Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven) [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 8.5 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.5 km Elevation Gain: 804 m Route Type: Point to Point

partially paved

private property

PLEASE NOTE: The act of being ON the Haiku stairs at any point along the route is trespassing on government property. Violators/trespassers are SUBJECT TO $1000 FINES, COMMUNITY SERVICE, BENCH WARRANTS, AND/OR ARREST. If you receive a citation you will be required to appear in court. The ONLY way to LEGALLY hike TO the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections. Use caution when hiking as this is a steep and sometimes muddy hike that has had injuries and fatalities. Hikers MUST be mindful of neighborhood residents who live in this area. Noise complaints, parking violations and exiting the trail via residential properties will result in a fine.

10 minutes ago

Such an exhilarating trail that really puts your body and mind to the ultimate test. The views are incredible and worth every minute and mile of this trail. Bring A LOT of water, snacks, sunscreen and gloves really help for the ropes. Pack a long sleeve tee for the top (it’s chilly). I didn’t need spikes but some good traction helps. IG: @aloha.itslisa

Going tomor June 18th if anyone wants to meet up! Email me at npt2k7@gmail.com

Aloha! I typically hike up 1-3 days a week and have been doing so for over 3 years now. Will be going this weekend of the 22nd/23rd along with some weekdays too. Message me to find out more! I have done this hike more than most on island. (over 150+ times) The hike can be muddy and or rainy but we never have any issues as I always provide the proper gear (including microspikes) when we go. Make sure to bring plenty of water and food for this hike and other hikes out here in Hawaii. Feel free to reach out to me on instagram mike.karas or via email at mikekarasphotography@gmail.com.

Beautiful views at the top and the hike up was really fun, but dang, the hike down is a killer. It is well worth it!

It's been ten years since I hiked this, but I still remember that amazing view! I also remember being so sore I could hardly move for days, haha! So worth it, if you have the stamina!

I’m looking to go up this Sunday the 16th IG: JB_561

Very fun trial to the top of the stairs.. Recommend: small backpack, plenty of water/ sports drink, snacks, gloves (for climbing the ropes), trail shoes with crampons, sunscreen, portable charger for cell phone (don’t want your phone to die without getting some awesome pics). Enjoy

I did this hike a couple years ago with a group. This is the only way to hike Stairway to Heaven legally and it was probably more fun then taking the stairs up. Heading up the Moanalua Valley Trail was very challenging but rewarding. We spent a lot of time up top by the old radio tower before heading down the stairs. Incredible views. The stairs were a lot scarier than I expected, as I am not *that* afraid of heights. Definitely worth it though! I want to do it again!

Hey hikers! Me and my sister are wanting to either hike up the stairs or up the Moanalua valley trail and come back down the stairs on Friday the 21st. If anyone is interested in tagging along or can help us navigate our way message me on Instagram! RLZACHARY

Bring gloves and shoe spikes and plenty of water.

Incredible views with challenges. Definite worth’s a try, but not recommended for a second time. Some parts were really dangerous. Great experience and memories.

Anybody going up tomorrow 6/8? Email me kb1_2000@hotmail.com

Spikes are worth the investment for the legal way up. Grueling trail but so worth the island view.

PSA regarding directions at the “turn here” Waypoint. Very easy to get lost as there are poor signage and a few offshoots. After about 2-2.5 miles you will enter some mangroves. We met a pair of hikers that had continued straight and into the valley further. You want to be aware to the trail to your RIGHT that continues for less than 100 meter to a small clearing with the signs: “Warning flash flood” sign on left and “Na ala hele - Hawaii trails and access system; kulana’ahane trail” on right. See photos for pic. This is the “turn here” waypoint. You must walk PAST the sign on the trail and down into the creek/ditch/river bed to the other side. (There is a trail on the far right, not past the sign, into some brush and easily mistaken as the correct trail because it seems to be a continuation from where you came. Acording to a pair of lost hikers we met, it goes to a clearing with an “end of trail” sign). Obviously not what you want to get to the ridge. So as I have described, walk PAST the sign on the trail and down into the creek/ditch/river bed to the other side. This gets tricky as there is a trail to the LEFT into some mangroves with pink ribbons and trail markers. If you end up there, it is to the water spot waypoint and it is the WRONG way to the ridge. Once you are past the ditch, go RIGHT and you should begin hiking up elevation almost IMMEDIATELY on the ridge and get beyond the tree line. Overall great challenging hike for the second park. Tricky to find the ridge trail start. Hope my description has helped. Bring lots of water (2+ liters per person) and snacks for the top. Hiking shoes are a must to get traction up muddy portions with rope. Hiked it on 6/6/2019 staring at 9 and finished about 5. Spent 1 hr figuring out the start of the ridge trail and chilled at the top for 1 hr. Happy hiking. Mahalo.

There will be two of us going tomorrow morning 6/7 at 4am if anyone is interested in joining. Wouldn’t mind someone with experience. Jtsellsparadise@gmail.

This is an epic hike. I go up every weekend. Conditions were pretty muddy last Saturday, I saw a bunch of people struggling to get up that had regular tennis shoes on. Spikes can make a huge difference on this hike, I have extra spikes you can use. I will be going up this Saturday June 8. Message on instagram @angelo_q or email me at chicolo@hotmail.com if you'd like to join. Make sure to bring plenty of water and food.

Looking to around July 6-8 if anyone is around and want to group up. Wzhao86@yahoo.com

looking for someone to do it with on early monday morning 3rd June. reach me out at rolehcab.v@gmail.com mahalo!

We did this hike few days ago. Some advise: start early (6am) as you can cover a lot of the trail before it gets hot. Microspikes can be helpful but not necessary. Once you turn (as marked on the map) make sure you don’t wonder off trail as due to constant rain the terrain is extremely soft and may give out and u can slide down... a lot of people say it’s a very difficult hike. I am fit but wouldn’t describe myself as athletic and this hike was not that bad for me. There were a LOT of people on this hike so it’s really not as strenuous as some say. There are two short parts of the hike that are very steep (you need to use rope to help yourself up) but other than that it’s not too bad. Just use common sense and stay safe. Make sure you check weather before taking this hike. Hiking during rain can be deadly as it can get VERY slippery!

I’m looking for a guide or someone who’s wanna to the haiku stairs this weekend, let me know insta @abraham0531 or email acg31c@hotmail.com

Definitely worth it to be able to take some pictures of the Stairways in a legal way. Recommended are spikes, as the weather can change quickly and it is slippery and muddy in light rain.

Hi! We are planning on hiking the Haiku stairs tomorrow. If anyone is planning to go and want to join us feel free to text me! My Instagram is @monterix ! And my email jmontero_1990@hotmail.com

Looking for a guide or somebody who’s familiar available this Sunday June 2nd. Lmk! Instagram @jb_561

Mirte text me 2064729548 I want to try this hike also

One of the hardest trails I've done in my life. accidentally went the wrong way and 1 hr in realizing we were going the wrong way only to turn back and hour. 10 hr hike shouldve been 8. trail was muddy and verticals were a challenge but the top what absolutely breathtaking. we took the risk of going down the stairs and got a warning from the security guard as well as running into a few hikers that advised us to go towards anchor church where we got a lyft to take us back to our car. my body still hates me but easily one of the best hiking experiences.

Best 8 hours of hiking I’ve ever done!

Looking for hiking buddy between 31 may and 9th of June! IG: huismanmirte

This is an epic hike. I go up every weekend. Conditions were great last Saturday, I will be going up this Saturday June 1st . This hike can get pretty muddy and windy. Spikes can make a huge difference on this hike if it's muddy, I have extra spikes you can use. Message on instagram @angelo_q or email me at chicolo@hotmail.com if you'd like to join. Make sure to bring plenty of water and food