Olomana Trail is a 7.1 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.1 km Elevation Gain: 530 m Route Type: Out & Back

Please note: There is no parking area at the trailhead - the map shown here will direct you to street parking and you can walk to the trailhead from there. Users have reported that there are towing operations in the area. It is not clear where the legal parking is, so park at your own risk. Located in Kailua, on the windward side of Oahu, Olomana Trail (three peaks) is a strenuous hike with amazing views if you can make it to the top. The trail can be accessed from the intersection of Maunawili Road and Auloa Road off of Pali Highway. The first peak, Mount Olomana, is about 1.5 miles up with steep drop-offs on both sides and takes about an hour and a half to get to. Toward the top there are some rock climbing elements. The top of the first peak offers 360 degree views. It is steep on the downhill slope towards the second peak. The next peak isn't as challenging but still has an excellent view. The last peak should only be tried by experienced hikers in good shape and requires ropes all the way up. To return to your car you must go back the same way you can. This a favorite hike in Oahu, however can be very challenging with all of the up/down.

Highly recommend and very rewarding. We saw wild pigs on the hike. Once at the top marvellous views. I would definitely try do all three peaks if you are in good shape and not afraid of heights! We caught a Uber there and back from Kailua which is a five minute drive.

Yes, we got a parking infraction ticket for parking on the asphalt sidewalk ( seriously its a sidewalk? since when Hawaii has sidewalks?) Just make sure your wheels dont touch the sidewalk, if you can see it. Another alternative is to park at a park just further down. But theres a big sign that says Parking for Park Users only...

WARNING!!! Our car was towed, along with multiple others in the same area. There is a small sign posted on a street sign warning of this, but it is meant to be missed so they can tow you (and collect their $230 from you). It is not clear where the legal parking is, so park at your own risk. Our Uber driver told us there is a park nearby where you can park your car, so plan on quite a walk just to the trail head. Up until the point that I saw my car was missing, we had an amazing hike. We only went to the first peak, but even that is not meant for those with a fear of heights or those who aren’t in pretty decent shape. There are ropes in the very steep areas but proceed with caution. The view at the first peak is worth the trouble. But not quite worth the $300 it cost me to recover my vehicle.

Magnificent hike. It starts muddy, but rises into alpine forest, then rocky scrambles. The climb to the first peak is sufficient to wear most people out - I took a break before the true summit. Even if you stop at the first peak, it’s a great hike. I did go on and do peaks 2 and 3 - getting to peak 2, I thought, was a breeze: a few scrambles, but nothing really crazy, and there are ropes (though I personally don’t care for them). The descent to the saddle between peaks 2 and 3 starts with a pretty precipitous drop down a steep scramble, but it’s got ropes. Good climb though. I hiked peak 3 alone, but passed six other people attempting it too. Exhilarating, hot, muggy, Hawaii.

Amazing views that are well worth the work. We only hiked the first two peaks. I think fatigue and rain could make this hike more risky than it already is. For us it was a dry day and we turned around when we were getting too tired. Know what you’re capable of and bring a lot of water. Give the ropes a good tug before using them but most looked replaced by other hikers recently. We ubered into the golf course area but the guard was a little difficult. Took us about 4 hours for two peaks and stopping at the top of both to enjoy the views.

A warning if you plan on parking just outside the golf club entrance - don’t park on the asphalt sidewalk. A bunch of us coped parking fines today, unaware the asphalt was a sidewalk.

This is my favorite hike on Oahu! It's challenging with lots of rock climbing and walking along steep ridges but the views are amazing! The first two peaks are the best for pictures because you can see the third peak in the distance. If you struggled to get to the first and second peak, do not attempt the third peak. It only gets harder from there. The rock climbing is more dangerous and the ridges get narrower between the second and third peak. If you thought getting to the second peak was fun and want more of a challenge, keep going! However keep in mind you won't really get a great picture from the third peak, just the satisfaction of knowing you made it there! The entire hike is breathtaking and so much fun! Definitely a good workout but it can get hot! Took about 5 hours round trip to reach all 3 peaks.

This a top five favorite. It will challenge your cardio as well as fear of heights? You got this! Just be aware the guard at the golf course entrance is a ball of sunshine- avoid any contact. You have to start hiking in from there. It is a 1/2 mile hike on the road to the trailhead. It will be easy to spot on the left. The trail starts out muddy then gets more manageable after about 1/2 mile in. It is straight up to the first peak. Then it is a scramble to the second and third peaks. The ropes are there for a reason. Don't be over confident, but it is easier than it looks from the first to the third peak. Take plenty of water and a change of clothes for the ride home. You will be a sweaty mess. Be safe and enjoy the views

For those with some intermediate experience with rock climbing, this hike provides perspectives of Kailua, Kaneohe Bay and the Ko’olaus you won’t find on any other hike. However, be aware that there are some serious fall risks present for those intending to complete the entire in-and-our trail. People have lost their lives while intending to enjoy this this trail. The walk to the trailhead (from Auloa Road past the guard shack) and up the first peak makes up over half of the hike. Many ‘casual’ hikers are going to bail out once they see the climb(s) up to the first peak (and this is by far the easiest one to summit). From this point on, the trail is more rock climbing than hiking. There are some pretty challenging sections on the back side of the second peak and some steep drops on the third peak.

Looking for a guide / local to take a group of 8 guys on this trail and / or Stairway to Heaven / Haiku Stairs. Happy to pay. Add me on Instagram: charlie_kookjong

This trail hit different, I don’t mind saying. Wow. Gorgeous but maybe you die if you’re not careful. The first peak was fine. A few times you needed those ropes, no big deal. The second peak, you start wondering if you should have written that will before you left. I’m glad to report you’re pretty much like “ah f*ck it” by the last peak. I had to quit halfway up peak three because I had to survive to go to work the next morning but I recommend this whole thing so hard. Start early and get ready for it to rain. Bring plenty of water. And sunscreen. And your last words, just incase. (I’m kidding guys. It’s alright if you’re careful :P)

Hi Hikers, I’m a regular on this trail, thrilling!!! Doin it again on FR June 27. Always looking for like minded friends to join me. Text or email if you want to pair up johndamico64@gmail.com or text at 7026044307. Mahalo

This was one of my favorite trails I have done on Oahu so far. Went with a group of three, we’re all ex gymnasts and current climbers and we got to the third peak and back in four hours. The first peak was honestly the hardest, taking an hour to reach the top. The vegetation was thick so there was no breeze on the entire ascent, it was HOT. After the first peak the trail got really fun. A lot of rock climbing but the rocks are all defined enough that we didn’t need to use the ropes, except when descending the second peak. It took us 30 minutes to get to the second, and another 30 to reach the third. This hike wasn’t especially difficult, but it could be dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing or you’re not focusing when climbing. I had good hiking boots which made the climbs pretty easy while everyone else in my group had tennis shoes. One guy even had vans ._. Great hike with beautiful views

What a beautiful hike! One of my all time favorite so far on the island! While most people make it to the first peak and turn around, I would suggest, if you are in good conditions of course, to push it to at least the second peak. The hike in between the first and second peak is short and the view is so amazing. Between the second and third peak, it becomes more challenging. Much steeper and narrow. People who are a bit scared of heights may stop themself, there are some sketchy area where you can see a wayyyy down. The most beautiful point of view remains the second peak. The way down seems a way longer than the way up. Take a lot of water and sunscreen. I had 32oz and run out of water by the 3rd peak making the way down a long one

Only made it to the first peak and headed back after. The way up is tough and exhausting (took me 100 minutes to reach the first peak), including some nearly vertical climbs using ropes. Stunning views, fun climbs, and the way back down is easy (took me only 35 minutes), even with my worn out sneakers. I would recommend 10/10.

So fun. Very muddy and steep. Ropes are very helpful. We didn’t do the entire hike but stopped at the first peak

Made it to the 1st peak and turned back..psyched myself out after reading about the deaths on the other peaks.. Will go back and shoot for all 3.