Pu'u Konahuanui Peak Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(223)
Round Top Forest Reserve

Pu'u Konahuanui Peak Trail is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until June.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,526 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Twin peaked Pu'u Konahuanui is the tallest mountain in the Ko'olau range and offers views of the Nu'uanu Valley/Windward Side. A very long strenuous hike that requires starting on different hiking trails to connect to the summit, this is only recommended for experienced hikers. Often a very muddy hike.

Favorite hike so far on the island. Try to bring about 2-3 liters of water

One of the coolest hikes on the island! Very cool on a clear day. I would recommend you follow my recording, we turned right at the junction on the way up K2, which is a steeper ascent but has killer views along the journey! All trails has you go left at the junction instead. This hike is a tough climb but very worth it! A great way to knock out three hikes in one since it starts on Kalawahine, then to Pauoa Flats and then to K2 and K1. The hike between K2 and K1 was the toughest part and was very muddy and overgrown. There were bees on top of K1 as a warning. Saw a handful of other groups on the hike. Wear sunscreen!! I got a tourist-level sunburn on this one. Took us 5.5 hours total with about a half hour picnic at the top.

Awesome hike! Not too difficult until after you get onto the ridge. It was very muddy, though, which made the section before the summit difficult so the ropes were helpful. Overall, great views even with the fog. My watch measured it at 9 miles RT, so just be prepared for longer mileage than said.

Great trail for intermediate hikers looking to push themselves. Awesome views and not overly exhausting by any means.

Great trail! No rain for about a week or so prior to the hike. Trail was dry the whole way up to K2. From K2 to K1 there was minor mud. Have to say this hike may be the best bang for your effort. If starting on the kalawahine trail you can make it top top of K2 in 2.5-3 hours. Depending how often you stop for photos. Great views from pauoa flats bench all the way to the top. View is hit or miss at the summit depending on clouds. Considering that this trail is easier and less dicey than tripler or moanalua saddle, I think this is a must do for anyone who is intermediate to advanced. If you can do Mt. Olympus or Manana ridge, you can definitely do this.

Good hike, I started at Tauntalus. AllTrails app is good for figuring out which routes to take. After the first look out with the bench, you'll come to a fork in the road. I took the route to the right but apparently it's a lot more steep of a climb and you'll be walking along the top of the ridge. The route in the AllTrails app follows the route on the left. I was climbing on the top of the ridge for a bit but it was extremely windy and the summit of K2 was completely covered in clouds so I turned back. Will definitely try to come back again to summit on a sunny day, but I've read that those are very rare.

I accessed K2 from Tauntalus. The Tauntalus area is great and provides good cover and amazing trees all around. you will go thru a bamboo forest. once you reach the bench which overlooks Pali you will see K1 and K2 in the distance. keep going! K2 at the top is worth it!

Great hike! Didn’t get to go all the way because it started raining. Really easy hike to the first view point. Barely any incline. Definitely going back on a sunny day!

Really great trail, up in two hours 30 min, down in two hours. The whole trail is very well maintained with an over all fairly minimal climbing aspect in respect to the trail as a whole. Summit was gorgeous as always. I’d definitely say one of the hardest parts was going from K2 to K1, nothing extremely dangerous, just a bit slick with some steep scrambling, rope in all the right places though to help with this. I’d give it a solid 5 stars, one of my favorite hikes to date

Go back on a clear day, you’ll be able to see from Honolulu to Kaneohe. 5 hours up to the 2nd peak and back, gassed out. Long stretches of annoyingly narrow path, tightrope walking. Pants

What an awesome hike! It rained off & on the last few days so we expected it to be muddy but it didn't damper out spirits! A very small amount of narrow ledges have been compromised so you gotta be careful. 2 or 3 freshly fallen trees, too. Roped areas have new ropes so that was terrific to see. Shoe spiked highly recommended. The clarity today was super but when we got to the summit we were clouded in. ..lol. We're doing K2 again this Summer and will throw in K1 since we'll be in the neighborhood :)

Awesome trail that's physically challenging but doable for avid hikers. Some sections are very narrow and close to drop offs for pretty decent lengths, and the trail seemed to be susceptible to caving from heavy rain. As always be careful, wouldn't recommend for inexperienced hikers. When I went it down poured for half of the hike and the trail turned into a stream, microspikes saved the day. Enjoy!

definitely not for kids past the look out. Boot spikes save lives. I'm so glad we purchased them. expect to get dirty and be challenged. I love it.