Learn more

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(1497)
Honolulu Watershed Forest Reserve

Moanalua Valley Trail to the Haiku Stairs (Stairway To Heaven) [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 5.3 mi Elevation gain 2,637 ft Route type Point to Point
Dog friendly Backpacking Hiking Nature trips Walking Forest Partially paved Views Wild flowers Wildlife Blowdown Bugs Muddy Over grown Rocky Scramble Washed out Private property Fee
Description
Waypoints (3)
Facilities
Tips
Getting There

PLEASE NOTE: The act of being ON the Haiku stairs at any point along the route is trespassing on government property. Violators/trespassers are SUBJECT TO $1000 FINES, COMMUNITY SERVICE, BENCH WARRANTS, AND/OR ARREST. If you receive a citation you will be required to appear in court. The ONLY way to LEGALLY hike TO the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) starts at the Moanalua Valley Road trail and proceeds to shoot off to the left at about 2.5 miles. Though it is by far the easiest way up, it still has some sections of near vertical, rope and muddy sections. Use caution when hiking as this is a steep and sometimes muddy hike that has had injuries and fatalities. Hikers MUST be mindful of neighborhood residents who live in this area. Noise complaints, parking violations and exiting the trail via residential properties will result in a fine.

There is parking in the park parking lot, but it's only open from 7 am to 7 pm. So if you're going to be later than that park outside on the street so as not to get towed. There is a bathroom and water at the park only.

-2L water MINIMUM. Know yourself and what you need, and bring more than that. -Good shoes. Not runners, not tennis, etc. shoes meant for hiking. Hiking sandals are ok IF you're experienced hiking in muddy slippery conditions in them. -Food. -Rain jacket/windbreaker . Not a must, but its often raining, and windy. -Headlamp. If the weather goes bad on you, you could get stuck for a while. Have some light. -Dogs and babies not advisable on this trail

Start at the parking lot at the end of Moanalua Valley Road. Begin walking the trail and after about 2.5 miles you'll see the sign on the left for "Kulana'ahane Trail". Go past it about 20 paces. It will take you through a creek bed, where the trail is fairly obvious to find. Continue on the main trail up and up and up. Eventually you will crest on a peak with a sign pointing the way you've come, the first indication of the trails actual name of "Middle Ridge".

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (1500)
Photos (2127)
Recordings (628)
Completed (2982)
Pohn Thaneouthith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 20, 2020
View Pohn's Recording
William Neff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2020
View William's Recording
Monisha Neff
View Monisha's Recording
Michael Karas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 18, 2020
Hiking

Aloha! Fun hike. Can be muddy like lots of the ridges out here on island. Definitely not a short one. I hike this trail quite often. Microspikes are good to have. At minimum please wear proper hiking footwear and be prepared. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen. Feel free to reach out to me on Instagram @mike.karas or my email mikekarasphotography@gmail.com if you’d like to join me or for info/other questions about the hike. I’ve done most of the hikes on the island before. Also please pack out your trash! Too many litterbugs on the island sadly. Mahalo!

Brandyn Schwalm
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 17, 2020
Nature trips

Amazing hike ! Just a heads up if you do the legal way it’s really around a 10 mile round trip hike not a 5 mile hike.. we made that mistake and ended up hiking down in the dark.

Cheshire D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2020
Rock climbingGreat!Muddy

Forgot to write a review for this trail. 100 this is worth every bit of sweat. It’s definitely long, strenuous and taxing. Rewarding is the least descriptive way to describe the view and achievement. Note worthy it can get incredibly windy, some of the trail is loose so, slips are to be expected. Pack provisions (proteins, water 3litres worth, maybe some bandages-there was a bloke who got blisters). Definitely a must, will do again.

kim jin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2020
Hiking

Hard but rewarding and fun!

View kim's Recording
Jess Arita
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 11, 2020
HikingGreat!

Amazing trail with great views. Super easy to get lost on so just make sure you have the map layers downloaded. Also you pretty much lose phone service the moment you start the trail so you want to ensure you have everything situated before getting there. I would advise not to park in the parking lot (closes at 7pm) and instead park in the neighborhood. Bring plenty of snacks and water! It is a long and strenuous trail even for an experienced hiker. If you have any questions feel free to look at my highlights on this trail @thehikingPomeranian

Jordan Alvarez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020

Went for the first time about a month ago with 3 friends. Some of them have done it so we thought we didn't need a map. Bad idea we got lost for an hour just trying to find the trailhead. Total hike took us 9 hours. This is an endurance hike and all day. So clear your schedule for the day and go early. Take the left up the hill at the sign and not the right to the gulch. It was hard at the a couple points but mostly moderate hike. Saw families, pet dogs, and tourists. The views are spectacular of the ridges and when you get near the top you can see the east side and chinamans hat. My trick was to keep talking to my friends and it really kept my spirits up and my mind off the time hiking. The 2 rope sections are tricky. Use the ropes and be patient of people going up and down. I tried not using the rope because I didn't want to wait and almost fell off the incline due to the mud collected under my shoes. If its raining this will be more difficult. But the rope sections only take 15mins each. When we got to summit and I saw the satellite dish I felt like I had accomplished something so great. I could have cried. Thought I would never have done this hike. Checked this off my bucket list.

Justin Perry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 21, 2020
Hiking

most amazing hike I have ever done. bucket list hike.

Abigail Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

Hi! This hike is amazing. I will warn you in the final section there is a very intimidating rock climb involving rope. I’ve seen people turn around there every single time I go up. But the rest is beautiful and worth the challenge. THE BEST hike on the island by far. I’ve done it so many times and I actually have my own hiking tour company on oahu. We specialize in “adventure photography”. You can reach out to us on Instagram @hike.oahu . Basically we’ll take you on this trail or pretty much any hike on the island and also take really cool action shots of you hiking along the way. DM me for more info.

Kimo Villon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
View Kimo's Recording
keoni casuga
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020

this hike is a literal pain in the butt. the first part is steep climbs and leads to narrow paths. the end it gets muddy and windy and there's some dangerous rope areas so be very cautious. overall it was a hike that was worth it. also makes sure you stay to the right when you get to the turn in the begging. many people get lost there.

Abigail Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020
HikingMuddyNo shadeOver grownRockyScramble

Kharisma Moraski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingMuddy

Amazing adventure! We did this hike last year and it was great! It starts off a little slow but then becomes one of the most amazing views, elevation etc! The weather switched in and out of sunny and rainy making views constantly change. I loved the 400ft muddy rope stretch. And being on the stairs and experiencing history was so special. A must do hike !!!

Megan Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

I LOVED this hike so much. it's definitely difficult. we started at 3:30am and got to the bottom at 9:30am, spent about 45min to an hr at the top and exploring the stairs. it was extremely muddy and I slipped a few times so ensure you got proper hiking shoes! there were times at the end of the hike on ridges I crouched down because the wind was super strong and I'm not a very heavy person lol. there are ropes on this hike which helped on certain parts going up. I didnt use them going down, I just used my hands. watch out for branches, I hit my head 3 times lol. be prepared to get really dirty! kinda cold at the top if its cloudy and windy so if you plan on staying take a jacket or sweat. all in all I woll 100% do this again.

Romeo Barut
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2020
HikingBlowdownMuddyPrivate propertyRockyWashed out

I have hiked both, the front and the back. I do not recommend doing the back for the reason than the trail is starting to get washed off, narrow and muddy, windy, rare and few views. It took this long because I am hiking it with a friend who is 63yrs old. I find back trail to be a boring hike and not a challenge. Only the weak take this route.

View Romeo's Recording
Brian Murphy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

Breathtaking and amazing experience. Definitely slick when conditions are muddy and windy. The rope sections in the last third are very achievable, but definitely have your trail shoes. Worth the views at the top!

View Brian's Recording