Waiakeakua Falls is a 3.9 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 km Elevation Gain: 292 m Route Type: Out & Back

One of the more secluded series waterfalls in Manoa Valley. Folllow GPS track for directions.

Great. we lost 2.3 times but it was great!

Fun trail with some cool spots along the way. When you get to the branch to go downhill, I recommend taking the short uphill branch to the Pu’u Pia lookout first. Worth it for the views and to cool off for a bit. Getting to the falls is fun but hard. This is a good point to decide whether you’re up for it! (about half way there, but it will take you 2x as long on the second half) For reference, our outdoorsy 7 yo made it, but snacks were necessary and he’ll sleep well afterward!.

initially a gentle walk, the trail really starts when you take a right turn down into the valley. muddy and rocky sections require good footwear. beautiful forest!

I think this trail should be rated hard lol. I'm an army officer and have hiked all over the world and this one was a doozy. The descent down to the stream after you leave pu'u pia trail is BRUTAL. Super slick mud, no ropes, and 60 degree incline. It's doable though. Also, there are no signs for the falls and the trails aren't marked. I got lost twice. you really need to plot the location on a good device or use the map on this app, which I did. There is some really creepy caves by the first big pool (Queen's bath) I suggest looking into. There's random pipes and concrete through out the hike in the middle of dense rainforest which just adds to the mystery. It was a fun hike I'll remember forever. The pools was the most refreshing swim I've ever had, no lie. I started my hike around 2 pm and had them all to myself. Bring extra water, you'll need it.

Started the hike from the Seven Bridges Trail, multiple ways to get to the beginning of that trailhead, initially got lost near the beginning and ended up hiking off the trail and found the original trail. From there the trail can get lost at river crossings or if you are not paying attention we’ll, keep looking up when you can. Once you go up the concrete stairs and there is a wall on your right side cross the stream to the right, and do not follow the trail up. You’ll eventually lead up to the Pu’u Pia trail. Follow that trail but be careful, the Manoa Tunnel Trail is clearly marked with bright pink ribbons, do not follow them, refer to this map and head left to continue to the falls. We almost made that mistake as well. Hike was pretty muddy, we did it in slippers so it was even harder. The falls were decently nice, the hike took us about 2 hours to complete including the times we got lost.

Thanks for the previous review, completed the trail via Seven Bridges Road of Manoa as that trail lists. The falls were good and heavy with water but the path and the mud didn't over shadow them. WARNING: There's a spot where you begin a good incline after the muddy swamp and then traverse the stream to a small set of stairs. After those stairs, they'll be a wall along the stream - GO RIGHT AFTER that WALL! If you go left you begin a serious climb with ropes which is the Manoa Middle Ridge, a hard hike.

We did a full loop from the Pu’u Pia Trail up the Waiakeakua falls and ridge, across the Moana Contour, down the Wa’ahila trial to the Kolowalu and back to our car at the entrance to the Pu’u Pia. It was a very challenging hike, especially the Waiakeakua Ridge, which is completely overgrown and unmaintaned. Additionally, a landslide has taken out a portion of the Kolowalu, so I wouldn’t plan this loop until that trail has been repaired. If you are not an experienced hiker, I do not recommend going beyond the falls. They are beautiful and worth the hike, but the ridge was tough and easy to get off trail. If you decide to tough it out, be prepared with food, water, and a positive attitude! The views are beautiful and the hike gets much more manageable once you reach the Monoa Contour. Once in a lifetime views once you reach the ridge line!

Last time I did this, one of the ropes snapped and this guy fell 15ft. Luckily it was into about 12-18in of water, but he took a bad tumble down some rocks. He was seriously shaken, looked like he broke his wrist, but he was stubborn and his partner wanted to get he out of there so after a few minutes of recovering they just left. Sobering reminder, don't trust ropes. On unmaintained trails, nobody is checking them and it doesn't take long for Hawaii's wet humid climate compromise the strength. You fall and get hurt it's on you, nobody is footing the bill for you. FYI find the trail via the Pu'u Pia intersect. Do not follow the map/GPS directions on this page, it will take you to a closed trail head

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Went to do this one but the gps takes me to the Kolowalu trail instead. How do I get to this one?

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Easy to pass the trail. Not well marked and many new offshoots for the water utilities and government property. Could not find the trail past the waterfall. Incredibly muddy, even during the dry season.

Sunday, July 08, 2018

Fun hike during the rain. The waterfalls were raging. Very muddy trails

Friday, June 01, 2018

Muddy. Would recommend. You’ll feel the jungle.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

followed the alltrail map but didnt see these pools of water and the waterfalls like shown on the pictures..there was a few small falls...be prepared to get really muddy and climb as theres only one way in/out ...take your time going down the first steep hill, thats when the mudfun begins, cross the stream and itll take you up another very steep climb, which to me was a little wary about because the possibility of loose rocks/boulders and trees snapping off as you climb up. i almost made it to the end of the trail but trying to hike up through muddy and slippery conditions with nothing to hang on to in certain spots made me give in and turn around...id pass this hike if you are here on vacation..not worth to do it again imo.

Sunday, April 08, 2018

Did this trail today via Seven Bridges Trail. Becareful this way we ended up getting lost for a good hour to an hour and a half. Super muddy because of the rain. Yellow bamboo, several stream crossings, climbing boulders. Only climbed the first falls. It wasn't too bad.

Sunday, March 11, 2018

This is more of a moderate hike. Its definitely not that hard.

Sunday, February 04, 2018

It’s rated hard but it’s really not that hard, for every rope section and waterfall, there is an alternate route up, just take some time to find it and you’ll be treated to an unreal hike in an area that is lush with native plants and thick green foliage.

Saturday, February 03, 2018

This definitely made the list for top favorite hikes. It’s starts off very steady and flat. Lots of mud puddles to avoid though. Once you cut through the right off the regular path is where it gets difficult. You have to trek downward and it’s pretty steep. There’s no ropes and it’s best you have both hands free of any water bottles, phones, etc. Slowly make your way down and grab hold of any thick roots or branches when you can as it is very muddy/slippery. After the ground levels you’ll hear a steam straight ahead but you should turn right and head upward. From that point just follow the trees that are marked with highlighter pick ribbon. You’ll pass a lot of swimmable little pools. The further you go the harder the path is to follow. Take your time to look up from your footing and locate the ribbons. Once you get to the end. There’ll be a few large boulders to climb over and you’ll see the last pool with a small trickling water fall. I rate this hike very difficult for beginners and moderate for seasoned hikers (only because the hike was so muddy. Otherwise, fairly easy). I took my time on this hike so it took me a little less than an hour each way. Bring water, snacks, bug spray, bathing suits (if you plan to get in the water), a towel, slippers to change into after the hike, and a plastic bag for those muddy shoes. “I nā mālama ‘oe i ka ‘āina, na ka ‘āina malama iā ‘oe” -If you take care of the land, the land will take care of you.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

This has become my favorite trail on this little island, it feels like you've time traveled into some remote jungle. I've done it three times with my older Aussie pup and he handles it just fine. I brought a friend and his collie along recently and she (the pup) struggled a little, but was able to make it through just fine. This trail is actually pretty easy once you climb down/back up. It's best after a rain so the water is clear, but of course the climb will be muddy. There's plenty of ropes but we don't use them, there's only a couple sections where I have to help guide my pup. What I love about this trail is the beautiful lush jungle and all of the fun swimming spots/mini waterfalls. Once you get to the end the trail keeps going up and eventually connects to all of the other trails in the Manoa/Makiki area. Definitely a hidden gem.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Steep climb down but well worth it! Beautiful hike overall. Very buggy but manageable if you keep moving.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Straight up jungle, muddy and mosquito-y hike, but relatively easy. The trail that splits off and goes down to the waterfall trail isn't clearly marked, it's just a steep path down. If you're unsure follow the AllTrails map. My gps watch claims it's about 3.2 miles from the trailhead. Took about 2 hours because of the mud and tree roots.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

A favorite hike of mine. Gets really muddy and buggy, so if you da kine who gets eaten, bring spray! Waterfall at the end can be difficult depending on rainfall, but even if you don't make it to the top it's worth it to experience a taste of Hawain jungle.

Thursday, January 19, 2017

This is a great hike , I wouldn't call it hard at all though . More on the easy side .

Thursday, November 03, 2016

good work out, short, nice view in the end!