Pu'u Ohia (Mount Tantalus)

Pu'u Ohia (Mount Tantalus) is a 1.4 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 km Elevation Gain: 107 m Route Type: Out & Back

59 minutes ago

Simple trail that took us as long to get there as the actual hike. There was bamboo along the trail. We heard a wild pig. It wasn’t awful but we wouldn’t recommend it or do it again.

Great hike! Very simple, a bit muddy, and mildly uphill (it is in Tantalus after all). The view is 5 stars and at the top of the hike there is a nice resting bench. Great reward for minimal effort. A great intro hike for any newbies. There is a parking lot across the street from the trail head, and there was only one other car when I showed up at 6pm.

I love coming back to this hike. It's simple, you get tons of beautiful flower smells, tons of bamboo and an amazing view of the water and city.

Loved the bamboo. First part of the hike didn't have much, but after a bit it's all bamboo. We turned around after the stairs because we didn't want to walk along the road. Didn't have much shade. Short hike, but fun.

muddy uphill start opening to a panorama of the coast. transitioning to a bamboo forest. in & out. one mile.

If you’re looking for a short, fairly easy hike and you want a awesome view then this is the trail for you! There are several trails that intersect inside so you have to be careful not to get lost. Beautiful view of Waikiki and diamond head. We did this with littles and they had no issues.

the drive itself to the trailhead was pretty. the trail has views along the way of diamond head, and goes through a bamboo forest which was cool. it was completely dry when we went 4/3/19. a beginner hiker and small dog made it up and back easily in an hour.

I ended up here on accident while doing the Manoa Cliffs. This trail is nice and well maintained. Easy for most skill levels. We ended up using Tantulas to Round Rock and caught some nice scenes.

Completed this leg when hiking the Manoa Cliffs hike. While it does follow the road a bit in one portion by the radar towers, it is interwoven along the road in the bamboo forest hills, which is really cool.

Took this trail out to the cell towers, though we must’ve taken a different path because it felt like more than a mile. It was super muddy, I wore slippas thinking it would be easy but ended up taking off my shoes altogether so this was my first barefoot hike! There was lots of wild ginger along the path, which was super awesome. Took my dog & she was fine

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Great beginners hike! Can be a bit muddy

Monday, March 26, 2018

Short quick climb. Not much of a view at the top.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

This is a nice, relatively short hike that is very doable for kids. I went with my 3 and 6 years olds, and there were only a few spots where I felt the need to hold their hands. About half way up, it turns into a gorgeous bamboo forest! The wind is usually strong, so the sounds can be a little intimidating, especially for younger kids. But they’ll get used to it quickly. The last leg starts once you climb a steep portion with steps that leads to a paved service road. Follow it straight up the hill, then curve to the left after the two transmission buildings with graffiti. It’s a bit of a winding path up for less than 5 minutes, and there is a cool little stone section you can sit or stand on to get a gorgeous view of the surrounding peaks! It has a very isolated and natural feel to it!

Friday, February 02, 2018

Love this little hike! Easy but secluded and peaceful.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Nice tropical rainforest with many exotic plants

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Nice and easy small trail. The bamboo forest is beautiful and calm. There's a couple little trails that branch off from the main one, but I'm not sure where they go. The trail leads to a service road with some radio towers. We were told on our hike by another group that there are now cameras on the towers, as well as a padlocked sheet of metal to prevent people from climbing up (as well as no trespassing signs) so I would avoid them altogether. The view from the top is pretty, although a lot of the invasive bamboo is blocking potential view. A group was there to remove some of it, so hopefully in time the view will be reclaimed!

Friday, August 25, 2017

I give this a soft 4 stars only because I am a fiend for bamboo, so that area of the trail helped. It was a bit muddy today and actually this hike was to break in a pair of goretex shoes. Easy hike with the nice views of Honolulu and Diamond Head in some spots. Only drawbacks I can think of are the towers at the top and a few unmarked trails that branch onto the Pu'u Ohia.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Great short beginner's hike. But does anybody know about the side trail that branches off, loops around the top of Tantalus, & then reconnects at the end of Telephone Rd? It's clearly a maintained trail (it even has an unregistered geocache), but we don't see it on any map or in any guidebook. See uploaded photo w/side trail in green.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Trail can be muddy, but the view is totally worth it. I went on a windy day, and the sound of the bamboo rubbing and knocking in the wind was very powerful. Great short trail to see amazing views.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

It was an easy trail, wth great views..until we heard the warning bark of a wild boar! Be careful on this trail!

Monday, April 03, 2017

Need bug spray.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great nature walk! Lots of cool plants and super peaceful. Ran out of time so didn't finish this one. But it's a good one for a trail run.