hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(1457)
Honolulu Watershed Forest Reserve

Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven) [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,637 feet Route Type: Point to Point

partially paved

fee

PLEASE NOTE: The act of being ON the Haiku stairs at any point along the route is trespassing on government property. Violators/trespassers are SUBJECT TO $1000 FINES, COMMUNITY SERVICE, BENCH WARRANTS, AND/OR ARREST. If you receive a citation you will be required to appear in court. The ONLY way to LEGALLY hike TO the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections. Use caution when hiking as this is a steep and sometimes muddy hike that has had injuries and fatalities. Hikers MUST be mindful of neighborhood residents who live in this area. Noise complaints, parking violations and exiting the trail via residential properties will result in a fine.

Aloha! Fun hike. Can be muddy like lots of the ridges out here on island. Definitely not a short one. I hike this trail quite often. Microspikes are good to have. At minimum please wear proper hiking footwear and be prepared. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen. Feel free to reach out to me on Instagram @mike.karas or my email mikekarasphotography@gmail.com for info or other questions if you’d like to go. I’ve done most of the hikes on the island before. Also please pack out your trash! Too many litterbugs on the island sadly. Mahalo!

private property

This is a tough trail but it’s totally worth it. I went up with a hiking group just to be safe because I’ve read that it is easy to get lost in the beginning of the hike. There are two turns that are kind of easy to miss at the bottom. The bottom of the hike is also extremely muddy so don’t wear a good pair of shoes. The views are absolutely gorgeous at the top.

This was nice and challenging. Definitely should do it on a dry day and hope you get some better views at the top than we did.

The best hike I’ve done so far. I recommend this hike to everyone on the island or tourist as a must do. My friends and I didn’t wear spites which we deeply regretted. The summit was cool but the views were second to none. I’m going to do it next month again. Expect a large crowd about a mile out from the summit. This is not a hike beginners should start with.

Did this hike by myself for the second time, yesterday. I'm a middle-aged hiker, so by the time I had made it to the stairs, my knees were sore. Hike up (I thought) was much easier than coming down. It rained several times, and the ridge and one climbing wall with rope were super slippery. Next time, I'll do like some other hikers and bring spikes. This is definitely one of my favorite hikes, both for its length and the views. I wish less hikers spoiled the wilderness by playing music loudly in the valley, but it's not like this is an untouched trail in Vietnam or Cambodia, so it's to be expected. It is easy to find peace by letting noisy groups simply pass you by.

Challenging but wonderful hike. Recommend spikes and gloves, especially if it's been raining. Nice to go early for cooler temps, but odds of a clear view at the top and less slick conditions can be better as the day goes on, depending on the weather. Gorgeous views on the way up and down. Bucket list hike on Oahu for sure!

Beautiful hike but HARD. Best views of the entire island of any hike I’ve done here. We got stuck waiting on groups that were not prepared at all to be using ropes or basically scaling rocks/sides at points. There was a lot of loose gravel that made even the flat ground slippery, recommend crampons for this hike even when it’s dry. Doable in good hiking boots as well, but less slips with crampons. Bring a lot of water. We moved relatively fast and still took over 6hrs due to waiting.

Aloha everyone! This the best hike I’ve done on the island so far!! But be prepared! Start early like 7 or 8AM so that you are hiking down the mountain during the peak heat. Check the weather report and plan to go after a day where it hasn’t rained. Bring a lot of water (4 liters). I know this is a lot but believe me...somebody else could use it. Mahalo!! Also.. I’ve read a lot of these reviews and they say to bring gloves... I disregarded that and paid for it. Going up the ropes is not too hard because you have to use them and you’re excited to get to the top.... Going down is a different story....You don’t have to use the ropes, on the way down...You could slide down on your feet and grab any root or branch on the side of the trail.. Lastly...,There is lots of rubbish on the trail... Please take as much as you can on the way down Mahalo!!

Hardest hike I’ve done but the most rewarding! Definitely wear hiking shoes with proper traction, bring gloves, crampons, and lots of water.

Excellent hike with amazing views! Highly recommend crampons, gloves and LOTS of water. Took me about 3.5 hours to reach the summit.

The conditions were ideal today, but the trail was still a little slippery near the long rope section. You might want to bring crampons, especially if you want to go back the way you came. I turned around at the radio station, and the round-trip was just under 10 miles. It took me about 4.5 hours, with some rest at the radio station and waiting for people to pass on the way down. Having done several different hikes on Oahu, this trail is overrated. The first 2.7 miles are just a nature walk, with no views.

We went the legal route (Moanalua Valley) and I would recommend this way. We went maybe 1/4 of a mile down the stairs and back up, and those were exhausting!! The legal route is much more gradual, albeit longer. There are still very steep portions on the legal route that have ropes (not usually needed). Great hike! Unfortunately there was heavy cloud cover at the top when we went today. We started at 7:30am and it took us 5.5 hours there and back with some time on the stairs. This hike isn’t as hard as some of the other ridge hikes I’ve done on the island. I drank 2.5L of water. A bit crowded today (mothers day).

My wife and I did the hike this morning, took us about 6 hours round trip. The way up wasn't too bad, not a ton of people and not too physically taxing. The views up top were beautiful and luckily cloud cover broke a few times at the summit so we could see everything. On the way down, it was bad, lots of people, wind gusts picked up, and a little rain. Biggest issue coming down was certain areas its difficult to find your footing and loose rocks made it easy to lose traction. We brought 3L of water each, we both went finished our water on the way down. Check the weather the week before you want to do the hike and make sure it didn't rain the day before.

Amazing and legal way to get to the stairs. But the journey there is not to be discounted. This hike is beautiful almost the entire way. Beginning is tricky past the weird cement parts. We counted them to stay in track. Trailhead was difficult to find. But the physical part, the hiking, wasn’t too bad. Some spots with ropes. Wear spikes. It was dry on our way in and raining/fog on the way back which was scary, quite frankly. At one point on the way back the trail splits and me and my partner ended up in different ridges believe it or not. Had to call out to each other because of thick fog, and confirm with incoming hikers which trail/location was the one we wanted to be one. Only had to backtrack about five minutes but that was scary. Fog was scary. Regardless I highly recommend this hike. Can’t control the Hawaii weather. Just stick close to your group. IG: @pieandthesky

private property

Trail is flat and uneventful for the first couple miles. The overall climb doesn’t feel too tough. View at the top was tremendous. Definitely must return

IG: hikin_hawaii Stats 10.2 miles round trip 3,100 feet of elevation gained 5 hours Review: The first 3 miles are easy breezy. Not much elevation gain. However, that means the remaining 2.1 miles to the top is roughly 2,700 feet of elevation gain. Meaning, get ready!! It was extremely windy today which slowed my pace slightly. Be careful on the open ridges when there are high winds because they can throw you around. Overall, this could be one of my favorite hikes. You can see everything!! Kualoa, China mans hat, 3 peaks, A majority of the Ko’olau mountain range, and Lanikai. Have fun, take plenty of water and enjoy!

So much fun! First 3 miles are easy. Follow all trails map and lookup some blogs who give you guidance on how you get to the correct trail after about 3 miles of access road. Once on the Middle Ridge trail there’s a bit with trees and roots and incline along a ridge then after that it’s more rocky and has ropes to help with the incline. Was definitely not easy but wasn’t as difficult as I was prepared for. Depends on your experiences and comfort in hiking. I had trail shoes, packed spikes, food, 3L water (used around 2), and gloves. The gloves were a Godsend coming back down the roped sections. Have fun and be safe! It’s a heck of a view