Svinafellsjokull

Svinafellsjokull is a 1.0 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hornafjörður, Austurland, Iceland that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

1 km
49 m

If you do not have glacial hiking experience but you love the idea of hiking a glacier, hire a guide and hike this glacier. I usually like hiking on my own accord but I don't have the means of effectively hiking a glacier on my own (equipment, know-how, etc.) This was some of the best money I ever spent. Hike a glacier, climb it, maybe even stumble upon an ice cave, but only with a specialist in tow. It's amazing.

To be precise, I'm assuming this trail (0.6 miles) is referring to observing the glacier without stepping foot on it. That is still an awesome experience; glaciers are insane to witness up close. Still, if at all possible, I recommend doing what you need to do (even if it means paying for a guide) to safely find yourself escorted onto the actual glacier itself. You won't regret it.

This was one of the best and closest views of a glacier we saw. You don't even have to hike the half mile to see a gorgeous view just over a small hill from the parking lot. Very pot holey road on the way there but SO worth it. I'd do the walk around the glacial lake. Really cool ice caves with falling chunks/dripping icebergs. Watch out for the edge by the water there's quicksand-like mud in some spots . My husbands hiking boot got submerged ! 