Waimano Falls Trail

Waimano Falls Trail is a 4.5 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pearl City, Oahu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

4.5 km
235 m

partially paved

It’s a steep, enjoyably challenging track down and the bottom is such a treat! There’s a gorgeous waterfall that trickles down to another small waterfall that’s about a hot tub sized natural pool area and that trickles down to another fall with a deep pool with big ropes as well as multiple points on every side with areas (marked with a white patch of spray paint) where you can jump off. The climbs to the jumping points range from easy to medium to hard. Swim and jump at your own risk.

3 minutes ago

This was very challenging but so much fun....I highly recommend to anyone.

Great trail some areas a little crawl but amazing over all and only about 1.75 hour on way

Great hike. After reading these reviews I was concerned about getting up cardiac hill so I wore a pair of crampons that I've had for a couple of years and never used. They made a world of difference. I never slipped at all. Had no problem climbing up the muddy hill.

Did this with my 3 year old grandson. Up to the point where the trail steeply went down toward the falls, we turned around as it was a little too much for my grandson. Would definitely try this again when we could go all the way to the falls.

Rained the day before and before/during our hike. Waterfall was raging but very cold. Be prepared to get muddy and work your thighs on the hills. Need grippy water shoes to scramble over rocks to reach ropes for swinging into lower pool. Very fun and challenging hike with lots of rainbows!

Alright so I would give it a better review if it wasn’t for the fact the waterfall was allllll dried up. To be fair, we visited on a dry winter day in January, but I’ve still never seen a waterfall this dry lol. Easy hike on the way there, need to know where to put your feet or you’ll have an embarrassing (but probably not horrible) fall, on the way back it’s pretty steep and you’ll need a lot of stamina to get up the side of the steep mountain. I’m a fairly athletic body and I didn’t struggle TOO hard, but it did get my heart pumping for sure! In the end, worth the experience, but mildly underwhelming.

Went first time. Trails where dry and easy to find.
Definitely have to come back after rainy days to see epic waterfall.

very adventurous. nice and cool shaded trail.

Very easy going down. The way back up is slightly exhausting though. Make sure to go after a big rain, we went today and the waterfalls were all dried up. There was a small pool of water that some people were swimming in, but this hike is only worth it if the waterfall is flowing. The trail will be very muddy if the waterfall is flowing, if it’s dried dirt you probably picked the wrong day.

Hard, but worth every bit of sweat!

I would say this is tougher than the rating but only due to the fact I carried about 30+ extra pounds on my back (baby+carrier). The “waterfall” wasn’t anything really worth the trip today but the view overall is amazing. The hike was up and down challenging and was a good workout overall. I’m sure there’s more of a waterfall when there’s more rain but not on a day like today.

worth it! not anyone there with us when we got there. mostly up hill but super easy

I took my 10, 9, and 5-year olds on this hike and they managed better than I did! It has some great views during the first half, and then gets quite steep as you descend to the pools. Lots of folks were jumping off and doing pull-ups on the ropes that cross the water - it was fun to watch. It was very dry the day we hiked, which meant that the steep parts (hard-packed dirt) were extremely slick. We fell on our butts a few times, just due to skidding out. I will say I saw a few people hiking barefoot, or with Crocs - would not recommend that. It took us almost three hours RT, but that was with some snack breaks, and lots of time at the bottom of the trail to watch the jumpers. It was fairly busy on a Saturday, but not obnoxious -- and definitely not as crowded as Manoa falls. Don't be tricked by the first 0.8 miles -- really easy and fun. Then it gets quite steep... Definitely try it wth kiddos - they will like it a lot (if you continue tossing in the breaks for granola bars and fruit snacks!).

It says moderate but I say more like hard. Then again I was carrying my 37lb toddler in a backpack. Very very very steep!!!! Some areas seem to have thin walking paths but should be good. Definitely bring some water and snacks. At the fork go left, much shorter path to the pools

fun and dog friendly.

This hike is definitely worth it if you are in shape to do it. The first .8 miles of the hike are fine - probably deserve an easy rating. The last .6 kick your butt. Steep declines on the way to the falls. I did the hike when dry and it was still challenging. Bring good hiking shoes and a second pair for the water. Small sections of rock scrambling. Well marked trail and lots of trees to hold on to for stability.

Far fewer people here than at Manoa, but you still won't be alone. I probably saw 20-30 people total. There were about ten people at the falls when I was there.

Trailhead is in a Hawaii neighborhood. Park on the street.

*Before I begin, I lost a GoPro Hero Session 5 in the first waterfall portion in the pool, so if anyone does happen to find it, please contact me, it has some nice memories on it, thanks.* A very nice hike, isn't bad at all. However, it's a very dangerous hike if you go on a day after it just rain, it can get really muddy and slippery. So I recommend sunny days only. It has two waterfalls from the points I got to, both have a pool, but one is safe enough to jump from a cliff to the pool, whereas the other has a real nice view. A heads up, the way back could be tiring for some and a lot of going up, so prepare your legs for that.

great fun hike, I'd rate this one as moderate however as the distance was fairly short and only slightly tricky towards the end with steeper declines. can get muddy but the reward of the waterfall and the jump was great.

WOW! What a trail! None of these guys were lying, this trail is EXTREMELY MUDDY, but 200% worth it. Gorgeous views, and the falls/pool at the end are a great treat!! You can take a dip, swing off ropes, or jump off the cliff. The hike is physically demanding, but the mud is the primary reason I would rank this trail “hard.” We loved this trail and will recommend to everyone we know who visits Oahu.

The reviews about getting muddy are 100% correct, and it does get steep. Mud + steep = slippery. There was a light rain just before we arrived, and it started to pour when we were down at the falls just as we were finishing up our swimming and such making it especially muddy. It was all worth it though. The jumps and swings at the falls were a blast, and we ended up with a memorable hike. I never really felt unsafe since there were ample trees and rocks to hold on to. Not the easiest hike though. I would definitely recommend taking the recent rainfall, forecast, the tread of your shoes and your fitness level into account.

Should be an easy/intermediate trail.

Long... easy enough for the first 4 miles then got tougher. Last mile mildly overgrown so slows one down
Great view at the end

Beautiful trail, reasonably interesting and moderately challenging (any trail I can hike in my swimsuit is not hard...). Would give it 5 but it was somewhat crowded with teens playing music loud enough you couldn’t ignore it (bah I’m old and want to hear the nature)

It was my first ever hike. Two days ago. Still paying for it:) It was marked pretty well, and incredibly beautiful. Oh ya, and definitely don’t go after a rain. It gets pretty slippery and super muddy.

If you want a real life jungle book hike that ends with waterfalls, rope swings, and cliff jumping then this is a MUST DO. This was the most fun I have ever had on a hike! It was a decent workout getting to the waterfall area and it felt like a little party over there with people flipping off cliffs and swinging on the ropes. BRING SWIMMING SHORTS or BATHING SUITE!

The climb out can feel steep at times but just keep churning those legs as it is doable incline up the enormous tree roots.

Great hike with some breathtaking views and a rewarding swimming hole at the very end. Bring a walking stick and definitely do not attempt if it’s rained recently!

We went today and it rained last night, the trail was muddy and slippery. It was hard but worth it, bring a change of clothes.

Bring change of clothes or swimsuit with you.

This was one of our best hikes on Oahu this week, and we completed about 10. However, it does not have some of great views of some of the other hikes. We had a lot of fun and this hike was not as crowded as many of the hikes, We saw about 6 or 8 groups on the hike on the trail or at the pools, including Kenro and his family (see below). The first half of the out and back trail is very easy, however it is about 0.7-miles down to the waterfall pools. This does have some interesting steep sections with lost of roots. I would rank this trail as moderate, although it would probably be very slippery after a heavy rain. There are two main pools that you can swim in at the end
of the trail. Very cool and refreshing.

I took my 17 month old son in osprey. If I can do it you can to just took me little longer then normal.This is an awesome trail. No doubt that waterfall is great. The water was really cold but once you are in you get use to it. The way down is not hard but can be hard after a lot of rain the day before. Everything can be muddy/slippery. It is the way back up that is tough. My leg were done. But I had my son on my back