Learn more

Nu'uanu Pali Lookout to Likeke Falls

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(54)
Kaneohe, Oahu, Hawaii

Nu'uanu Pali Lookout to Likeke Falls is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kaneohe, Oahu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,463 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note: As of November 2019, the trail is closed due to rocks falling. However, you can still hike it from Koolau Golf Course/Likeke Falls or from Maunawili Trail.

Hi all! Is this trail still closed? Anyone know?

Comment from AllTrails

- 22 days ago

Hello Erica, I am not sure if it is closed or not but based on the recordings on this page it appears that people are hiking it.

Due to rocks falling, trail is closed

fee

This trail has lots of "oh crap am i supposed to be here" moments. check out my adventures with Lincoln the pitbull @ lincenzobrown

Sat Sep 22 2018

Highway and trail are marked as closed and were advised not to take this route

Sun Sep 09 2018

Very nice hike with views and a variety of terrais, but they just put a permanent fence at the pali lookout to prevent people from going down.

Sun Jul 01 2018

Beautiful scenery. Would recommend. We did this with our 5 yr old and had to carry him occasionally, but overall he did great.

Fri Feb 02 2018

It was an ok hike, a lot longer than I expected it to be but it’s a nice hike for beginners.

Mon Jan 29 2018

My wife and I were visiting from Washington State and wanted to do something different on this trip. I’m an avid hiker and she agreed to go on a hike with me so long as we could see a waterfall. I picked this one because it didn’t look too difficult and we could hit the beach later in the day. We started at the Pali lookout and had trouble finding the trailhead. It’s to the right of the viewpoint but you have to jump over barricades and past the “Danger Falling Rocks” signs. My reaction “this trail is going to be awesome!” Wife’s reaction “you didn’t say we were in danger!” We followed the trail for about a mile and came to a junction. This is where it got tricky. We passed along behind a fence and down the trail for about .75 miles before I realized we should have went left. Doubled back and found that the trail that goes under the highway. You will go down a ladder and duck walk under the overpass. My reaction “yay, and extra couple of miles!” Wife’s reaction “I’m going to kill you in your sleep!” It follows an old road and then gets “difficult”. Now the trail is pretty overgrown and takes a couple of switchbacks. My reaction “what an awesome adventure”. Wife’s reaction, “we are going to die”. The trail goes up a steep muddy hill, then keeps winding around the trees and mud. Did I mention the mud? My reaction, “this trail is pretty neat and different from those in Washington”. My wife's reaction, “this might be the last waterfall I ever see before I die!” We came to another Y in the trail just before the falls. We found out from other hikers that this trail goes for about .5 miles to a church and large parking lot. This news didn’t bode well for me. Once we found out there was a shortcut I was a wanted man. We checked out the waterfall took some pictures and went out via the “shortcut” to the church, called and Uber and made it back to our car. All in all we did just under 5 miles. My wife did not die, but she did slip in the mud pretty good. She hasn’t divorced me yet. We will see how her legs feel in the morning though. Bottom line, this is not a beginner hike. Wanna see the falls with a rookie hiker? Take the shortcut and stay married. Check out Hawaii Waterfall Chasing on Relive! https://www.relive.cc/view/g17424770084

Sun Dec 31 2017

Fantastic choice for first timers or visitors wanting to get a bird’s eye view of the island! It’s extremely windy, so be prepared to get blown around a bit. My favorite part of this location is the history. I first visited as a field trip for my college class, and it’s amazing to picture the important battles that took place on the mountain sides. It’s also a bit scary to imagine the men who jumped rather than be taken prisoner! It gives a gorgeous view of the oceanfront and mountainsides, and you can usually spot a storm rolling in over the valley.

Fri Dec 29 2017

Nice hike. Interesting to start downhigh and return uphill. You can also approach the falls from below (search Likeke Falls Trail), which is an easier and shorter hike.

Tue Sep 05 2017