Ulupaina Trail

Ulupaina Trail is a 5.8 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kaneohe, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

Distance: 5.8 km Elevation Gain: 326 m Route Type: Loop

To be sure the trail is cleared, check with Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club (HTMC) hike schedule for this particular hike. Go up the ridge ( right fork) for better views of the surroundings. The left fork traverses through several muddied gulches and can be quite miserable. The 'picnic area' is actually where the HECO frame is. Along the way, you have sporadic views of the Koolau Range, Haiku Stairs and Kaneohe Bay.

To get to the trailhead. Follow the sidewalk through the pet cemetery, and walk along the hibiscus bushes in the grass (not on the road). The grass will deadend at the trailhead. When you reach the fork in the trail, choose right. This will be uphill for the beginning portion of the hike, but it is much easier to go up this portion, then down like we chose. There are several marked bee hives, so when you are walking look for large sections of pink ribbon near trees, as these are bee hives. This hike was great. We chose to go left at the beginning so it was kind of a scramble to go down at the end. The trail is clearly marked throughout, with pink and some orange ribbons. There are a few “ooo look” moments. We did not go to the picnic area, as we were short on time, but definitely enjoyed the workout we got from this hike.

Muddy and hard

It was a good hike to do once. The trail isn’t taken care of very well and the views aren’t that great. There were lots of bugs because the berries from the trees had all fallen and were rotting along the trail. My legs got cut up pretty bad due to all the foliage and branches on the trail.

I'm not sure what is up with this trail but I'm pretty sure there's no one managing it anymore. My hiking partner and I were really struggling to follow the trail through heavy brush for about 20 min and got attacked by mosquitos and fire ants shortly after entering the forest. if you are going to attempt this trail I would have maps pre downloaded and bring long pants and sleeves to avoid getting cut up and eaten alive. I AM kind of interested whether the trail actually opens up at some point though... but in general I assume it would take a very long time due to how overgrown it is. Be careful. Don't get lost.

No views! Don’t go!

Good workout. Lots of roots and kiawe along the trail. Decent views from the end.

Hunter has a spring trap with a slip knot attached on the hiking trail, be careful if you have dogs. Lots of pig activity especially on the lower section of the loop.

My husband, dog, and I really enjoyed this trail. Parked by the theater and walked through the pet cemetery (not along the road). We went counterclockwise, so the steep part was out of the way at the beginning. The views were good, and we were the only ones on the trail. The beehives were easily avoidable except for one, and we just patiently waited for them to do their thing. We enjoyed this one more than Aiea and Pupukea.

Great Trail. Trailhead is hard to find. There are ropes near the street. It was muddy but big fun and nice vieles. Thanks to the guys who have marked the trail so well!