Manana Ridge Trail to Ko'olau Summit

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(87)
Ewa Forest Reserve

Manana Ridge Trail to Ko'olau Summit is a 9.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pearl City, Oahu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length9.8 miElevation gain2,657 ftRoute typeOut & back

Photos (990)
Activities (77)
Completed (172)
Ryan Morrissey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 17, 2021
Hiking

Very wet for last 1.5 mi. Trail needs time to dry.

View Ryan's activity
Driq Spurgeon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 14, 2021
Running

Muddy is an understatement!

View Driq's activity
Kailon Tyndzik
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 4, 2021
HikingGreat!

Ran straight up this hike at 12:42 like a boss. Half way you could no longer trail run. Deep in da jungle you must go for Dat summit. Straight send it and got to the summit by 15:27. That’s 2 hours and 45 minutes. Then ate some junky burger got sick going down. Got that stuff out and rambled back by 18:28. This hike took me less then 6 hours CUZ CAN. Anyone like race lmk!!!!

Justin Swan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 20, 2021
Hiking

It’s long and demoralizing and pretty and destroyed my calves.

View Justin's activity
Kaden Marter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 6, 2021
View Kaden's activity
Germ Bimpembo
View Germ's activity
Michael Flick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 7, 2021
MuddyPrivate property

Extremely muddy. Wear pants and bring water. There’s also a fence in the way that I assumed you had to walk past but. Yea I just went through it and reached the summit. Hard as hell though. Probably won’t do it again since I’ve done it once.

Daniel Robbins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 2, 2021

muddy af

View Daniel's activity
Steven Caniglia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 31, 2020
CampingGreat!Muddy

This hike is insanely long with ups and downs aka the rollercoaster of ridges in Hawaii. Super long and super muddy, this is definitely a hike you start at sunrise if you want to finish by sunset.

View Steven's activity
Tony Mizuno
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 11, 2020

Hard but worth it.

View Tony's activity
Porscha Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 26, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!

Good Hike very challenging for someone who doesn't hike very slippery and muddy well worth getting to the waterfall

Eric Mork
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 14, 2020
Running

Great run/hike. The trail got super steep super slippery slope super muddy it was super fun. It was hot, humid, rainy, cold, windy. Really hard to go fast as much of the trail has ferns and bushes covering the trail and underneath it is roots and mud. Make sure to bring plenty of water. The views at the end were spectacular

View Eric's activity
Josh Allen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 17, 2020
Hiking

Great hike out! the first 3.5 miles or so doesn't get much breeze and definitely adds to the humidity feel on cloudy days like the day I went. Take this into account when planning your water. I'm 5'11 225lbs, I brought about 4.5 liters which usually carries me through about ten miles but the first quarter was hot today. Overall great views, tons of flat landings along the trail that would be perfect to tent camp or stop for a break. I saw one other person on the main trail the entire day until I got a coupe miles away from the trailhead on the way back.

View Josh's activity
Chelsea McKay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 22, 2020
HikingMuddyScramble

This is the longer version of the trail, there is a much more do-able version called just “Manana Ridge Trail” on here that is only 6.8 miles. I did about 95% of this longer trail and it was brutal. My group went the full way and it took us 8 hours to do. For reference, it only took us 5.5 hours to Moanalua Valley to Stairway, and 5.5 hours to do Mount Ka’ala. We started at 9:15am and got back to our car at 5pm. We were completely defeated after. Once in the Ko’olaus, you ascend and descend about 6-7 peaks that are very muddy and ferny. The hike takes you into the clouds, and the view doesn’t get much better once you ascend the first Koolau summit. Just be mentally and physically prepared for a brutal hike. I am writing this the day after I completed it and I feel like I have a hangover from this hike. We all ran out of water before the top (each had about 2.5 liters).

Carlos Padilla
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

I recommend wearing spikes on your shoes for this hike. Very muddy at the top and the spikes provide a decent grip when you walk. Great scenery on the way up but once at the top I was covered in thick clouds and it never cleared up so you couldn’t see anything after all that work I put in. Disappointed. The hike is a great workout. I think I lost 2 pounds From where I parked to the summit took me 3.5hrs one way. Just over 2 and a half hours to get back. I was moving. Good luck

Justin Swan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

It was so muddy but I still really liked it. I had to go slow because it felt like I was trying to walk up greased down water slides but I wouldn’t say it was actually all to hard. Near the top you can see little mountain streams and waterfalls. The summit was cloudy but I kinda always like that. Gives it some of that moody ambience.

View Justin's activity
Casey Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
HikingNo shadeRockyScramble

The first 3 miles or so are surprisingly graded for being a ridge hike. This is definitely for those who like the endurance challenge of hikes. There's a good chance you won't be able to get views at the top due to clouds. I started off way too fast and ended up really gassed on the way back down. I would reccomend taking your time going up to ensure you have enough energy going back down. The overgrowth / mud isn't unbearable, but for those not used to ridge hikes, the length coupled with both might make it not seem worth it. Glad to cross another ridge off the list.

View Casey's activity
Matthew Ryan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 10, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

The last two miles of the trail is incredibly overgrown. I went a day after it rained and there were loads of puddles, and mud. Bring waterproof boots and lots of water

View Matthew's activity
Nichole Woods
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 6, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownScramble
View Nichole's activity
Zander Kempf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2020
Hiking

Came down Waimano ridge trail, rougher on the way up and very nice and smooth on the way down. Beautiful views and nice knife edge exposure

View Zander's activity
Anthony Thornton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
HikingOver grownScramble

Got goosebumps at the summit from the views! Bring at LEAST 2 liters of water! Pants are also a great thing to wear.

View Anthony's activity