Learn more

Maakua Ridge Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hauula, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 3.7 mi Elevation gain 1,030 ft Route type Loop
Dog friendly Hiking Nature trips Walking Bird watching Running Forest Views Wild flowers Wildlife Over grown
Description
Waypoints (0)
Tips
Getting There

Ma`akua Ridge Trail (Papali Trail) is located near Hau'ula, Hawaii. The trail is great for trail running and normally takes 1-3 hours. It's a nice distance, and with lots of shade, it's a good one to do any time, any season. This one can be a bit moister than the Hau`ula Loop Trail.

Tell someone where you're going. Hike or run with a buddy. Bring water; while the jungle segments remain moist, the nearest water is back at the beach. Park at Hau'ula Beach Park, Hauula, HI 96717. Don't leave valuables in your car; the signs are there for a reason.

Park at Hau'ula Beach Park, Hauula, HI 96717.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (109)
Photos (161)
Recordings (108)
Completed (227)
Running Around
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 15, 2020
HikingGreat!

The trail is very clear cut and good views. The hike starts out with many switchbacks to gain some elevation quickly. I took me 1 hour and 40 mins to complete and from where I parked on a side street total distance was 3.75 miles.

Virginia Petitte
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 3, 2020
Hiking

Trail was good but the current map as of Nov 2nd isn’t accurate. Only giving a low rating because I went an hour and a half before sunset and ended up hiking over five miles in total. Got back in time before sunset. If you follow the map you will lose service and hit a fork.

Kimo Villon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2020
View Kimo's Recording
Big Dan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2020

I'm interested in doing this hike as well as haiku stairs. dbgoodfella on IG or bdan870 on snap if interested. I'm here for a few more weeks. Looking for people to hike with before I head home.

Caleb Jorgensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2020

Nice and shady, just not many view points

View Caleb's Recording
CN L7
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 16, 2020
HikingRocky

5/16/2020-Started around 0745 and saw 19 people who had the same idea. Weather was nice and most of the trail is shaded with a good breeze the whole time. No muddy sections but there are several areas with trees and/or low branches blocking the path so you’ll have to weave your way through. Otherwise, it’s a fun trek through the forest!

View CN's Recording
Serge Hnatkovych
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 11, 2020
HikingBugs

Has a shade all trail. In the beginning of the trail was some mosquitoes. Nice walk with some many different plants and trees almost every 10 minutes, what makes the trail interesting. No water in the rivers. No view, just in the beginning at one stop. Overall great for nice walk into the forest.

Crystal Husted
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 9, 2020
Hiking

This trail is on good condition. My dogs did just fine on it and I think it’d be good for kids too. This trail is also really boring. There was one spot with a view about half a mile up other than that there’s no other views. It’s good to do got some cardio but it’s nothing amazing

View Crystal's Recording
Rachel Zalewski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 2, 2020
HikingBugs

Love love love this trail! It starts in a very nice neighborhood and begins with easily found signage and info. Walking along the paved portion of the trail you will find amazing art work painted on the wall. Some of the best I’ve seen on the island. This trail has it all the sights, shade, water crossings, a huge rock formation, two benches, and picnic area and amazing ridge/valley paths that are easily marked. A total of 4 ridge line views, 3 valleys and 2 crossings. This is a doable trail for experienced and endurance capable kiddos and amazing for dogs. This is one of my new favorites. Loved every second. It is clocking in around 4 miles total.

View Rachel's Recording
EL P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 29, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

my recording is actually of the Maakua Gulch Trail which All Trails doesn't have a losing for.

View EL's Recording
Tiffany Crosby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 25, 2020
HikingOver grown
View Tiffany's Recording
Sara Groban
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 13, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

Amazing trail. Ya it’s a little overgrown but that was the fun part! It’s very easy to follow. There are ribbons on the trees to follow. It was slippery and muddy but we did totally fine in trail runners. Super fun hike. Do it.

View Sara's Recording
Mike Allen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 24, 2019
Hiking

Heavily overgrown on part of the trail. We decided to turn back because the trail stopped being fun.

View Mike's Recording
Julia Rovnan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 6, 2019
HikingBugs

Nice trail. Mega muddy and a bit slippery but overall a fun trail run. Next time will explore the ridge more!

View Julia's Recording
Nour Lababidi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 8, 2019
Hiking

I don't think the miles are correct. I think this is 4 miles and if not then it feels like longer than 2.x miles. too slippery not for beginners for sure

View Nour's Recording
Dave ives
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 29, 2019
Hiking

I found this trail to be about the perfect mix of grade and flat spots. I went clockwise and had no issues. Yes there are spots where the trail is a bit overgrown, but it was easy to find. The worst spot was climbing up a small creek bed for maybe 20 meters. Someone was nice enough to flag it, so no problems. The trail is soft in some spots, so watch your footing and try to maintain 3-points of contact. I would not recommend it in the rain or the day after a downpour.

gabby Fafard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 27, 2019
HikingOver grownWashed out

took the trail knowing there was going to be overgrowth/wash out/mud etc. Didnt however plan on taking the wrong turn towards the end of the trail just before the waterfall. We took the counterclockwise loop route and headed on reaching a point where two trails were marked with flags about .5 of a mile from the waterfall we decided the path to the left looked way to washed out and to many trees were down to be a path so we headed up a steep mountain ridge that eventually got us over 1000ft plus with a vertical drop on each side of us and a foot of clearance in some steep sections we both decided that the trail was continuing up and not down anytime soon and crab crawled down the ridge so I guess you could consider us professional hikers

Zelli Montgomery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 9, 2019
HikingBugsMuddyOver grown

This hike is pretty nice, one half of the loop is somewhat overgrown though, and the other is relatively steep and muddy (this time of year at least). The real interesting part of the trail comes when you reach the end of the first half of the loop though. If you keep going up vs back down there is a spectacular ohia, uluhe forest with great views on all sides. I started this hike pretty late in the day so I didn't have time to explore this off shoot but thanks to the other reviewer for pointing it out. Next time I go back I'm certainly taking it as far as I can go. Also lots of rotten strawberry guava this time of year, and WOW mosquitos as you ascend down in elevation. Pretty gnarly. But as you climb up conditions get way better. Also as with any area with Ohia trees please be mindful to spray boots with 75 % rubbing alcohol between this hike and others to not spread the tree killing disease rapid ohia death.

Adam Armbrust
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2019
Running

Alright trail hunters. I was reading some of your reviews and @anne made a good observation. When you reach the fork with no signs after your initial ascent if you want the challenge, a lil rush and a gnarly climb take the road less travelled. Instead of going right or straight keep smashing up the mountain to the left. Like Beyoncé says. I went through about 2 -2 1/2 miles on the trail then turned back when the light started fade. I didn’t know where the end was as there is no map. Do it. I didn’t take water. A two miler became a quick 5 AND added about 1,000 feet in accent. The views are worth it. Trust. Get it team!

Creighton Piper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 14, 2019
Hiking

Took me just over an hour to hike this trail. Part of it was slow going because multiple trees were down and some parts seemed a bit washed out. I don’t think it has been maintained for some time. I actually lost the trail for 5 solid minutes and only managed to find it again by using AllTrails GPS. There was one lookout that afforded subpar views of the nearby beaches and Hauula. Other than that, no views (for a ridge hike, I expected great views). Scenery was jungle-esque, 98% shaded. I would not recommend bringing kids along. If you are looking for a rugged, lightly travelled trail to test your navigation skills, this is a great trail. If you are looking for views, safety emphasis and ease of navigation, you will be disappointed.

View Creighton's Recording
Cloé Giroux
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 15, 2019
HikingBlowdownBugsOver grown

Très belle vue au sommet! Par contre, la seconde partie de la trail (après la vue du sommet, lorsqu’on continue la loop), la végétation devient quand même dense, donc il est préférable de porter des pantalons. À faire tôt le matin car il y a peu d’ombre.

Martin Rehwald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 30, 2019
Hiking

Definitely a nice little hike. We went at the end of a rainy day. Not too muddy but in some areas slippery. For sure not a easy family hike! Be prepared. Some steeper parts, tricky when it is wet. We got into quite some adventure when we returned to the creek which has been completely dry about 1.5 hours earlier even after the rainy day - so we did not expect any surprise. The water was waist deep and flowing at a decent speed. Decent effort to get everyone safely to the other side! Short distance, so even with the wet and partially slippery conditions 2-2.5 hours are manageable with a family (youngest was 9 at the time of the hike). Take this hike serious though, have proper shoes and water.

Annie Burdett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 23, 2019
Hiking

We love Hau’ula Loop Trail so we tried this one. It was a nice trail that is mostly shaded. There is one nice coastal/ocean view toward the beginning. This is actually a loop trail. We went clockwise when we got to the split. The 2nd half does have some overgrown parts, some fallen trees to go over/under, and some erosion (just take your time). Some spots you have to crouch to go through tunnels of trees. If you have back problems you wont like those areas. On the last 1/3 (or so) there is a split and we were not sure what to do! We chanced it and went straight (or right) instead of taking a sharp turn up and to the left. Both ways were marked with ribbons! Luckily going STRAIGHT took us back the correct way. Took us a couple hours. Maybe a little longer because we stopped at the lookout near the beginning. It was pretty dry when we went because we haven’t had much rain in a while. So the river bed was totally dry. You cross the riverbed right at the beginning. Plenty mosquitoes on this trail. If you want a little better maintained trail and a couple cute stream crossings I suggest Hau’ula Loop Trail. But this was definitely a cool adventure anyway. Parking in the neighborhood is tough. I suggest parking at the beach park across Kam Hwy. Then just go straight up the road to the trailhead.