For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Fimmvörðuháls is a 16 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Rangárþing eystra, Southern, Iceland that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

Length 16.0 mi Elevation gain 4,235 ft Route type Point to Point

Rocky

No shade

Description
Waypoints (0)

Trekking poles are recommended.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (114)
Photos (347)
Recordings (88)
Completed (199)
Christian B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
HikingGreat!

Des cascades ... en cascade !

Carlo V.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 9, 2020

amazing! completed in early august 2016 in 6h 30' from skogar to porsmork...and come back to skogar with bus

Karlijn Breuking
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 16, 2020
Hiking

Very beautiful trail. Diversity of waterfalls, snow, vulcano landscape and forest. Long hike but definately worth it

Courtney White
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 21, 2019
Hiking

Unrivalled views, endless waterfalls walking along a canyon for several miles. Very little traffic as well! Such a beautiful hike

Tyler Price
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2019
Hiking

Completed 18 September by myself. Start at Skogafoss waterfall. Trail is clearly marked with blue painted stakes. No need to be experienced to complete this one. Spent a lot of time stopping for pictures and finished under 8 hours. trekking poles not necessary but could be handy depending on weather. it was raining the whole time for me. Dress in layers and bring water, snacks, and electrolytes and you will enjoy it.

Scott Phillips
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 9, 2019
Hiking

Great hike. I started at Skógafoss and worked my way up. The waterfalls leading up to the pass are incredible and look more like a fairytale than reality. Make sure to take time to stop and smell the roses (waterfalls). Trail is clearly marked so you should have no problem with that.

Sam Soehn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2019
HikingRocky

Such a beautiful hike. I recommend starting at Skogar because the descent into Thorsmork at the end is unreal. Definitely need a certain fitness level to tackle this in one day, but if weather is good, then no need to be an experienced hiker - the markers were clear the whole way when I went today (Sept 6). There are steep climbs and descents, so watch your step and take those at a pace you can handle safely. This hike was one of the best things I’ve ever done - put it on your bucket list if you enjoy hiking and like a challenge!

mikayla radecki
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2019
HikingMuddyRocky
Ryan Quinn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 30, 2019
HikingRocky

Did this in one day well from Skogar .... 25 k trail ran large portions it is an amazing trail run with 1300m elevation gain so not bad over that distance.... well marked trail lots of people arrest part is arranging buses.... the cat spine was a bit of a let down haha we did the wizard hat the day before and that was a real ridge walk lol..... but this is beautiful none the less..... the 10 k from Thorsmork basar is the most amazing views after that kinda boring but you get to end or start depending on your direction at Skogar and the bigs water falls..... Enjoy whichever way you go it’s a beauty

View Ryan's Recording
Dave Elias
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 28, 2019
HikingMuddyRocky
View Dave's Recording
Lindsey Bailey
Hiking

This hike was beyond amazing, and was the highlight of our trip to Iceland. My husband and I completed in about 7 hrs to catch a bus in Porsmork (at 6 pm). We parked at Seljalandsfoss and took a bus to Skógafoss, getting dropped off at 11 am. I would not recommend doing it this way.... we ran the last few miles as we were close to missing our bus. I also wanted to mention that this hike is ranked Advanced for a reason, as a lot of the info I read beforehand made the trail seem easy. While it may not have a ton of elevation change, there are definitely some technical parts.... using chains to descend a steep cliff with no margin for error, crossing icy glaciers (up and down hill), and navigating dried lava fields. While the trail is well marked, the weather can change from sunny to freezing rain and/or fog with no warning. There are options to complete this hike with a guide if you aren't an experienced hiker or if you are concerned about losing your way.

Eszter Takacs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 20, 2019
HikingRockyScramble

Went up to the bridge and back, a good 17km hike! I think it was way down the most beautiful hike I have ever done. I got lucky with weather but be prepared for gusts of wind and rain of course, even at this first part of the trail. It can get quite slippery so bring your poles if you have :)

View Eszter's Recording
Sock Rateez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2019
Hiking

Awesome landscapes and scenery, hard to beat

View Sock's Recording
Sarah R.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2019
Hiking

Superbe randonnée et vue magnifique!! Je recommande à tous!

Doekae Sleng
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2019
HikingNo shadeRockySnow

Amazing hike. You can distinguish three different sections of this hike, each with their own beauty. We didnt use any hiking sticks, but i would really recommend using them on this trail! A lot of steep, technical terrain (going down) in combination with loose gravel makes it that you slip very easily. 24,5 km on GPS took us 9 hours. Bring enough water (2 liter minimum). Bring wind and water resistant clothing with you. The weather in these mountains can turn in an instant.

Alex Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2019
HikingBlowdownSnow

Absolutely amazing views, terrain and scenery. The trek was not technically hard but was quite windy up top. Id recommend rain and wind gear. You’ll need a gps if not going with a guide. Book a night up top for something unique.

Lizard Queen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2019
Hiking

Best hike of my fucking life!!! No words.. more long than technical..only a couple tricky spots. Totally different worlds as you go through the different landscapes. Already want to do it again

View Lizard's Recording
Jacob Loos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2019
Hiking

Beautiful train and beautiful hike. Prepare for all weather's and understand that if you go all the way to thorsmork it is a long day

Christine Pratt Gorrill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2019
HikingNo shadeRockySnow

We had a beautiful day hiking this trail. We did it in one day, but the weather was amazing. Had we hit challenging conditions I would have broken it into a two day hike. We started at Skogar and hiked to the Volcano Huts. It was about 18 miles. My husband and I are in good condition for a 56 and 60 year old, but we were both tired by the end. It took us 10 1/2 hours. It started by hiking by many beautiful waterfalls, then wind rocky gradual climb, through a few snow fields, then a long steep beautiful trek into the Porsmork Valley. We stayed overnight and took the prearranged bus out in the morning and connected with another bus to get back to Skogar. We love to hike, so it was one of the highlights of our trip. Also the weather was sunny all day long!

Rusty Haake
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2019
Hiking

This was one of my favorite hikes of my life. We started at Skogar and went to the bridge (5.5 miles) and back. The hike is a steady climb the whole 5.5 miles, passing between 15 and 20 waterfalls. Passed several streams and water bottle filling opportunities. Super breathtaking. Beautiful hike. It rained a lot, on and off, and the rain created some unsafe conditions. We slipped a few times on the return trip. It's worth pointing out there are warm showers (for a fee) and a restaurant in skogar campsite. The campsite has an underwhelming kitchen, just a picnic bench under an awning. I intend to return and do the hike all the way to Thorsmork.

Marcel Scharth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2019
Hiking

I thought it may be useful to share that it's currently not possible to bus back to Skógar on the same day. No specialised company seems to do this transport either. The best options seem to be (i) take the 6pm bus to Seljalandfoss and hitchhike from there (ii) or get off in Hvolsvollur, spend the night there, and take the bus to Skógar in the morning, which gets you back there at 11am. I wish I knew this before because the combination of bad weather on one day and incorrectly assuming that it would be straightforward to go back to Skógar prevented me from actually doing the hike in my travel schedule!

Ben Trappey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 27, 2019
Hiking

Completed on 6/26/19. Here’s the thing, the first 5.5 miles to the bridge was the best hike we had ever done. An easy hike with over 20 beautiful waterfalls. The best part is we saw only one other person during this whole section. We expected the middle section to be kind of a slog, and it was. We walked into a cloud at the hut at mile 8.7 and unfortunately never got out of it. The visibility as we were going across the top of volcano was just a few hundred feet. We were expecting better visibility as we descended into Thorsmork but unfortunately, it didn’t work out that way. The last 4 miles (the most technically challenging part) was spent in mist/rain/mud. We kept getting the sense that what was around us was incredibly beautiful but could never really see any of it. Obviously, the weather wasn’t the hike’s fault, but I would definitely turn around at the bridge if I knew that the weather on the Thorsmork side wasn’t great. (For those wondering how to do this in a day: we parked in Skogafoss, walked to Basar (took us about 10 hours taking our time, taking lots of pictures, and going slow on the descent because of the rain/mud), hung out in Basar waiting for the 1815 Trex bus which dropped us at Seljalandsfoss at 1915, and had arranged for a taxi from Hella to pick us up there and drive us back to our car at Skogafoss.)