Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail

hard 772 reviews

Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,597 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trailhead is in a gated community, Waialae Iki. There is a guard house where the guard will write down your license plate number and give you a parking pass. There are a limited number of passes. This trail starts out on paved road eventually turns into a dirt track.

this hike was tough but it was do-able! the views the whole time are awesome and trail is always wide enough, npt dangerous. i highly recommend it

This was about five miles round trip and took us 3 hours. I enjoyed the drop offs of the ridge. The views were spectacular! The first mile and a half is a steady and moderate incline, and then there are stairs for about the last mile. It was worth the effort for the payout--You can see views on both sides of Oahu, from Honolulu to Hawaii Kai to Kailua to Chinaman's hat. The trail would be much more difficult after rain. We went on a dry day and had no problem.

Fantastic trail! If you are looking for a little hiking challenge but on a path that is wide and well maintained...look no further. Some sections were a little muddy but they were in the flat sections. Showed up about 8am and got the #1/20 spots available for cars. Gate guard was super friendly. He took down my car’s license plate number and took a look at my drivers license. He will then give you your parking pass and a map that shows allowed parking areas. They are very strict on parking, only park in the designated areas. First part of the hike was very easy going. Second part is stairs...and stairs...and more stairs. The end of the trail is about 150m past the tower at the top. There is a nice bench where I sat and enjoyed the view while eating my lunch. On the way back down I ran into quite a few hikers making their way up to the top. Glad I got here to enjoy the hike and view all to myself.

great hike and workout. very challenging, and you end up at the KST, but not scary at all!

2 hrs back and forth. Awesome views at the very top

recorded Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail

I’m confused — there’re camping permits from this trail available from the state and two listed campsites, but I didn’t find any. I set up my tent first on top of the ridge, which, between the wind and God knows how far of a drop-off to the north, wasn’t fun. There’re occasional spots of bald, flat-ish earth and some vehicle turnouts nearer to the trailhead. Very pretty.

great hike, no scarey ridge cliffs. can get pretty windy. we did it 2 days after it rained and there were some muddy/slick sections but not bad. can see how spikes would help on the steps if they were wet. got there at 830am on a saturday in Feb and got parking #8/20. views from the top amazing. took us 4 hours round trip because we're slow pokes. impossible to get lost on this hike very clear trail.

FANTASTIC hike with amazing views. Muddy at first but it quickly opens up to a stair master hahaha. Not as hard as koko tram but still difficult. The view up at the top is stunning and worth the sweat. Found it fairly easy in my opinion. Cars are in a safe location since you need to go through a security gate so no need to worry about your car being broken into. Overall took about 3h total but could be done faster.

This was one of my favorites so far!! The views up were amazing the whole way! I swear every hike here is amazing but this one took my breath away as it’s just amazing to experience this kind of beauty! I love it! It was easy to find. Yees you get a parking pass but it’s not a big thing. And not hard to find at all. A good portion at the beginning is really wide and would be safe for kiddos, but when the stairs start it might be a bit much for them. I ran parts of the trail too as there were parts that were more flat and shaded. Once you get to the top... incredible! I did attempt the ridge but it was starting to sprinkle, was already pretty muddy and super windy so I figured I’d wait for better conditions to do that part. A big wind gust told me “not today” lol but still so amazing! Will do this again as it wasn’t busy at all. There were hikers but not packed like some trails. Definitely a must do!

As a local, best hike I’ve done on Oahu. Don’t miss it.

Amazing view of Kailua at the end. All the stairs , worth it!

Beautiful and safe when it hasn’t rained for a few days! No clouds blocking the amazing views at the top!

Parking is limited so I had to park outside the gate and walk a mile to the trailhead but it was worth it! Views are amazing and trail is easy to follow. I can definitely see how it would be harder/slippery when it has rained but conditions were great today.

Looking to do this hike any day from Jan 27-feb 2. I’d like to go with another hiking bud. Please DM me @evonneyyw on IG if interested ;)

shout out to the HTMC folks maintaining this trail today. some significant improvements to the stair case as well as vegetation management. it's also starting to dry out after the recent rains so it's an excellent time to make your way out and up.

Tough hike, mainly the stairs at the end, but well worth it for the views of the east and south shores.

Super muddy & slippery after two weeks of rain but great training hike, especially on the stairs to the Ko'olau Ridge section. Make sure your shoes have good traction as coming down the steep stairs with metal edges is a recipe for disaster if you're sliding everywhere.

It is difficult to imagine that there will be much of a hike as you drive up to the trailhead, LOL. Have your driver's license ready for the gate check. Today was very muddy, very slick and slippery, and difficult to negotiate the steep parts because of the slippery mud. Also the only views were lower down. At the top it was a white out! LOL! I was glad to have trekking poles. It rained off and on which made it cool and comfortable temperature wise. Definitely must go back on a clear day! Crazy cool to hike along a ridge like that!

Good hike. Not too technical. One rope climb due to washout, but easy to navigate. Rained hard yesterday so there were slick areas. No microspikes needed. Overall a fantastic hike. For a Hawaii summit hike, it was fairly easy and not too dangerous. Just be careful with footing. Stairs at the end definitely get the heart going. I waited at the top with a group as the clouds cleared. Be patient and you can get some great shots of 3 peaks and Kailua. Questions IG cory_lesmiz

This was a hard but great hike! The steps at the end almost killed me! But damn, it was fun. I would suggest going in the morning on a clear day, so you can see everything once you are at the top

I loved this trail! I went on a Monday early afternoon and there was hardly anyone there.. it was very dry so I didn’t have any issues with the mud but I can see how it would be difficult if it was raining a lot. I would recommend getting an Uber from the bus stop if you’re going that way. It’s a long way up from the main road. Highly recommend!

Breathtaking views and a breathless but well worth it experience.