Mau'umae Trail (Lanipo Trail)

Mau'umae Trail (Lanipo Trail) is a 10.6 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 10.6 km Elevation Gain: 862 m Route Type: Out & Back

A moderate to difficult hike, and an interesting climb up and down 3 peaks rather than all up going and all down coming back. Half of the hike is narrow track through 3 foot high brush so the suggestion to wear pants is a good one. Take plenty of water and some food, and depending on your phone battery a portable charger as well. Be aware of possible weather changes and do not attempt this hike if it is very windy.

It was windy and muddy. Not ideal conditions. The trail features rough, single-track steps of red clay that are somewhat treacherous when wet. Good shoes with traction are a must for this hike. The assist ropes in certain sections worked well and supported our weight with ease (roughly 200 lbs with pack). When we reached the top, we were able to catch snatches of amazing views through the press of clouds. Taxing but would definitely do again.

Get ready to do some climbing and be out in the sun. Very little shade. Beautiful views

Great trail with great views, but be prepared. Ferns and brush are overgrown, about waist to chest high in places. Lots of changes in terrain, and gets very muddy towards the top. Shoes with good traction are a must. Wear long pants and bring plenty of water!

Wear pants because the ferns scratch your legs for 2/3 the hike. Bring lots of water. Trail is NOT maintained so be prepared to take it slow.

We heard this was a moderate 7.5 mile out and back trail with great views. I would not call this a moderate hike. We started out at 6:30am and were in shorts. The trailhead is at the top of an extremely steep hill. It sits between a fenced in building and a house. The first 3/4mile is beautiful and well maintained. It is up and down like people say and has some great scrambles and views. Doing this in the cool of the day was great, but at the end of the hike, in the heat, was much different. There isn’t much shade in this section. The trail quickly narrows to about 6” for the rest of the hike and it is not maintained. The bush was as high as my shoulders most of the way and we were breaking the trail in with our legs. Given we were in shorts, that was not much fun. Definitely wear pants on this one! At least one, and sometimes, both, sides of the trail were immediate and steep drop offs. What was good and bad was that they were covered with the vines and ferns and other foliage so it would appear like solid ground at times when it wasn’t. You must watch your steps carefully, or, as one person wrote, you will find yourself in an irrecoverable fall. The trail was poorly labeled with only an occasional pink ribbon in places on a tree limb. There are views along the way that were great and there are ropes installed in places to help with some of the steep and muddy climbs. We made it to where we could see Ka’au Crater and the waterfall and then went to the next peak after that point. The view was not great and we did not feel like we had a reward for all that climbing. That is where we had lunch and decided to turn around. I recommend bringing extra water on this one! I would not rate this trail as moderate, but it was fun. If I did it again I would leave even earlier than 6:30, wear pants, and bring more water. Overall a great way to experience Hawaii and I’m glad I did it!

Beautiful views. Lots of scrambling. We hiked to the bench and back. We saw descriptions that said that the bench was .7 miles in but it was more like 1.3 according to my fit bit. It’s a good turn around point if you don’t want to go all the way out. I took a gorgeous panorama shot there. The wind is real up there. It wasn’t that strong but can be unnerving nonetheless. Definitely don’t go if wind is forecasted (but when is it not on a ridge hike!). Overall, I loved it!

Good hike, very nice panoramic view from top. I could see Moloka’i from the last summit. However the trail’s is very overgrown, so I highly recommend wearing long pants!