Manoa Falls Trail

Manoa Falls Trail is a 2.6 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2.6 km
163 m

A short hike to the base of Manoa Falls in the Manoa Valley in Honolulu, Oahu, the Manoa Falls Trail winds through a lush Hawaiian tropical rainforest filled with movie scene locations from Jurassic Park and LOST. The trail can be quite muddy, so proper closed toe footwear is recommended. Unfortunately, swimming is not allowed in the pool at the base of the waterfall but the views alone justify this easy hike. This area receives significant rainfall so check the weather before going to avoid flash floods. The trailhead is a short drive from downtown Honolulu and can be accessed at the end of Manoa Road.There is a $5 fee to park. Visitors might also be interested in the nearby Lyon Arboretum and Botanical Garden which preserves endangered Hawaiian plant species.

nice short hike

such a beautiful trail! was muddy because it had just rained, but otherwise very nice! easy trail to follow, so many interesting things to see & leads up to the waterfall! extra trail by the waterfall that would be longer but did not check it out.

Crowded nice waterfall in the end. Went Wednesday and it was muddy. Easy hike and nice scenery though

Lots of tourists, jam packed with groups and families. I was told this is more of a short nature walk than a hike and that it is very easy. While it's in the easy range, it could be strenuous for people who do not hike. The falls are beautiful, of course, the noise of the crowd was not.

Trail starts with an amazing opening view of the vegetation with mountains in the background. Nothing spectacular after that until the waterfall at the end. If it has not rained in a while, the waterfall is non-existent, making the trip unsatisfying.

great trip ... this is our second trip to Manoa Falls

My husband and I really enjoyed this hike! it was absolutely beautiful. We arrived very early in the morning and we're one of the first people there (I think 6am arrival). On our way to the falls we had the whole trail to ourselves and at the falls we had it to ourselves. I think had we waited until later in the morning the hike would have been a totally different experience with all the crowds. I would say this hike was a little harder than the "easy" level.. but that could also be because I'm pregnant lol. bring water and bug spray!

This trail was fairly short (as described online) but really beautiful and rainforest-y. It's more strenuous than I expected because it's a little bit rocky and you do hike up some steps, so you just have to be careful if you're unused to hiking or expecting a really simple path. There's internet connection along the whole trail and when I went late morning it wasn't too crowded until I got to the waterfall, which was definitely flowing despite the overall dryness of the hike (I was told it'd be really muddy but it wasn't). I also walked about 15 minutes along the side trail (Aihualama) at the waterfall but turned back because it looked pretty steep and not super safe. Lastly, don't forget insect repellent!

As an easy, short hike, this trail has it all. Lush tropical greenery, dramatic ecosystem, and a spectacular waterfall depending on time since the last rain. the first half of the trail is in amazing condition with gravel all along the trail making for very easy navigation. the last third or so seems to be more in the washout path and although very dry when we went, I would imagine it could be fairly slippery when wet. Moderate traffic on the trail, if dry would be fine for all ages. Took us about 45 mins in and out, we didn't pause long at the end. Again, not a strenuous or life changing hike, but nice for short and sweet. Would do again.

The falls are dried up (mostly) right now. Still a place to swim but not much of a waterfall left. Nice little hike though. If you keep going past the falls for a bit there’re some cool, lush sights in the forest.

Easy hike, but full of large rocks and roots to climb on along the way. Lots of steps on the trail, some are slippery, so bring your hiking sticks of you have a hard time with balance or knee issues. We saw dozens of beautiful birds and flowers. Take a moment to relax when the jungle opens up. There are so many birds in that area to see if you wait and are patient for a bit. The waterfall is the end of the hike, but it wasn't the best part of the hike for me. Definitely one of those "it's about the journey, not the destination" situations. Enjoy!

Oh and there are thousands of swarming mosquitoes. We used mosquito spray before the hike and no one was bitten.

Super fun, quick hike. Bring a bathing suit!

Nice little trail for beginners. muddy at the end but the fall is nice to see.

It’s an okay hike up, but the waterfall isn’t that great compared to others I’ve seen on the mainland. I guess it’s all perspective. Definitely a lot of people on the trail and just expect it to rain because that mountain constantly has rain. It rained our whole way up.

This is a very light hike, suitable for all ages and activity levels. It's a rainforest, and it may rain on this trail even when it's dry on other parts of the island. Absolutely beautiful trail and waterfall, looks like jurassic park! It is a fairly crowded trail, but there are snacks and bathrooms available near the parking lot. Best family hike on the island in my opinion! Opportunities for amazing photos.

It was fun. We loved the scenery on the way up but were a bit bummed we couldn’t swim in the water. Overall, a good hike. I saw young children and dogs doing it just fine.

Nice hike with beautiful falls. It was super overcrowded with lots of people not respecting the boundaries set.

Beautiful scenery, pretty waterfall at end. Nice very easy hike - lots of young families with little kids. It was way overcrowded the day we went and felt like I was in a line the entire time. What could have been a quick 30 minutes took over an hour. Go early!!! I prefer something more lightly traveled. If you want an easy hike with a family, this is perfect for that!

Yes it was very muddy. Parts of trail were washed out but there was always an alternate way to get through it. Free to do, was a mile each way, 1.6 km each way. Lots of traffic but best pictures. In my top 3 most beautiful hikes ever done. I would come prepared with a poncho though due to spontaneous downpours and would likely wear bug spray next time. They weren’t too bad but I did walk out with some bites. Parking was $5, poncho $2 in snack shop. Some people had flip flops on and were screaming and complaining. You should have good runners but preferably hikers. I didn’t slip at all in my Keen sandals. Many natural instagram opportunities. Like eye candy every few minutes.

The waterfall at the end makes the hike worth it but it was tougher than I expected. I’m surprised it’s rated as “easy” because while the incline isn’t bad, it’s extremely slippery and pretty muddy. The whole time you are walking through a rainforest though which provides a great view.

Very easy but interesting.

Too crowded

Too crowded

A little muddy but kids (6&8) did it easily, beautiful lush scenery. We paid $5 for parking.

I enjoy difficult hikes and I prefer less crowded trails but I still really enjoyed this trail despite how easy and crowded it was. It was simply gorgeous and the water fall was much better than most the waterfalls on Oahu I’ve seen (and worked way harder to get to! haha!). I took my little sister with to show her around the island and she is not a hiker so this was perfect for her.