Mount Agung is a 14.6 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Karang Asem, Bali, Indonesia that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 14.6 km Elevation Gain: 1,989 m Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Mount Agung is Bali's highest point. Its common for people leave around 2:30am to see the sun rise from the top of the volcano.

Living in Bali I’ve been up at Agung a few times now, once per year, and loving it every time. Starts around 2am, up at the top around 6am for sunrise and some freshly brewed Kintamani coffee (local Bali beans) at some ~3000m, quite cold (maybe 5C) and views of all of Bali and surrounding islands with other volcanoes peaking through the clouds. Just stunning. Parts of up is climbed, I recommend gloves for those bits also for coming down at is can be slippery and using gloves if sliding or spider-walking down those parts can be helpful. Will do this again if Agung decides to calm down a bit. Been closed for hiking due to near eruption on and off.

I did this hike on 2017, we arrived by 10am to the bottom of the volcan, hired a local guide and took us about 7-8 hours to come back. (we are a couple in shape in early 30's) Most of the people do it at night to see the sunrise, but we did it during the day and we had the mountain for us alone! I recommend this hike only for intermediate-expirences hikers, you have to climb through rocks and cliffs. But the view at the too is really amazing and a lifetime experience!

Phenomenal views from the top at sunrise. I did this hike in November 2016. The hike is done in the middle of the night with a local guide, so you need headlamps and poles. It gets chilly at the top - recommend to bring layers and gloves.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Recently did this at Sunrise. Worth the early start with amazing views from the top. Terrain a little difficult at times. A few slips and trips by other walkers.

Friday, August 04, 2017

did this hike end of june 2016. worth it! must do if you are a hiker. it was definitely challenging, so unless I have my hikes messed up, I would rate it hard, no switchbacks, just straight up :) . We started early am, hiking in the rain and dark until we got above the clouds. The one bummer was that we made good time so we had to wait to do the summit for 30 mins, would have liked to have had another layer, bc we got very cold. we made it to see the sunrise at the summit! Guide is a must, I wish I could remember our guides name, I will try to find out and edit my post.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Arguably the greatest hike of my life. Not for the hike itself - because we did it in the dead of night and most of the way you're holding vines because of the grade. But we summited at sunrise and it was truly incredible - you can see the entire perimeter of Bali. You have to hire a guide to do this hike. Don't do Batur, it's a tourist walk, this is where it's at.