking . One of the most difficult hike/mountain climb I’ve done. Beautiful sunrise. Good guides.

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Most of the guides are excellent and give you local background info. This hike is often crowded, but the views are beautiful. Recommended guides are Bali Trekking Exploration, Mt Batur Sunrise Trekking Company and Bali Tour Activities. They are all good groups with excellent guides. Tip: Be sure to tell your guide you want to include the natural hot springs after your trek. It is well worth it. Also bring a clean change of clothes, even if you don’t do the hot springs. A lot of whining in this thread about the locals requiring that you take a guide. Get over it. That’s Indonesia. This is their home and when you use a guide service, you help local families and the economy. If you make it to Bali, you can afford it.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Joe’s review in here. Worst experience in Indonesia. I refused to believe what I was hearing from others and reading, but I experienced it for myself. I absolutely refuse to fund the criminal activity occurring at Mt. Batur. There is no fee to enter the site nor is a guide required. A local “mafia” of sorts runs this entire small village. This is confirmed via a visit to the area itself and experiencing it. When you attempt to hike without a guide, you are physically bullied and harassed by locals. Ultimately, not able to pass as more and more goons come to assist with the multiple types of harassment. Including, but not limited to, being called a “terrorist”, being kicked, being shoved, being spat on. One even kicked my girlfriend - truly unreal. The best thing you can do for this is to NOT take ANY paid tour. You are directly promoting the criminal activity that is going on here and entitling these criminals to continue their scheme. The stories we heard from locals would astound you, these are not good people!! Visiting the town is beautiful enough, but for us, hiking to the top is just inaccessible because we refuse to contribute a single penny to the thugs running the village.