Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Pu'u Konahuanui Peak Trail

Pu'u Konahuanui Peak Trail is a 7.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until June.

Twin peaked Pu'u Konahuanui is the tallest mountain in the Ko'olau range and offers views of the Nu'uanu Valley/Windward Side. A very long strenuous hike that requires starting on different hiking trails to connect to the summit, this is only recommended for experienced hikers. Often a very muddy hike.

Tough one. Very narrow at times and muddy near the top. Turned back because started to rain. Great work out. Forgot to start the trail recording so this just the way back.

Funny hike to do on a rainy day. Started from Manoa Falls (4h out&back from the bus stop on Manoa Rd to the K2 with a stop at the Nuuanu falls). The climb back from the Nuuanu falls was quite challenging. Some parts with no ropes were really slippery and it took me a while to climb down from the K2. Overall it was challenging since it was raining (plus no view at the end) but it was still worth it.

A fun hike up. Unfortunately the summit was clouded in. The path was pretty muddy and it made the way down from K2 messy and challenging.

The trail to the summit can be accessed via a number of trails in the Na Ala Hele system https://hawaiitrails.hawaii.gov/trails/#/ I started on Round Top Drive where there is good parking. There are 2 trailheads there. N 21 19.546 W 157 48.787 I took Manoa Cliff Trail connected with Pauoa Flats Trail and took it to the end which is a cliff. The Konahuanui trail heads up to the right from there. I did not reach the top as the peak was in the clouds and the wind and rain were an issue when the trail rounded to face windward. There are 2 "tracks" on the All Trails map, and indeed I found a trail that went around the mountain (often pretty sidehill vertical and muddy) AND another going steeply up to meet and follow the ridge line in more usual Hawaii trail fashion. The fork is at N 21 20.700 W 157 48.2923 and is perhaps 1.25 miles from the peak per All Trails. The beginning of the hike is forest, rain forest, and bamboo in the valley. After 2 miles you are in the brush and trees on mountain. My trek was 6.2 miles including the backtracking to explore both forks. I'll stay right for the ridge peak trail next time and I'm sure I'll comeback muddy and happy again. Spikes and long pants were very helpful for me, but I crossed paths with a barefooted hiker up on the side slope.

Took 2 hours to reach the summit of K2 today. another 30 min to cross the saddle and reach K1. The saddle was very technical and muddy but totally worth the view. This hike would be really rough if raining or wet. Spent an hour on summit and another 3 hours to get back down. More like 9 miles total if going all the way to K1. Awesome views all around one of my top hikes on island.

If you like walking in the forest this is for you. I loved it but it was little confusing not sure what k2 means. We got to the summit where there was a bench and the sign said do not go further. Trusting AllTrails more than the local sign we went to the right side hoping that was the trail the app was showing. After walking for about 15 minutes among the trees no trail whatsoever so we decided to go back. It was raining and very windy so we were not particularly adventurous but clear trail signs would be so awesome.

Another great hike in Oahu. I wouldn't recommend it after rain because some sections of the trail are very narrow and may get dangerous when slippery. Other than that well worth it hike with nice views.

Long!! But worth it. I saw some people with their dog up at the very peak, but I don’t know if most dogs could do this one. The view from the top is very different from most KST ridge trails because you can see all down the spine of the mountain and all the ridges branching off of it. really something else.

Great look out after bamboo section looking down on valley. Dry and very windy morning with rain midday. Cut hike short after seeing grade and slippery ridge line

Dear hiking friends. I am planing to do this hike including K1 and K2 tomorrow. if you would like to join me hit me up on insta made86made. :) see ya!

A real kick to the crotch but the views are amazing. We camped at the summit one New Years, hoping to catch the fireworks on both sides of the island but got clouded in at the last minute.

The bench at the top of the Nu'uanu Lookout is in memory of our son Daniel Levey who fell July 21, 2003 at age 19. Daniel loved nature and hiking. The bench is to provide rest for hikers, a fabulous view, and ta reminder to always hike safely. Enjoy.

hey hiking ohau fans. I am looking for people who would like to join me on that. I will be in Ohau from the 8th until 21th of November. Hit me up on Insta @made86made. Would be amazing to meet some nice people and enjoy the hike - Marc

The first section of the hike, the actual Kalawahine Trail, is pretty great. It's muddy (but not terribly muddy), mostly flat, and filled with tons of awesome tropical trees and foliage. Very forest-like if you are into nature walks like that. I took it to Pauoa Flats Trail, where it got really muddy and kind of hard to walk through. My hiking shoes were absolutely caked in mud. I made it to the Nuuanu Lookout portion and attempted K2, but I was getting tired and a little sketched out by the steep cliffs, but if I went again with someone, I will definitely finish K2. Overall, if you're into trees and plants and don't mind getting muddy, then this hike is for you.

good connector trail (to other trails)

Beautiful ending to a great hike. Recommend not going right after it rains.

k1 and k2 are the twin peaks of Konahuanui, the highest point on the Koolau range.

Made it almost all the way to the K2 summit on 7/4 but it was pretty cloudy and a few of us didn’t feel comfortable making the last climb of the hike. The whole thing was really pretty but definitely some slippery spots - the trail did give way on one of the really narrow parts and I took a tumble about five feet down the side of the mountain but was able to dig my fingers in and stop myself. If you’re going to hike in Hawaii, don’t wear tennis shoes. Everything is muddy. I immediately ordered real hiking shoes and have been fine ever since.

Parking: Park along the western side of Tantalus Drive near the Kalawahine trailhead. Hike: From the Kalawahine trailhead, hike 1.2 miles (ignore the two Manoa Cliff Trail forks to the right) until you reach Pauoa Flatts. Take a left and follow along the boardwalk through the forest (ignore the Nu’uanu Trail that forks to the left) until you reach a fork. Take the left fork and continue uphill to Nu’uanu lookout. From the lookout, there are two trails. Take the one to the right to continue to K2. A short distance along this section the trail forks. The right fork leads to the peak trail; the left fork continues around the west side of the mountain as a cliff trail. I highly recommend the left fork as the peak trail is overgrown and far more physically demanding. There are some stunning views along the cliff trail: Nu’uanu Lookout, Kapalama Ridge, the Pali Pass, Upper Manoa Valley and far across the Ko’olaus when the skies are clear. You also get an upper-deck view of Lulumahu Falls and a gorgeous two-stage waterfall (which appears to be accessible via a side trail) near the headwaters of Nu’uanu Stream. The top 20% is always sloppy muddy. Near the peak, there are tons of convenient mud ‘stairs’ and deep trail ditches to keep you safe from falls. The view is often socked in by cloud cover, but K2 is a rewarding hike nonetheless. Duration: This hike should take between 4.5-5 hours. Difficulty: I would put this hike on the lower side of Hard (probably more accurately Upper-Upper Moderate by Oahu standards). The drops as you hug the mountainside are a little intimidating, but not too bad. The climb to the peak is pretty physical, and the span between some ‘stairs’ seems to favor those with longer legs. Ratings: Payoff: 7.5/10 Intensity: 9/10 Risk: 7.5/10 Wayfinding: 8/10

Sunday, February 18, 2018

good hike with a few different environment to enjoy. cloudy at the top, so can't speak to the view. relatively ~1.5 hour side jaunt over to moanalua falls from trail

Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Took this trail to K2 summit, about 9 Miles out and back. The weather was great yesterday 12/4. However, with the rain from the days prior, some areas of the trail past 2 Miles were very very soft. The trail isn’t too overgrown and I was still able to find the trail all the way up. Wore a tank top, regular trail shoes and board shorts. The dry ferns will get at your shins and legs but not too bad. Bring 3L of water, snacks and a selfie stick. The views up top are amazing. Luckily, there wasn’t much clouds. Would definitely do this one again and cross over to K1, but I didn’t have enough time.

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Stay on the main route. The loop bypass is very over grown making for much slower travel

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Hiked this via the Kalawahine trail. Logged at 6hrs, though since I was solo I really took my time. Took a few time lapses, and had a few snacks. Also, got rained on a bit so the trail was very wet and muddy, it was challenging coming down in my hiking sandals. If I was trying, I'd probably do it in 4:30-5. The overgrowth beyond Kalawahine and Pauoa flats gets pretty gnarly at times, and that uluhe will tear your legs uppp. Do pants if you wanna avoid that. If it's been raining there's definitely slip risk. Tho as of 9/2017 there are plenty of ropes and straps toward the end to help in the climb. The summit sorta snuck up on me, but that'll happen when you're in the clouds. Fun ascent, fun hike! I'd do it again for sure. Best for experienced Hawaii hikers. @niiimz_

Thursday, August 17, 2017

It was a crazy hike going up from the Pali notches way. do it again? probably not! Go in from another way, yes. the view from up top is spectacular. I've taken lots of photos to share.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

No clouds today at the summit! The views at both K1 and K2 are just amazing. The ridge between K2 and K1 was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. While VERY muddy, especially early on the ridge after leaving K2, for almost the entire time on the KST between K2 and K1, you are not overly exposed and are in the vegetation that offers some protection. Took it slow and made it to K1.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Love this hike. Really muddy and steep for the last mile or so. Socked in the clouds today but at least was not raining. Very very muddy at the top. Stopped at K2, will come back at a later time if I see there is a chance of no clouds at the summit

Monday, July 10, 2017