Learn more

Upper Makua Cave [CLOSED / PRIVATE PROPERTY]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(156)
Waianae, Oahu, Hawaii

Upper Makua Cave [CLOSED / PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 0.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Waianae, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 0.6 miles Elevation Gain: 393 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

cave

closed

private property

This trail is on PRIVATE federal property and traverses through sacred Hawaiian lands. Please be respectful and do not attempt to hike this trail. Violators can be prosecuted.

private property

Loved this hike, especially the view! Fairly easy and short. Did it in the AM so not having the sun right above us was nice.

I love it but it makes me upset coz I don’t know if where’s the cave at, I wanna try to go up some more but I get scared..I’m not really satisfied...and I wanna go back just to see that cave

This one is worth the quick climb. I feel that some reviews explain the hike to be too difficult. It is not very difficult if you follow the all trails route and you don’t try to go up the crack. Haha. Coming down, take your time, the rock is loose. But totally doable. Older kiddos can do this with adults with them. Loved it.

Went May 22nd - The views are sunset are to die for! This one is marked a little high- I’d say it was an easy hike, you just need to take your time, as it’s very steep, but I think anyone could do it. There’s a lot of loose gravel, but my gf did it in sandals and a dress, so not too hard. Be sure to trust the AllTrails app for the trail head. We saw a few people “guess”, and they never made it to the top (but we did see them back in the parking lot). We had a great time on this one.

private property

Short but steep hike. Lots of loose rocks and overgrown grass. Watch out for wasps near the top and these plants with small thorns that can poke you. The view from the cave is worth all the hassle! Take your time coming down.

private property

I’ll always have love for this hike, but today it was super hot and dry so tons of loose gravel made for a slippery descent. There were also tons of centipedes (which I’ve never seen on this side of the island). I would probably not do this one again until it starts to rain again.

Trail was difficult to find at first. Once you get off the road, walk straight and follow the stones that kind of make a path. The view was great, but not much of a workout to get there.

closed
private property

Did this again a few weeks ago. Three stars for a gorgeous view and cool cave. First couple times I did it was a few years ago and now the trail was completely overgrown. Even unrecognizable before you reach the ridge. Ridge is very narrow even overgrown a bit but doable. I was a little scared but just took my time walking on the overgrowth and slightly bending grabbing on to it while hugging the mountain side. Thankfully it was 100 percent dry. Ridge was wider 3 years ago. So to think in the next years how will it change?? I’m not a fan of that ridge. Pretty much all incline and some steep parts, it’s a good workout. Plenty of loose rocks use caution. Wear covered clothing or keep getting scratched by these pokey ass plants all along the trail arms included. No one at all on the day I went with my 2 cousins. Don’t go if it’s raining which is rare but happens hence the overgrowth. Can cause big rocks/boulders falling. It’s a crumbly area under all the overgrowth. Stay on trail! DON’T bring your kids! Too dangerous for them and not worth it.

private property

Gets pretty steep. Just take your time. Recommend some decent hiking shoes. Hiking sandals are OK. Pretty cool cave.

private property

Love this trail! Done it before about 3 months, when I was in shape it felt like a nice workout uphill with a nice view at the end. Tried again last week during Covid and got a verbal warning for trespassing on federal property. Be mindful when attempting this hike