Learn more

Pu'u Pia Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 721 feet Route Type: Out & Back

19 minutes ago

This was a nice quick hike. We did it at the end of the day so it was a bit difficult to see but the view of the city at night was beautiful. Great for the dogs too. It was a little muddy and I wouldn’t go if it had just rained.

Trail is easily found and follow. Trail is lined with tree roots. Lower half of the Trail was muddy & slick.

Morning hike. Intermittent light rain. Lots of roots on the way up to the Pu’u’pia Lookout but dry trail was an easy hike. I would not take a kid (under 7) on this hike based on the number of roots. On the way back it was wet and those get slippery. I chose to also take the seven bridges connector to the waiakeakua falls trail. The connector is pretty darn steep and I would not take my 60 YO parents on that. When it’s wet it gets pretty slippery / muddy. I used roots as hand holds a lot. The waiakeakua falls trail got pretty muddy in spots and very slippery. I decided not to climb the rope to the third falls. I am a mosquito magnet but I only got a bite or two! Overall a great hike!

Lots of roots, so I ended up spending most of my time looking at my feet. The trail is rather narrow towards the top and some of the plants there will try to scratch at your legs (just be aware). There are a few clearings towards the top that will give you panoramic views of the valley and you can peek at Waikiki off in the distance. The lower part of the trail is wide and covered in roots, which is helpful when it is muddy like it was when we went. There weren't too many bugs and it was not crowded at all. You'll have to park in the neighborhood on the side of the road and it might be a bit of an additional walk in. There was a kid with a lemonade stand at a house near the entrance when we got there, too!

Steep af. Lots of rocks and tree roots. More technical than I thought it would be. I took my dog. She loved it. Bring water for sure. And put something reflective on your kids and pups. Just in case there are pig hunters in the area. Very steep. A good little challenge, but not ideal for a conversation lol. It hadn’t rained in a few days so the mud wasn’t bad at all. But it would be rough right after a rain for sure. Very pretty rainforest and tons of photo ops along the way. Slippers ok if you’re gnarly.

Reply to Barry P. yes, the connector is very steep and often muddy. Much better not to go that way.

Trailhead was easy to locate. Parking is located within in the neighborhood. Trail is a basic in and out. Short and easy trail.

Great little hike, as others have said. If no rain for a few days, usually pretty dry and not too muddy. I have a question - anyone done the connector between Puu Pia and intersection of Seven Bridges and Waiakeakua Falls Trails? Connector looks steep and muddy, haven't ventured down it yet (or up). I'd like to start on Puu Pia loop to come back on Seven Bridges (I live in Manoa) but not sure about connector on map. Opinions/experiences welcome!

Nice short hike, a little steep but not unbearable!

Very nice hike! Beautiful nature hike with a nice view of Honolulu at the top (take the extra two minute walk after bench).

A little muddy today but nothing too bad. Beautiful day today!

Easy for the kids. Nice foliage thoughout. Decent views of Honolulu at peak.

Easy hike with some nice views throughout. Easy hike if you have kids as well. Shaded the entire time until you get towards the end you’ll hit brief spots of open that have good views. All Trails map is accurate until the end. Once you hit the clearing with the table looking thing, that’s about the end. Any further and it’s not worth walking and only about 1 more minute.

This was a short steep hike. It was also very, very muddy so make sure to wear appropriate shoes. It hadn’t rained all week when we went but it was still shin deep in mud. The view of the canopy is breathtaking, and if you’re short like me (5’4) you will probably have a hard time seeing the view of the city from the top since there’s a lot of trees in the way. Also make sure to apply bug spray if you’re prone to bug bites.

Intended to find Waiakeakua but missed a turn and ended up on this one. Still beautiful!

Three downed trees as of 4/19 that you’d have to stoop very low if babywearing. The view is amazing for such a short hike, but honestly not my favorite. Tons of roots. And this trail would be a pain if muddy, luckily it was dry today only muddy on some areas but avoidable going through the side. As of today I only saw a handful of people going up, started at 7:30ish, came back down and saw about 8-10 couples/families around 8:45am. Short and quick, but mostly all incline. Not too steep. Kept going past the bench but the trail gets sketchy and tons of branches. Recommend wearing pants as the branches and thorns would’ve cut up my legs.

Hasn't rained in a week and it's extremely muddy. Not super steep, nice rainforest cover the whole way

I hiked this trail in March 2020 (it was still open) and had a blast even though it was a rainy day. The trail does get extremely muddy and slick (my shoes were coated by the end). It can also be pretty steep with lots of roots to work around, and at the beginning a few fallen trees as well. If it has rained recently, definitely only attempt this hike with shoes that have lots of traction. I also highly recommend long pants, because the plants that encroach the trail for the last stretch are pointy and scratched my bare legs. However, the plants along the edges are beautiful (keep an eye out for wild orchids) and the top of the peak had a gorgeous view of the surrounding mountains and the Waikiki beach skyline.

Fun hike. A little muddy but not bad. Use a walking stick, you can find a bunch at the trailhead. Nice views and you can choose to off shoot to the mountains north where it really gets fun :)