Mo'ole Valley Falls Trail

moderate 68 reviews

Mo'ole Valley Falls Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,138 feet Route Type: Out & Back

No facilities. Park on side of Pail highway

The hike to the first falls was easy, clear path all the way until the entrance of the tunnel. The tunnel is honestly easy to miss but I wanted to go around it because it overlooks the valley, crazy steep and hard to climb though if you don’t have experience. Got to the first waterfalls without a problem. Continued up with the ropes on the right side and found ourselves at a fork. GO LEFT (straight) if you wanna see the second falls find the green spray paint. We accidentally made a right here because I saw a pink ribbon marker, big mistake because it led us to scale the side of the mountain and up and over to the third falls, which essentially is the top of the second falls. We tried to find a path down but failed so we just continued following the markers down back to the first falls. Disappointed to not be able to see what I came for (second falls), but we were not very skilled climbers and the hike to the third falls was for lack of better terms, scary, and definitely much more difficult than the beginning of the hike. Also who thought it was a good idea to use green color as a marker? Blends so easily with the trees..

Awesome trail of you like waterfalls. make sure you go on a rainy day, or just after the rain. The trail is beginner to moderate up to about the 2nd big falls, then more moderate to difficult after. I lost count how many falls I passed or climbed up, but it was around 8 big ones and a bunch of smaller ones that may not be running of it hasn't been raining for the last 3 days. I missed the entrance to the tunnel on the way out, but the trail wasn't that difficult. I took the tunnel on the way back, definitely a shortcut, and cool little detour. Headlamp is not required since you can see light from the other end the whole length of the tunnel. The ropes were all in good condition, and bugs didn't bother me. Follow the map on here and it will take you to the 2nd falls (biggest), but it looks like a dead end. back track downstream about 100yrds and keep an eye out for the orange or pink ribbons on the left (southside of the river) to take you up the side of the steep ravine. I had to make my own way up since I didn't see the marks, but about 50ft off the valley floor I started seeing and followed them. It was much easier to follow them on the way back. GPS on the phone was good until I turned up the valley near the first waterfall. it stated getting jumpy after that. My Garmin watch was solid the whole time though.

closed

We were unable to do this one because the Pali highway is currently closed.

I found the first 2 waterfalls and went off trail to try to find a way to the others. Failed but enjoyed the hike all the same. So if anyone wants to show me how to get to the other falls message me on IG @tylerznovak please and thanks.

don't use the tunnel, it was the closest thing to hell I've experienced. Standing water, brown, uneven footing on underwater rocks. it was probably the length of a football field. the hike around the tunnel is hard, though. some places i just sat down and slid down on my butt, rather than fall while trying to not slip. the hike until you get to the spilt is awesome. at the split, go to left for tunnel (then another left right away). or go right to continue up the mountain and avoid the tunnel.

Tue Feb 19 2019

We only made it to the first waterfall. Trail was a little hard to find at times. The tunnel has about a foot of gross water in it. You can go around, but it is steep, muddy, and sharp drop offs along the ridge. Added probably 30 minutes too.

Mon Jan 21 2019

This is trail information from/to the second waterfall (passing the first waterfall). There are as many as 10 waterfalls I read but we were just interested in the second waterfall. Super muddy. Trail is hard to follow as the markers change colors but we used pink in the beginning and green towards the waterfalls (descending the mountainside). The waterfall was trickling as the weather has been kinda dry this weekend. Slippery and muddy in some areas but definitely a hike for most peoples and some four legged friends. Be careful crossing the freeway!

Mon Dec 31 2018

My husband and I, and the dog, really enjoyed this hike! It wasn't incredibly muddy and not very difficult. The entrance is really easy to find. After crossing the road, walk a little ways down the fence until you see a gate. Then just follow the red spray paint! We didn't see the entrance for the tunnel on our way in. (Its pretty close to the first falls) But we decided to go through it on the way back. Mistake!! We got about halfway through the tunnel and encountered the water. We decided not to turn back and trudged through the disgusting water which was about 12 inches deep in parts. While it is a nice detour/shortcut to avoid the climb, I wouldnt do it again. I highly recommend going past the first fall and venture to the last waterfall, it's by far the best!!

Sat Dec 29 2018

Trail was washed out in a few places but aside from that it was an enjoyable hike. Not a whole lot to see aside from jungle. There is a waterfall but it’s small. Lulumahu falls across the road is a prettier waterfall.

Tue Dec 25 2018

This trail is not marked. Once you park the car (on Kailua bound side), you will need to run thru the traffic to the other side of the Pali highway, then you will see a fence, keep walking toward kailua side and in one min you will see there is an entrance to go in. It will be a very easy hike in a sunny and dry day. We have some 5 years old children hiked with us today. It can get very muddy and make it more fun and challenging.

Wed Dec 05 2018

Quite the overgrown trail with lots of tangled webs of branches to traverse. The painted markings help but recommend a GPS device or use of All Trails as it is needed. Not as muddy which meant the falls weren't as full. The tunnel or drainage ditch would have be cool to conquer but didn't have a head lamp.

Thu Nov 08 2018

it was realy hard for me to follow the trail and got lost several times. Also, there was a dead hog near the entrence to the tunnel and I think that was the reason I missed it. but i would not go in it anyway. the walk around is very slippery.

Sun Nov 04 2018

This is quite possibly my favorite trail for waterfalls in Oahu. It's also the only one where we had to call a rescue chopper and it took us 4 attempts (for various reasons) to finish. Its (like all Hawaii trails) muddy. Micro spikes are not a bad idea. Its heavily wooded and can be a bit difficult to find the right path sometimes. Watch for your pink markers and follow your GPS. The tunnel through can be a bit hard to spot and its long enough that a light is useful. Personally I always just go over the top but be warned its slick up near the top and micro spikes are almost a requirement. No harming of pitching off to your doom but still its pretty annoying without them. We always save the second falls for last as its the most spectacular and its not in line with a continuous path to the rest. From 1 to three requires a noticeable amount of up and its a ways. From 3- 7 are all pretty close together and get progressively more difficult to maneuver I would say no to bringing kids and NO WAY on dogs. we tried once but there are points it just cannot be done. Straight vertical climbs with rope. 4 is where we had to call the chopper so be careful. the path gets very thin there for a minute. Most people contend this is a 7 waterfall hike and I will tell you that waterfall 10 is my personal favorite so take from that what you will...

Mon Jun 11 2018

Awesome trail. Really muddy, which I am sure are the usual circumstances regarding this hike. You don’t need to go through the tunnel; to the left there is a path around.

Mon May 21 2018

It’s an awesome trail that quickly takes you away into the thick Hawaiian jungle to get lost.

Wed Nov 22 2017

I didn’t like this hike for a couple of reasons. There’s no clear path in the beginning so we spent (wasted) time trying to find our way to the path...then we missed the tunnel completely which was actually great but made the trail longer I think. We got a view of valley we wouldn’t have had otherwise so that was nice...The waterfalls were what makes this hike not a lost cause...they are beautiful of course! We meant to see 2 but ended up tracking to a 3rd, erroneously and it was pretty sketchy...mush ground with leaves at an angle wasn’t for a very safe hiking section...long way back and we found the tunnel on our way out...it definitely saved time but it was upnto our ankles in water and mud mush...I don’t even want to think about the disgustingness lurking in that water...then trying to get out at the end was frustrating! Just like trying to find he Trail, we had a really hard time getting out...

Wed Sep 20 2017

This has become one of my favorite trails for taking friends and family. Once you get inside the gate it is a little difficult trying to pick up the trail. You may find it hard to locate the entrance to the tunnel. Use your GPS to get to its location using the chart provided by this app. Once through the Tunnel, make sure you proceed to the second waterfall which is the best.

Sat Apr 29 2017

this was a great hike for my wife and I that we did in the rain. as far as muddy, it wasn't as bad as people said, just wet cause the rain. in spite of some reviews, the incline was mellow, and there was a lot of roots but as long as your paying attention it's fine. we stopped at waterfall #2 because it was so spectacular, it was only about 1 mile out. then headed back. the overall ambiance, peaceful birdies, and cool trees made it all worth it. ☺

Sat Feb 18 2017

Cop was watching the place but didn't care when I asked him if I could cross the street to find the trail. Not to hard to find the path you need to take but the hike itself is just to miserable. Hard hikes are the best but this one is an insanely slow pace because of all the vines, trees, bushes and shrubs blocking the path. Also spend more time swatting away mosquitoes and picking spider webs off your face and legs then actual looking around at the beauty. Add in the deep mud and you have a hike that just isn't worth the issues that plague it.