Svartifoss-Sel Loop

Svartifoss-Sel Loop is a 4.8 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Vík í Mýrdal, Suðurland, Iceland that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

4.8 km
179 m

historic site

A very easy loop. It might be worth to add sjonarnipa. If you have the legs, then the must do in the area is kristinartindar!

Error, wrong trail, this is for the fimm... trail, trying to fix ASAP

Here is a guide if weather unfortunately was not on the same schedule as your hike. My day started cloudy with a light drizzle starting at Stogafoss. (I recommend starting from this points as you will see all the waterfalls ahead of you as you trek up. Now my weather predicament only went from okay to bad to worse. Granted I was well prepared and being cold not wet was an issue, however at 8.6km once the trail splits into 2 ( red and blue). On bright sunny days I highly recommend the red, but you must have proper waterproof shoes for this hike! You will encounter much more snow in the earlier months and you will have to keep a close eye on the trail recorder as at some points in the snow the poles are completely buried after a heavy winter. Unfortunately in my case, I was completely lost and without direction in the middle of a storm; complete whiteout. If this is your weather for the trek, I HIGHLY recommend to stick to the blue trail as it marked much more adequately and a safer choice in harsher conditions.

If the weather works out, but you don’t have any to to catch the bus at the end part of he trail, I believe a loop up the red trail and down the blue trail would be a fantastic choice. 30km +- give or take, should take you less than 10hrs total; remember I did this in a storm and was horribly lost at some points. In great weather and proper equipment, you can finish this hike in 8-9 hours if you are fit.

Beautiful views going up. Easy hike and well marked trail.

Went here in mid march, and only saw 2 other people on the trail on the way to the Svartifoss. On the way back we passed about 40 people who had come in on a bus. If you can get there early and beat the buses, then you should have the place almost to yourself.

This trail is heavily trafficked to and at the beautiful Svartifoss waterfall, but only lightly trafficked to and at the intriguing Sel turf houses. Our kids enjoyed having two very different highlights in a single relatively short hike. You can chop off 0.2m by cutting back across a bridge over the river to close the loop earlier if you don't mind getting back on a heavily trafficked trail (we had the slightly longer trail to ourselves).

recorded Svartifoss-Sel Loop