Manoa Falls Trail

Manoa Falls Trail is a 2.4 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.4 km Elevation Gain: 138 m Route Type: Out & Back

A short hike to the base of Manoa Falls in the Manoa Valley in Honolulu, Oahu, the Manoa Falls Trail winds through a lush Hawaiian tropical rainforest filled with movie scene locations from Jurassic Park and LOST. The trail can be quite muddy, so proper closed toe footwear is recommended. Unfortunately, swimming is not allowed in the pool at the base of the waterfall but the views alone justify this easy hike. This area receives significant rainfall so check the weather before going to avoid flash floods. The trailhead is a short drive from downtown Honolulu and can be accessed at the end of Manoa Road.There is a $5 fee to park. Visitors might also be interested in the nearby Lyon Arboretum and Botanical Garden which preserves endangered Hawaiian plant species.

It is a good walkable path. Sturdy shoes are recommended. The path is due to the environment (jungle) wet, partly muddy and slippery. The waterfall is worth seeing. But the trail is very busy and partly crowded. As a result, even in making jobs by carelessness and hectic something uncertain.

This trail can be muddy and slick in spots. Multiple areas along the way to stop. Falls are interesting but nothing to get excited about

Really beautiful hike!

Heavy traffic, but overall a fun hike... Also took my lil jack Russell chihuahua...she loved it!!*

Extremely muddy and slick in some spots. Make sure you go slow and sidestep as you walk. The falls are gorgeous though! My three and five year old did amazing on this hike. Just take it slow as needed and you’ll be fine.

This hike was amazing! So beautifully green and so muddy. There were areas where we needed to use more caution so as to not slip on the rocks in the mud. We went on a Thursday and the trail was very crowded. In some areas the trail is quite narrow and the need to practice hiking courtesy is apparent, although not always utilized. The waterfall is beautiful and definitely picture worthy. Going back down is of course more difficult with more opportunities to slip. Overall, this hike is definitely worth the time it takes to go up and back down and it’s not too difficult if you’re not in a race.

Went during the middle of the day. Trail was very busy. My 4 year old was with and did fine, in his crocs. Its is very slippery so make sure to have the kids within arms reach if taking them.

Ive done Manoa a few times. Super easy hike that every tourist should do. 5$ parking so maybe just Uber there if youre not local. Cool waterfall for pics at the end. If you like going off the trail about halfway there is a spot that breaks to the left. There is a bunch of tree branches that you can climb all over and pop out of the top of the forrest. Probably my favorite part of the hike.

Beautiful trail you feel like your in a jungle!. We got there about 10am and it was crowded but not horrible but when we came back out around 12pm it was very crowded I would definitely recommend going earlier. you do have to pay $5 to park. It was raining pretty heavily on and off through the whole hike there was a lot of mud and it was slippery. I heard many parents say on there way up they did not feel this was a family friendly hike and my 8 year old nephew wasn't too fond of the rain and slippery conditions. I would say if you have more adventurous kids you would probably be ok. but all in all this trail was absolutely beautiful and I'm really glad we did it. I would recommend good shoes (I wore trail runners but wish I had on my hiking boots due to all the mud) and a rain jacket but other than that its a easy beautiful hike. I gave it 4 stars due to crowds and it being a very touristy hike

Beautiful trail would definitely do it again it rained majority of our hike but it didn’t bother us much we took our 4 children (9,6,4 & 1) they did the hike pretty easily had to lift the two younger ones up a few times but not that bad.

The first time I did this hike it started pouring rain half way up the hike. Added a bit of adventure to it with lots of mud and slippery rocks. But the 7 year old I was with made it up and down no problem. Beautiful hike but it’s kinda hard to swim in the waterfall pool so don’t count on it.

This is a pretty easy hike but you WILL get muddy and you should wear hiking shoes. Some people hike this barefoot or in flip flops, and it's scary to see them sliding in the mud. The vegetation is awesome and the waterfall is pretty. You will see people bathing in the pool at the bottom of the falls even though the pool is roped off. Parking was $5 and there is a gift shop with water, snacks and bug spray. You probably want the bug spray if you don't like mosquito bites.

Very busy trail full of people. Very muddy at places and the waterfall at the end was nice but not breathtaking. Still a nice little hike.

It’s an okay hike. I would do it again but it is busy with people! We did it in November and they were filming a movie there! So cool to see! It can get muddy! So wear actual hiking boots or closed toe shoes that can get muddy.

The waterfall was nice but definitely overcrowded. Easy, quick hike and was a nice way to warm up before the harder, longer hikes on the island.

Loved this hike. A little overcrowded, but not terrible. Highly recommend for a jungle hike while in island.

closed

Closed from June 26-28 https://hawaiitrails.hawaii.gov/trails/#/trail/manoa-falls-trail/225 The gardens have some nice hikes though! You can hear the falls roaring though