Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Pu'u Manamana Turnover Trail

Pu'u Manamana Turnover Trail is a 6.0 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hauula, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

6 km
654 m

beach

One of the more difficult and treacherous hikes on the island of Oahu. The hike takes you up to the rock formation known as Crouching Lion and then rides a ridgeline up and down. Very good challenge for the sure-footed hiker. The trail head is passed the fishpond, heading back towards Kaneohe direction, near a telephone pole that is marked with a fluorescent marker. There is a rope at the trail head to aid your start. Amazing views of the Kahana Ahupuaa (land division). This is not an easy hike. Balance is crucial. Skip this one if you are afraid of heights and be careful if it is gusty. Note that this trail does not attempt Pu'u Manamana at all. It goes to a turnover point in which most will stop and traverse down and out to complete the loop. True Manamana lies ahead and is only for the extreme hiker. A variant of this trail is to approach it from Kahekili instead.

ZC

Started off incredible. It’s a gorgeous view for the first third of the hike. If you go on a dry day, you can scramble along the ridge line for a while. There’s a couple of tricky spots, but nothing insurmountable and the scenery is unbeatable in every direction. However, the majority of the trail is overgrown with brush that will scratch the hell out of you and make it difficult to keep your footing. Some of the forested parts are pretty muddy too. Once it starts getting trees on the ridge, it’s better to just turn around. The view wont get better than what you’ve seen. If you do push on, wear long pants and sleeves and maybe bring a machete for the really bad parts.

Amazing view from the top Great history of the area

No it's not 1 Hour of good views for 4 hours of pain walking through all of the over grown brush

I'll be in Oahu until Sunday the 24th and I'm flexible. Looking for people to do this and other trails Email: marco.polo01254@gmail.com

closed

woww are we talking about a hike? my worst hike and yet there was ... on the menu: - climbing (I helped myself with my hands 80% of the time) - dizziness - mud - and above abundant vegetation that scratches the legs !! very nice point of view but big risk even for a hiker warned! a little under 3h but 4/5 bowls

Scariest hike I’ve ever done. Would not recommend to anyone with a fear of heights/edges/falling. Trail is very narrow at points with sheer drop offs on either side. Climbing was required in some parts, mud was slippery and there were not solid holds. Some ropes in spots, prefer not to use them but they were necessary. It quickly became evident that dying was a real possibility on his hike. Do not attempt without serious consideration and an honest assessment of your own skill level. However, views are amazing, wildlife was unique. Saw many red tailed tropic birds at the top!

Very very dangerous, but with amazing views. I probably wouldn't do this hike again because I was scared to death for the majority of it - there was really no room for error on this one.

Beautiful yet dangerous as hell hike.

Did a portion of this trail in 2 different spots, near K-hwy and in conjunction with/above crouching lion (CL). Certainly see the weight in the prior reviews as well as the news story, some dangerous spots to trek if committed. After only completing small sections, recommend only the CL portion for the experienced hiker.

HFD to resume rescue efforts for pair of lost hikers on Windward Oahu trail http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38899705/hfd-to-resume-rescue-efforts-for-pair-of-lost-hikers-on-windward-oahu-trail

Like so many pointed out in their reviews it is critical to understand that it can be deceiving looking at the entire loop, 3.7 miles, as not a biggy but the reality is that it its not really a trail. 3/4 of the loop is overgrown, muddy, you will have to constantly watch your step. Its and ankle and knee twister all the way. That's why most people recommend to do the crouching lion section and then turn around again. The ridge part is beautiful, fun and super rewarding, the rest of the loop will provided you with very little views and lots of pain. So, we did the entire loop in about 7 hours, 5 of which are a pretty painful experience. And on top of it we ran out of water. So here is a punch list if you feel like doing the entire loop: 1 Shoes with solid traction 2 Long pants 3 Long sleeve shirt ( you will for 2 hours move brush out of your face) 4 Gloves - a lot of brush is between 4-6 feet high that you have to move with your hands, when coming down the last part of the loop you will have to move on all fours sometimes. 5 2 quarts of water and electrolites per person. 6 Hold on to your hat, string it to the backpack. It gets really brisky in the ridge and you dont want to loose your footing for grabbing after your hat. Good luck.

One of my favorite hikes on Oahu. If you haven’t done it yet, be smarter and take advice from everyone here by not doing the whole loop. It’s just not worth it because you spend more than 2 hours in bushes with mud till your ankles and some places even till your knee, scratch all your legs and the worst part, that you don’t see any view since the bushes is so high up. Just start as a crouching lion hike. Hike as far as you can see a nice view and since you feel it it’s getting too challenging and view is gone, turn back and come down the same way. Overall, spectacular views.

Going up and pass crouching lion is awesome. Excellent views and challenging but fun. After about 1500 elevation, it’s overgrown and is just not worth it. You’re just pissed the entire time and can’t even see the path, hence you slip and what not. Getting all the way to the peak is a great view and not overgrown, but you’re still thinking about the annoyance of going back down...in the brush. In conclusion, go up to 1500ish, come back down. Took me and buddy 4.5 hours.

One of the hardest hikes on Oahu, took me about 4 and a half hours alone. If you do the entire thing it is very overgrown and very muddy. Extremely dangerous and steep, one wrong steep and you won’t be coming back up. There’s a reason why there are crosses along the trail. Pants and hiking shoes is a must. Don’t go if you are not an experienced biker. Amazing hike and great workout

Hiked on Saturday, 26 May 2018 as a group of three. Took us about 6.5 hours round trip with a snack break in the middle. Beautiful views, definitely do on a dry day (even then it will still be muddy in the middle). If possible, wear long pants and long sleeve top to not get cuts. Long haired hikers should consider wearing a hat since branches will get tangled in your hair. We hiked clockwise, but counterclockwise would be possible as well. Easy, free parking by the trailhead. Would definitely recommend, but the middle part is very overgrown and requires some determination. You will get incredibly muddy, so wear shoes that you are fine getting very dirty.

Alright, heres the deal. This hike is not for anyone. It is by far the most dangerous and exhausting hike I have ever done. The vast majority of people just hike to Crouching Lion. But if you plan on doing the actual Pu'u Manamana loop, expect to be actively hiking for at least 5 to 6 hours. There have been several deaths on this hike and it is clear why. Especially on a windy day, wind gusts could easily throw you off the edge. With that being said, this hike will definitely be something I remember for a long time, and I don't regret it. If you follow the All Trails map, you will walk along the road until there is a tiny opening (doesn't even look like a trailhead). We followed the map, and this beginning section is completely washed out. We basically we're climbing up this dirt hill trying to climb under branches for about 15 minutes before the trees clear up and there's where we found the trail. Just make sure to have GPS on. From there the hike is still a great workout, and when you get to Crouching Lion the views are stunning. This is probably where you will encounter other hikers. The only way to know if they did the entire Pu'u Manamana loop is to see if they're covered foot to toe in mud. Lol. AFTER crouching lion, you must be very careful about the wind. The wind wasn't strong when we went, but we still hiked while crouching down low. As you can see, it gets very very dangerous here. With an easily fatal drop next to you, there's portions of rock climbing and class 4 scrambling. There are some ropes at some places that seemed to be sturdy. But we took our time to find the safest route and spotted each other in case of a fall. Very, dangerous. Needless to say the views on this hike are amazing and we saw some great wildlife (a chameleon and a giant walking stick!) the noises of birds on the jungle are surreal. You really are out in the Hawaiian jungles. After the sketchy bit, you follow the ridgeline all the way around the mountains. You can look out and see the ridge you will be on. The hike goes up the ridge, down the ridge, and up and down, cont. It is tiring and exhausting. The middle section of the hike is EXTREMELY overgrown and EXTREMELY muddy. Wearing long sleeves and long pants will give you much more comfortable. I have scars up and down my legs and some on my arms from this hike. The trail was so overgrown we could not see each other 5 feet in front of us. You're essentially diving into the foliage hoping bugs aren't crawling all over your hair and body. It's moist and humid, but quite fun. Because not only is it unbelievably overgrown, but it is the muddiest trail I've ever been on. It quickly came to the point where we stopped trying to avoid the mud and embraced the sloshy sloppy ankle-deep (sometimes higher) mud mess. After you reach the Pu'u Manamana point hours later, views have changed but are beautiful again... the mud gets worse and you start going steep downhill. It was impossible to not slip in the mud so we took full advantage of the opportunity, and mud slid down several sections. Be careful because I ended up with a serious nasty bruise from a tree root. Don't recommend sliding, but we didn't have much of a choice! After all the mud, you get back on the dangerous Ridgeline all the way to the end of the hike. As if we hadn't been work out already, this part felt EXTRA long because our legs were so tired they were shaking and that made it even more dangerous. Although the descent appeared to be safer, it was more dangerous. The drop-off is overgrown so it appears to be safe. There are several stretches of skinny ridgeline easily less than a foot wide with drop offs on both sides. We dangerously used trees as balance support and crawled at some sections that were so sketchy. If you keep on going, you will eventually make it to the end. You have to walk a little ways along the road to get back to the parking lot though. This hike is crazy, dangerous, torturous but so rewarding. I would only recommend this hike if you are up for a serious challenge and a good mud bath. We we're covered in layers of mud and nice scars from Pu'u Manamana but will never forget it. Also please note that I did this hike in mid April and the rainstorms in late April may have washed out the trail even more so. Check out this [poorly put together] video I made of some of our trip. https://youtu.be/9Rsgi1vY67A

Friday, April 20, 2018

Accidentally did the whole trail when we meant to just do the Crouching Lion portion. We missed the turnaround point because it is not well marked! Much harder than we anticipated, we went in April of last year and it was extremely muddy, which made hard to get hand and foot holds at time since it was so slippery. Very steep along the Ridgeline. Just when you think you're finally descending, you start climbing back up again. It's so overgrown that I had cuts all over my legs. Definitely wear pants, take plenty of water and a GPS.

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Do this hike clockwise and enter at the crouching lion trailhead!!! Due to the less than moderate traffic, the original trailhead is overgrown and washed out. Besides, the trail intersects with the much better maintained Crouching Lion trail anyways. I would also recommend doing this as an out and back...once you reach the final peak. The back half of this trail has been washed out and needs a great deal of maintenance. Otherwise, this was a fantastic trail with some great climbing sections. 5 stars as an out and back.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

This was actually my first hike on Hawaii! Was a bit scary at first but after I was used to the steep ridges it was all good!! really enjoyed this hike with amazing views. The muddy part is a bit annoying but part of the job!

Monday, January 22, 2018

Amazing views! Definitely easy to get off course. Meant to only do the crouching Lion Hike, but managed to find ourselves on this harder, longer journey... We entered through the entrance by the concrete bench and mistook the trail for heading left up the mountain... the fallen tree in front of the real crouching Lion Hike is what threw us off in my opinion. Hard to use all trails with muddy hands, do yourself a favor and go when it’s drier, the mud made the way down extremely challenging!

Saturday, December 23, 2017

I did this trail from the back on December 21, 2017 without food or water and in shorts from 1:30p to 7:30p, the last hour or so in the dark. It was tough. My legs and hands are flayed. The middle half is very rough without protective gear. The better you're covered, the better off you'll be. Wear boots. A good portion of the trail is like trudging through peanut butter. Unless you, too, are a masochist, I'd recommend going from the front (crouching lion side) and deciding whether you're prepared for the brush when you hit it. The turnover is a sharp hook in thick brush. It's easy to miss.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Me and my husband hiked this trail on 22.10.17. It was no wind and shiny. Meaning bring 3l water per person. We use to hike longer trails, but this is jungle. 1/3 beautiful views with sharp ridges. 2/3 getting throught dense MUDDY jungle. Trail progress is very slow and exhausting. We give 5 stars, because we had enought water, snacks, and excitement. Do not recommend in windy and rainy weather. Enjoy :)

Monday, October 23, 2017

Harder than you expect. The first mile is pretty fun if you’re adventurous. Then it’s heavy shrubbage and jungle. Not too fun to get through. Most of all, don’t treat this like a 3.7mi hike. I’m currently laying down on the trail 8hrs in. I puked. My wife puked. We underestimated the trail and didn’t bring enough water so I hiked down, got more water, and hiked it back up. I’m about .3mi from the end now. I may be biased because I feel like death and underestimated this trail, but I give it three stars for an oahu hike. Oahu has epic hikes so rating it’s hikes is like rating a castle. They are all Grand and awesome and epic. This one just kicks your ass too and personally I only enjoyed the first mile, unless you’re in the mood for a jungly tough hike. The first mile was almost my favorite on oahu though, so check it out and turn back at the foresty part. Maybe a 5 rating on mainland. Three on oahu standards.

Monday, October 16, 2017

Though we didn’t finish this hike, we loved it! Passed crouching lion where most people stop and headed up to the ridge line. So pretty and very windy yesterday. Theres climbing involved and it gets very steep. We got rained on a bit and about 20 people we coming down on the way up. You need all day to do the loop. Bring water and snacks! Be prepared for wind, rain, and mud. And don’t forget your gopro! We had to pick up our daughter and ran out of time, but can’t wait to try it again!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Don't let the modest 3.7 miles and 2100ft elevation gain deceive you. This is a very challenging trail. For reference, I hike both Olomana (to 3rd peak and back) and Ka'au Crater in about 4:15. This hike took me and two friends 7hrs. To be fair, if conditions were a little better, I think I could have done it in 5:30-6hr. Still. The ascent beyond the crouching lion hike super fun, yet dizzying and treacherous at times. It's no wonder lives have been lost here. Don't get in over your head. Once you really get up there, you may not wanna go back. The infamous barbed Uluhe fern grows to shoulder length and higher, they nearly shredded my shins raw. The foliage was so thick on each side that it was difficult to see the ground (whether it's mud, rock, slippery roots, or no ground at all!) much less squeeze thru. Recommendations: trailrunners, tho I wore my hiking sandals which worked great for my tough feet, the muddiness was the hard part for me. Minimum 3L water, and some energy packed snacks. Map/GPS/AllTrails duh. It's a pretty straight forward trail, BUT, if you were to go left instead of right you might end up on Kahekili ridge which I've heard is way gnarly. The junction for the turnover trail was very faint. I only barely recognized it and probably would have gone passed if I had not stopped to check the track. PROTECTIVE CLOTHING: there are some (like me) who won't listen. For you stubborn kindred spirits, have fun with that lol. It's a trade off, be hot, or get your arms and legs scraped up to hell by the uluhe. There's no avoided it up there, and it goes on a while! Overall a great challenge that I look forward to doing again sometime once I forget how much I suffered in some parts. But note to self: bring the runners for the way down. IG @niiimz_

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

There's three parts to this trail when doing the full loop making it a tough hike to judge, let me explain. Ascending on the east side of the trail ( connecting to Crouching Lion- a very nice pitstop on the way) easily gets an 11/10- breathtaking views, tough obstacles and a few thrills for those whom seek it. Then there's the second part, it's all overgrown, muddy and full of trips. If your smarter than me and read the comments like I'm making now.. wear long pants, long sleeves, and bring plenty of water- also pay attention to your map when near the turn to home stretch as another trail branches off at the peak. During my hike I would have said it's completely useless to even do the full loop, until I came to the decent (west side). For those of you that like a little thrill and speed you can Tarzan style down hundreds of feet in minutes, if your not up for that, it's real easy to take it easy-seeing as the worst part is already behind you by now. The best sights by far are on the ascension with a few good ones throughout the rest. Definitely recommend, take care and watch your footing!!!!!

Thursday, July 20, 2017

It's a gorgeous hike with amazing views! If you do the long hike and loop trail, bring water, snacks, wear long pants and gloves helped a lot too! It's a super workout too! I'd start early in the morning to do this one. It rained on us and so be prepared because it started off sunny. I'd bring extra dry socks too if I had known. I think this is my favorite hike so far! It's not easy so make sure you're ready to get sweaty and dirty.