Pu'u Konahuanui Peak Trail

hard 180 reviews

Pu'u Konahuanui Peak Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until June.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,526 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Twin peaked Pu'u Konahuanui is the tallest mountain in the Ko'olau range and offers views of the Nu'uanu Valley/Windward Side. A very long strenuous hike that requires starting on different hiking trails to connect to the summit, this is only recommended for experienced hikers. Often a very muddy hike.

It was an amazing hike! I started it was raining. Thought bad idea, but was lucky. It got really bad when i got to K2 good that i didnt turn around, sky cleated up, views were incredible. Muddy sure, but soooo much fun. I couldnt stop smiling. Beautiful vegetation. Huge trees, bamboo forest, pines. So thankful for this day. If you on Oahu got to come here. Will come back for sure!

Hey anyone up for this one on Saturday feb 8, 2020? My instagram is @oaaks1 Send me a message

This trail is an amazing Oahu adventure. I was extremely lucky with bluebird skies the whole time. Views were outstanding! The section between K1 and K2 is wild, muddy and exhilarating! One of my favorite hikes on the island.

Markus and I (two swiss climbers) decided to go to K2 to try a take-off with our paragliders from the summit. Unfortunately, although the weather was better than expected (no cloud at 8:30 am), we had to renounce to start because there was no wind at all. We decided to reach the K1 summit throughout a very muddy path. Uncredible view from the summit on all around the island. From that point, you can see Moloka’i Island, Lanai Island and even Big Island if the sky is clear enough! As the wind was not blowing, we decided to walk down the PALI NOTCHES TRAIL, which is indicated as a trail all along the north ridge to Pali highway. BUT, THIS IS NOT A TRAIL! Watch out, the ridge is particularly thin at many places and you will face huge cliffs where you will need to climb down. There are some old fixed ropes but many are broken, and the others have a terrible shape. Bring your own material with you if you really want to make you scared. And for sure, you really need to be a very experienced hiker with strong skills in climbing. But definitely we don’t recommend climbing up or down this ridge! No interest from our point of view! 2h30 to reach K2 - 30 min more to reach K1 - and more than 4h to climb down the Pali Notches ridge (« trail » on the map) as we did not get our climbing material with us. Take care!

We started off at the Manoa Falls, then ventured uphill to the next trail. When we got to the next sign that said Pauoa Flatts Trail we turned right and kept on going until the sign that said end of trail. That is when we saw a little break in the grass on the right and decided we would venture off on that trail. We didn’t read up on the trails so we weren’t sure if it went all the way through or not, so after we got past two ropes and a strap, and were on the straight away where you had to go straight up, we ended up turning around and going back down. I’m not sure if we made it to K2 or K1 or not. But I feel like we got very far. If we knew it went through we probably would’ve kept on going. It was an amazing hike though!

This was one of the best (and most intense) hikes I have ever experienced. The first three miles or so are incredibly beautiful, and well shaded. Upon reaching the first lookout, the hike then tripled in intensity. Highly recommended for experienced hikers; I would not recommend this hike for anyone that is not in peak physical shape, anyone that is afraid of heights or children. Bring more water and snacks than you think you will need, and be very, very careful on your way down.

Super sick hike! We loved how different it was from start to finish! Kept expecting each peak (based on distance left to go) to be the final summit - but were surprised to find ourselves continuing up. Didn't attempt K1 (were not expecting the summit to K2 to take so long and stopped for lots of pics) - but K2's top was fabulous! Clear day and AMAZING near-360 view of the island. Don't know why more people don't do this hike. would absolutely recommend!

This hike is incredible but I have to go back and do it again. We were about a half mile or so from K2 and the clouds started rolling in. Not the kind of trail you want to get stuck on in the rain. In fact there was an area where the a little chunk of the trail was coming apart and we had to jump over it. Hopefully no one gets hurt there especially trail runners. The views were epic on the way up for most of the way until we decided to turn around at a level area. Lots of ridge line hiking which I love. Didn't think it was that scary. Can't wait to go back to get to both K2 & K1!!

It is immensely satisfying to say I got to finish this one today. Quite the trail. Be careful. This is not for a first time hiker. You will get VERY muddy.

Did it today, definitely you get an amazing workout out of it. Pay attention to your steps because it gets narrow and today was super muddy. Didn’t get the view at the top because of the weather.

Tough one. Very narrow at times and muddy near the top. Turned back because started to rain. Great work out. Forgot to start the trail recording so this just the way back.

Funny hike to do on a rainy day. Started from Manoa Falls (4h out&back from the bus stop on Manoa Rd to the K2 with a stop at the Nuuanu falls). The climb back from the Nuuanu falls was quite challenging. Some parts with no ropes were really slippery and it took me a while to climb down from the K2. Overall it was challenging since it was raining (plus no view at the end) but it was still worth it.