Learn more

Moanalua/Kamananui Valley Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(647)
Honolulu Watershed Forest Reserve

Moanalua/Kamananui Valley Trail is a 10.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.3 miles Elevation Gain: 3,211 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail begins at the end of Moanalua Valley at Moanalua Valley Park. The trail starts as a road barred by a green gate. The road eventually turns to an unimproved road and later a narrow trail. The trail to the top of the Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) is also on this trail approximately 2 miles past the trailhead

Great trail with diverse conditions. Check the weather and conditions prior. I’m too tired to write anymore right now.

One of my favorite hikes in Hawaii. Get there early in the morning and be wary of rainy days or post rain as it gets insanely slick and muddy. There are multiple rope assisted areas that are very steep but very rewarding m. This is the legal way to the Stairs and radio tower. Spectacular views of Oahu from the top

Great trail and way to spend Father’s Day. Next time will make it here earlier to make it to to top!

Beautiful trail. Flat on road at the beginning but gets really fun after that

I'm interested in doing this hike as well as haiku stairs. dbgoodfella on IG or bdan870 on snap if interested.

We started 5am while it’s still dark, a lot of views you can look at for beautiful scenery. We came across bad weather and terrain (cloudy) (rainy) (muddy) (super windy). I would definitely check the weather conditions before going on this hike but eventually we made it all the way to haiku stairs which was 6 hours overall hike. Bring lots of water and definitely be in great cardio shape.

By far one of my favorites on the island, first couple miles are more of a brisk walk warming you up to the trail and then it gets pretty vertical with a decent amount of rock scrambling, definitely will be a lot muddier on rainier weeks but was pretty dry when I did it yesterday, if you’re not in the best of shape you may struggle a little but I think it can be done by anybody who’s comfortable on ridges because of the small amount of direct cliff exposure, the views on top are some of the best you’ll find on a clear day

Such a fun hike! Definitely a good sense of accomplishment once we were done. Lots of people on the trail. Hiked 3 days ago, was kind of muddy but not too bad. I brought 2 L of water which was not enough for me personally. Recommend 3L. Trail is easy enough to follow. Park on street and head past the bathrooms on the path into the woods. Once you get to the river with the sign, don’t cross yet, continue uphill until you see the next opening (15 ft) and then cross. Simple from there. Crossing the river at the sign will take you up to the radio tower a completely different way. Have fun!

Definitely NOT an easy trail, first three miles maybe, the two plus miles to the top is straight up climbing. Not suitable for anyone who’s not at least in a decent to great fitness level. Plan to spend at least 5-7 hours, depends on your fitness level, beautiful at the top but really hard work to get there. Consider im a 43, an workout 4-5 days a week.

Very pretty trail, took both kids. One walked and one we used a carrier. Though I wouldn’t recommend a stroller, certain areas are paved but most are rocky not suitable for one. Plenty of shade and side routes to take. We didn’t do the 10 plus mile hike but stopped and enjoyed the scenery. Will definitely do the full hike without kids, saw plenty of people walking and everyone practiced social distancing. It hasn’t rained for days so the areas were dry. Don’t know if I would try the trail with kids if it rained and was muddy. All in all very pleasant experience.

Lovely shaded trail for all levels! The beginning is even stroller friendly. Great for families wanting to get out for a walk. Lots of good off shoots to explore (respectfully of course.) We made it about 1.7 miles in before turning around. Our recording is only our hike out as we forgot to start recording at the beginning. There is a parking lot which I’m sure gets full at times but on a Wednesday mid afternoon there was plenty of parking. Not too busy, you’ll definitely see other but it does not feel crowded. We will definitely be adding this one to our regular rotation. Cons: little buggy be sure to bring bug spray, could be muddy with rain

This is an easy hike. Great for dogs to enjoy the walk. Just be cautious, people are given hunting permits around this area-even though the actual hunting doesn’t take place in a close proximity to the trail itself, I would use caution with letting your pup roam. Side note, it’s pretty basic and it’s kind of repetitive. Enjoy!

Really nice trail-flat and paved partially. I saw many kids and dogs that are enjoying the trail as well. It’s pretty long but we went about 1hr up and spent 1hr to come down. Amazing nature and lots of flowers/trees! But be aware of mosquitoes. Parking was difficult-we had to park on the street about 15 mins walk away from the entrance. Still, I recommend!

Pretty easy trail.

Perfect trail for families with young children. Older or more experienced trail kids will enjoy using the more strenuous, but short side trails and exploring different obstacles. Little kids get their fair share of adventure on the main trail and can be towed or helped along the side trails. Some loose gravel can makes things a little risky for backpacking babies as with most trails, but if you are cautious, it is not likely to be a problem. Stay clear of wild pigs. As for current conditions, the trail is wide enough to pass another person or family with respectable space. Parking is decent, street parking is an option avoiding driveways and mailboxes.