Mount Batur (Southern Route)

Mount Batur (Southern Route) is a 7.7 kilometer loop trail located near Banjar Jati, Bali, Indonesia that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking.

7.7 km
623 m

Located about an hour drive north of Ubud, Mount Batur is Bali's most active volcano, so check around to see if it safe to climb. There are many local guides who will take you to the top, usually starting around 4am to see the sunrise. You can also choose to go on your own, but expect to get harassed some by the pushy guides who feel entitled to force visitors pay them for their (mostly unnecessary) services.

Worst experience in Indonesia. I refused to believe what I was hearing from others and reading, but I experienced it for myself. I absolutely refuse to fund the criminal activity occurring at Mt. Batur. There is no fee to enter the site nor is a guide required. A local “mafia” of sorts runs this entire small village. This is confirmed via a visit to the area itself and experiencing it.
When you attempt to hike without a guide, you are physically bullied and harassed by locals. Ultimately, not able to pass as more and more goons come to assist with the multiple types of harassment. Including, but not limited to, being called a “terrorist”, being kicked, being shoved, being spat on. One even kicked my girlfriend - truly unreal.
The best thing you can do for this is to NOT take ANY paid tour. You are directly promoting the criminal activity that is going on here and entitling these criminals to continue their scheme. The stories we heard from locals would astound you, these are not good people!!
Visiting the town is beautiful enough, but for us, hiking to the top is just inaccessible because we refuse to contribute a single penny to the thugs running the village.

recorded