Mount Batur is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bangli, Bali, Indonesia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,742 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

This is one of the most popular hikes near Ubud. It is located an hour north of the city. Most hikers start the hike at 2 AM so they can reach the top for sunrise. Visitors must use a guide service to hike this trail.

Started at 3 am and got to the top before sunrise. A challenging hike unless you are a well seasoned hiker. There are loose rocks everywhere and can be scary. Go well prepared with plenty of water and layered clothing

Challenging but rewarding hike to the summit. Started around 3am and completed in under 2 hours for the sunrise. It was very cold while dark. Very crowded at the peak but worth it for the beautiful views. Walking down was slippery and the heat set in, bring plenty of water! Would recommend to all fitness levels, with plenty of stopping opportunities along the way.

Completed this hike after no training and being out of shape, and it was very challenging. The first is flat and steady incline, but once you get to the volcano, you can take the dirt bike path, which is easier. Or you can take the straight up path. We did this one. it’s a big incline all the way up. Towards the top is more incline plus volcanic sand. Beautiful views at the top. I would recommend to all. Don’t be discouraged. Our guide stayed with me, slow and steady and encouraged me the entire time. If you are not in shape, it will be hard, but it’s worth it.

Not a hard hike but definitely not easy. The views are outstanding but it's usually very crowded. If you looking for an adventure and outstanding views than this is for you.

fee

Don’t know if I agree with the “Hard” rating, path is fairly worn and straight forward, lots of loose rock and a bit of a steep incline at some points. Great intermediate hike with a beautiful and rewarding view from the top. Should take about an hour to an hour and a half for the average climber to summit, leaving tons of time to soak it in when you reach the top!

Definitely worth getting up super early. Must use a local guide. Crowded as expected but a spectacular experience. Trail is initially on the road then breaks off. Last 1/4 is tough in spots but not terribly difficult.

Great night hike and sunrise views from the top are impressive. The trail can get overcrowded and is only accessible with a local guide.

Steep so beautiful

Loved it. Took our 10month old and our 3year old the guide insisted that he carry our 3year old - he did an amazing job..! Bikes going up and down get a bit annoying, but it’s nice to know they are there.. they do kick up dust too! They did try watering the track down a bit but still quite dusty. We found the weather to be amazing.. it was 13° which is their average, we were told.. so we packed warm clothes for nothing

not too busy starting around 4:00 guides do a good job of managing traffic

Worth the effort, and absolutely worth doing for sunrise by headlamp

Don’t mind my recording. Totally messed up and forgot to hit end when the guide got us back to the starting point. There was 8 adults and 1 child and we knocked it out in 3hrs 45mins. 2hrs 15min going up and 1hr 30min going down. This sunrise hike is remarkable. So peaceful and relaxing after a hard hike up. Take your time but plan according so that you don’t miss sunrise. Anticipate a very very busy trail. Hundreds of people hiking

Very good hike, woke up at 1:30 am and drove to the mountain the hike is quite steep but my wife and I consider ourselves to be decently in shape and so though hard was not the worst we have done, but if you are not in shape and not up to hike then this will prove to be extremely challenging and hard. But don’t let it discourage you. The sunrise is gorgeous and even if you have clouds, like us, this is well worth the effort. A definite highlight of the trip!

It was great.

Did this hike in June. Usually don’t hire a guide for hikes.. but for this one we chose to after reading some reviews. I’m glad we did as twice we would have been stopped by locals who I believe would not let us continue without a guide. I’m sure you we were persistent you could get by them eventually. The first part of the hike is very easy. You will hit a fork in the trail. Left is the easy route, and also the route where you can then hire a motorbike to take you up. Right is the difficult route that you can trek up. We chose to go right, but were surprised with how many people chose to hire a motorbike for the rest of the way. The hike was steep but didn’t take very long. Good shoes are a must as there seems to be loose gravel on the trail and it is very easy to slide. Once at the top though it is very cold. I would recommend bring and jacket and wearing pants.

It was amazing I did it with my sisters in november 2018. We started the trekking at 3am snd 5am we were on the summit enjoying the beautiful sunrise

Amazing view and there was even a pack of monkeys running around that made for awesome pics. I went without guide and it was fine. The trail is paved fire road for 4/5 of the way up and the becomes grade 2 single track for the last .5 miles. FYI, mountain mafia is real, though not as bad as expected. I was hiking from 2:30am so maybe there weren’t many there yet, but I only encountered them once near the beginning of the actual trail right after the first temple. They were aggressive and pushed me, but I just shoved my way forward and walked away while they screamed terrorist at me and I wished them a good night :) come well prepared as the only bathrooms on the trail are disgusting and all food and drink at the top is hiked up 5x regular market price. Does get chilly at the top, but if you walk towards the true summit, you may get some small gusts of steam to cool you down.

Great views and easy enough for all fitness levels if you take your time and watch your footing. Busy.

Unbelievable. Best hike I may ever complete.

Mon May 27 2019