Manoa Falls Trail

Manoa Falls Trail is a 2.4 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

2.4 km
138 m

A short hike to the base of Manoa Falls in the Manoa Valley in Honolulu, Oahu, the Manoa Falls Trail winds through a lush Hawaiian tropical rainforest filled with movie scene locations from Jurassic Park and LOST. The trail can be quite muddy, so proper closed toe footwear is recommended. Unfortunately, swimming is not allowed in the pool at the base of the waterfall but the views alone justify this easy hike. This area receives significant rainfall so check the weather before going to avoid flash floods. The trailhead is a short drive from downtown Honolulu and can be accessed at the end of Manoa Road.There is a $5 fee to park. Visitors might also be interested in the nearby Lyon Arboretum and Botanical Garden which preserves endangered Hawaiian plant species.

Nice nature walk for the family and kids. Giant trees followed by a beautiful waterfall. It can be muddy, but it adds to the experience!

A nice morning hike that only takes 1 hour roundtrip for those is above average shape. Absolutely do this hike in the morning. It is mid May and I was on the trail by 6:20am and only saw 3 people on my way to the falls. I had the opportunity to meditate and reflect for 10 minutes without anybody else around. On the hike back down I passed several groups, one in particular was 10 people large. So, yes, it is definitely worth going as early as possible. Wear hiking shoes or shoes with very good traction. It is muddy and it is more trick going down than going up.

Up and back 6.7miles to top of monoa ridge viewing area. Good trail, muddy conditions, tough on kids. Need good shoes for rocks and slippery conditions

Quick, shaded trail that anyone can do in 1-2 hours. The hike to the waterfall has a constant, moderate incline with a fair amount of rocks and mud. Minimal bugs. Great hike for novice climbers. If you’re an avid climber, this hike may feel too easy.

I went the entire way to the falls. Stopped tracking half way to save battery on my phone but, it’s a lot easier coming down than it was going up. Totally worth it tho.

It’s a beautiful place! Glad I was able to go. It’s muddy and you need bug spray. People at top are quite rude so get your picture. Don’t be afraid to ask them to move! It’s your memories!

The upper half was more difficult being wet, muddy and slippery. While scenic there were few vistas. I would have found this hike much more desirable except for the trail being overused with constant hiker traffic. Regardless, I was happy to have experienced this trail through a rain forest with green lush growth.

Rated it three stars because it is just too crowded. The upper half is a lot more slippery than the lower half. Next to no open vista views, the majority were jungle views. The jungle views were quite pretty. Due to the overuse, I recommend other trails over this one.

Walking without stopping takes about 30min in and 30 min out. After rainfall it turns a little muddy but nothing crazy, slippery in some parts. Hike is really busy all day. We went at about 9.30am and it was already quiet packed. At 11am most of the parking spots were empty again so I guess that would be a better time. Awesome nature on a quick and east hike.

Get there early to avoid excess foot traffic, otherwise great easy hike that is slightly more difficult when rainy.

This trail is beautiful. One of the best I have ever walked. Couldn’t stop staring at the beautiful plants and wildlife. I was happy wearing my hiking boots because they got super muddy and I didn’t mind. I did not need my hiking sticks. Placed them in my pack a few steps into the trail. I gave this four stars because the people on the trail are terrible. People crossing the marked path and hopping fences to get in the water. One group stood around watching their friend chop bamboo down for no reason. People smoking on the trail and flicking their butts. By the time I got back to my car, my faith in the ability of people to take care of this planet was DEAD. Glad I did it, but much patience to put up with fellow humans is needed.

I started my day hiking around the off trails of Lyon Arboretum just up the road from this entrance (highly recommend/$5 donation at visitor center) and then headed down to this hike. Manoa falls is very different from arboretum hikes and not to be missed. Went around 2:30pm and was minimally populated. A little muddy closer to falls, but dry everywhere else. Absolutely beautiful hike.

I did this hike last week. Manoa Falls is one of the most popular hikes in Oahu so it was a little crowded. However, the rainforest setting was picturesque and provided an amazing background for the hike. The falls at the end of the trail were beautiful. The trail itself was an easy in and out hike. It can get a little muddy in places so proper shoes would be suggested. Overall one of my favorite experiences of my time in Hawaii.

A beautiful hike! It is in the rain forest so the trail was muddy in places. It is a popular trail so lots of people. I recommend wearing hiking boots or good walking shoes.

Very very humid! Really beautiful jungle landscapes, awesome views! Slightly slippery in places, some still bathe in the basin of the fall

I dod the hile two day ago, and would rate this hike as easy, but filled with amazing out crop of what is around you. My girlfriend and I found many sections, within plants, that gave us many other sites to take picture, than any other person isbwilling to take. I will say to come at the opening of the park, or to come after four, just to a oid the crowds. The park could get pretty crazy Enjoy.

Beautiful hike ending with a huge waterfall. I would rate it as “easy” but it can get really muddy and slippery that slows everyone down. Did it after 6pm and it was still pretty crowded there. Parking is $5 but after we finished the hike, I noticed that the parking guy has already left, so if you come after 6-6.30, there is a chance you may park for free ;)

The trail was not hard but extremely busy at least for me.

5/4/2019-We started later, around 0900, because the weather was supposed to be pretty rainy. Still came across 35 groups/solo hikers who were just as crazy as us to go hiking in the rain. But the trail was pretty wet with minimal mud (thanks to the path being filled in with gravel) and Manoa Falls was an awesome sight to see! Totally worth the trek!

Beautiful trail. The greenery and the sounds are just magical. The moment you enter the trail you feel like being transported to a different world. It can get a bit muddy and wet, but that’s why it is a rainforest. Worth the mud on your shoes! Short and quick hike.

For sheer beauty it gets a four star rating from me. It’s stunning. Not a true workout if you’re hardcore, which I am not. It’s cool to explore and enough to earn a nice breakfast.

Beautiful? Yes! BUT....people everywhere. Honestly not that bad, especially if you go knowing there are going to be there. Now, the real gem here are the short off shoot trails that lead to pools formed in the spring. Wife and I hit everyone and it quickly became the highlight of our hike. it even put the waterfall to shame when we got to it. Or maybe that was the obnoxious idiot playing their boombox as loud as they could. So loud you couldnt hear the waterfall. SMH.

The best part was the forest views at the very start of the trail. If you've done other waterfall hikes before, this waterfall wasnt anything special. Lots of roots to step over but very easy hike. Saw lots of small children falling , but fine for mobile adults. Took us 45 minutes round trip and we were slowed down by slow walking people. The trail isnt very wide in most parts. If you havent seen waterfalls before, it's worth the trek :)

nice short hike

such a beautiful trail! was muddy because it had just rained, but otherwise very nice! easy trail to follow, so many interesting things to see & leads up to the waterfall! extra trail by the waterfall that would be longer but did not check it out.

Crowded nice waterfall in the end. Went Wednesday and it was muddy. Easy hike and nice scenery though