Laugavegur Trail

Laugavegur Trail is a 52.1 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Vík í Mýrdal, Suðurland, Iceland that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August.

52.1 km
1,702 m
Point to Point

hot springs

This is the most famous trail in Iceland. A 4-day trek across the Icelandic wilderness - polychrome mountains, lava fields, black sand deserts, geothermal springs, glaciers, lakes, icy river-crossings, grassy plains and forests. This walk really has it all - simply magnificent!

This was a great hike. I am not very a very experienced hiker and was still able to do this in 2 days with ~7.5 miles before lunch and ~7.5 after. Add a third day to get to Skogar. Recommend 3 nights camping (but packs could be much lighter if you do all huts!). First pre-hike night at Landmannalaugar. Second night at Hvanngil (had dinner in Alftavatn). Third night at Basar or Skagfiorosskaili.

Incredible hike with amazing views you won’t see anywhere else! The weather is tough and can make an otherwise pleasant walk a miserable trudge. We narrowly missed a snowstorm in late August that would have shut our trek down. It’s well worth the effort though, no matter the weather!

Amazing Trail. Also went all the way to Skógar. Definitely worth the extra couple days to see all the waterfalls at the end.

A trail you have to hike. Recommend to visit at the end of August.

My favorite multi-day trek to date. Geothermal activity, glaciers, volcanos, lava fields, waterfalls - it has everything. We stayed in the Huts and met great people. Felt fortunate with the weather - only light rain a few days. Could see how fog or snow could make the trail harder to follow, but otherwise was well trafficked and marked. Would highly recommend staying a night in landmannalauer and also continuing on either 1 or 2 days to Skógar - possibly the most beautiful part of the trip.

The highlight of our trip. Brennisteinsalda (a dormant volcano) featured a 1000m climb. We did a day trip and the hike was roughly 3.5 hrs. Amazing experience. Sun, snow, wind, rain - changes without warning in an instant, so be prepared. The climb through the lava field was like a scene from Lord Of The Rings. Unforgettable. You will never see colour palette like the rhyolite mountains. People were dumbfounded at my unretouched photos taken with my iPhone!

Loved this. I did Landmannalauger to Skogar. Please be advised there is wayyy more snow than anyone anticipated at Hraftinnusker (sp?) and over the pass to Skogar. So many people did not have proper gear and many parties paid 1,000 USD to get rescued. Also, to Skogar mapped with Gaia GPS it was approximately 50 miles with 9,500ft of elevation gain (we did small day hikes once we checked in and hiked 56 miles with 11,100 ft of gain), Way more than any site prepared us for. Views are insane and ever changing. Be prepared for 5 river crossings total (three being from Álftavatn to Thorsmork), bring sandals! The deepest river crossing was thigh deep. Check in is after 1230 at each hut so if you’re gonna haul ass just know they won’t let you check in because they are still cleaning.

Hraftinnusker - the hut has a warming area that is jammed pack, everyone tenting wished they made arrangements for a hut, you’ll be wet. (2,200 ft of gain in around 7 miles)

Álftavatn - it’s mainly a hike up and down through snow until you head down a ridge and see the rolling hills into the valley. My knees appreciated my poles as we lost about 2,500ft (still gained 750ft ~ 7 miles) p.s there is a new restaurant here!

Botnar/Emstrur- the day with three river crossings, third being the deepest right before you walk through a flat desert. Mostly through sand which blows. (1200ft gain ~ 10.2 miles)

Thorsmork- my favorite day. The terrain changed so much and was truly beautiful. We stayed at the Volcano huts. One river crossing which was knee deep. (1500ft gain ~ 10.4 miles)

Pass- this was rough, flat until a little past Basar and then it’s up up up! This day was also my favorite but the gain on the 4th day was a bitch. Back into the snow. (3,400ft gain ~ 9.2 miles)

Pass to Skogar- so many waterfalls! You’re out of snow almost immediately and it’s all downhill to Skogar. (350 ft gain, a lot of loss, and 8.2 miles)

Looking into this hike I was thrilled! I spent months planning and packing and preparing. The pictures I found and the reviews read all for good reason say amazing things. That being said I am now currently camped with a group of 5 at Álftavatn. This has easily been one of the harder hikes I have ever done. I’ve hiked 13k mountains and spent weeks at a time on trails. But this was a completely new experience. From day one going north to south the trail tricks you with the simplicity of an easy hike as you meander down the trail. Ignorance was my main problem for day one. We then climbed up more mountain ridges than I can count! Up and up and up until you are trekking through snow on top of the mountains. Generally I am not one to complain, but wow! This was like some alpine hiking. It was unreal the level of altitude we gained. Mind you the first day is around 12k. Nothing big. However when it’s 12k in pretty much entirely upwards direction, it tends to wear on you. The campsite that night was a winter wonderland, the campsites are obsidian glass that have been piled to help break the wind a little. That night my water bottle froze... the hut warden had previously been tanning when the sun was out. The second the sun was gone... bamb! So cold! From day 2 we then started the decent out of the snow. From all the up we did we must have done just as much down. The day itself was much easier and the site has a bar!!! Much needed. Can’t wait To see what the next days hold.

Magnifique trail! Paysages très différents d’une journée à l’autre. On se sent seul au monde dans l’immensité de ces montagnes. Nous sommes allés fin juin et il y avait encore de la neige! La Trail n’est pas toujours bien indiquée lorsqu’il y a de la neige, car les marqueurs sont enfouis sous la neige (Landmannalaugar seulement). Avec le brouillard, c’était un peu troublant de pas savoir où on s’en allait. À ce moment, je n’avais pas découvert cette application, mais je crois que j’aurais bien aimé! Quatre rivières sont à traverser donc des petites chaussures d’eau sont très utiles. Pour l’hébergement, je recommande les refuges pour un peu plus de confort ou des sacs de couchage chauds si vous dormez en tente. Des bottes de gortex sont aussi très utiles, puisque la pluie est fréquente! J’en garde un souvenir inoubliable!

This was a beautiful trail. I will say it was difficult, not so much for the terrain, but the weather. It is extremely volatile. The first day out it was sunny and gorgeous, and then the next day it was 30-40 mph winds coupled with rain and sleet. Tents poles were easily being broken and there is very little cover if any at the camp sites.

Such a great backpacking hike! Probably the best I’ve done, simply stunning and unique. It has its difficult sections and weather changes quickly, I would recommend being an experienced hiker/backpacker. Truly an amazing experience!

A classic. That's a great hike. I would strongly recommended going all the way to skogar. I did it north-bound also, which seemed better because that gave me time to do day hiking in landmannalagur after the bakcpacking.
I won't describe in detail the hike, but it is very doable to skip every other hut. I did skogar to landmannalagur in 48 hours. The trail is VERY easy to follow - it's good to have a GPS but you probably won't need it at all. Also, you should expect some river crossing. When I did it, the worse were about knee deep - so it's good to have extra shoes for that.

Just finished this trail, and it was full of gorgeous views. I was lucky enough to have very little rain

Best trail in the world.

Amazing hike. We went the first week in June when the trails are first open and there was still a ton of snow at the top of the peak. Just as a heads up, it does make a difference which way you go. If you start at Landmannalaugar, you do the steepest and snowiest trek the first day up to the first hut. After that it's more gradual downs and ups, and you descend into different beautiful terrains. Going the opposite way I'm sure is just as beautiful but prepared to end with snow.

Also be prepared to cross a lot of rivers - you will undoubtedly get wet in at least one of them.

Cheating a little bit . . . we did a full day hike during a day tour from Reykjavik. Other than climbing on a glacier, the best thing we did in Iceland. Beautiful, ever-changing landscapes with multi-colored hues. Absolutely stunning. THIS is why you came to Iceland!

challenging , breathtaking. Like hiking through a painting with changing landscape around every turn.

Great walk. We actually walked all the way to Skógar with an extra day-hike in the Þórsmörk valley. So, 7 days in total.
Truly amazing landscape but very crowded in summer (although a river crossing is easier because you'll see where others are crossing). Unfortunately no wildcamping allowed.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Very beautifull trail

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Amazing trail... only difficult in extreme weather which we encountered one day of the 4. I was initially worried about the weather as we were camping in a tent all three nights but I felt very confident in our REI Quarterdome tent with a few extra guy lines that I usually would not need in the Sierras. Anyone worried about tackling this tent camping the whole way without a guide shouldn't be. As long as you have the appropriate gear you will be fine. There is no such thing as cold, wet and miserable, it just means that you were under prepared.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

The most beautiful place

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Amazing run with my wife to celebrate our one year anniversary. Stayed at the Hvanngil hut half way. Ran with our excellent guide Birkir, which also turned out to be a brilliant chef!( www.arcticrunning.is )

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Probably the world's greatest trail.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

I did this trail when I went to Iceland last summer (2016) with my native friend and as well as being considerably difficult to reach the top of one of the mountains through rocky, snowy, and other kinds of terrain, it was also indescribably beautiful and would do it all 1000 times over.
I only regret that I didn't have the app at the time of my time here.

Friday, November 04, 2016

Scenery was unlike anything I've ever seen!

Monday, October 17, 2016

Amazing trail that can be really hard when the weather conditions are not ok. On this trail you can see everything that Iceland has to offer: volcano, hot springs, rivers with drinking water, glacier, waterfalls etc.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Iceland's most popular trail and trek. It features ever changing and stunning scenic views across volcanic terrain, tundra and over mountaintops. It starts in Landmannalaugar and end in the forests of Thorsmork. The trekking season is quite short and is heavily traveled, mostly north to south. There are huts along the way which can also be camped at with tents.